Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Interesting that Houli walked out on Essendon when he did. He must have know the place was on the nose way before they imploded.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I'm not religious but Bachar is just a wonderful human being - religions all have many different interpretations and he takes what is good from Islam and spreads it around. Those who use Islam to justify violence or who want to take over the world in its name need to listen to the many millions of Muslims who have the same view of Islam as Bachar.

DS
When I moved to Abu Dhabi I worked out fairly quickly that the Islam reported on in the media is vastly different to the majority. They def need more Bachars to give a more balanced view to the West. He's a great ambassador alright.

Reactions: 5 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Interesting that Houli walked out on Essendon when he did. He must have know the place was on the nose way before they imploded.

Of course, we'll never know, but one can't help think that Bachar would have refused to be part of the injecting program instituted by Hird and Dank.
Bachar is his own man and no puppet.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Interesting to reflect on that point. Since the 80's essendon prided itself on being a special club, family values, progressive. I remember when they drafted houli it was seen as a perfect fit. His departure was symbolic. It is amazing how far they have fallen.

However don't want to distract from bachar.

So much to be proud about our club.

And bachar is an amazing Australian.

Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I heard a Bachar Houli Foundation ad the other day and loved hearing something like “triple premiership playing Richmond footballer”

It sure beats whatever tag he would’ve got at Essendon...

Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Argh zips.
Suitcases Chaffey.
Had the guns out like he was carrying 2 suitcases under each arm to accentuate the biceps.
Hence the nickname. :))
Also reminded me of Dipper one time referred to him as Mark Chafey. As in Chafe e.
Bloody classic.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Sorry if I have missed something but as far as I am aware, there has not been any actual announcement from the RFC or from Bachar Houli that he has signed a new contract. With the draft coming up today and the clubs having already lodged first (and possibly second) list lodgments with the AFL, it seems very strange that there is, apparently, no actual confirmation that he has signed a new contract. I would have thought that the club would be very keen to announce that a triple premiership hero (and with his foundation) is staying on for another year. I had hopes that Eggmolese-Smith could be a successor for Houli after Houli retires but obviously the club didn't see it that way.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Just finished reading his book - Faith, Family and Football - it’s a great read and he is a great Richmond man.

I am pretty confident that he will be at the tigers next year, maybe his last.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Heard on the news Monday? That a deal was pretty much done n Bash had another year in front of him.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I've had a thing about running backs for 30 yer or more. I'm at them. I want at least three running backs on the park.

I want them to break lines.

Breaking the line. Coming from behind a line of opponents with the ball or to receive the ball is gold. It forces the outnumber.

Peter Matera was a genius at this. When he played HB. That's how fr back I have to go to find somebody to compare to Houli for line breaking from HB. And Houli is miles better at work in formation. In the hole.

For running backs in Richmond's history, that I've seen, I have Houli #1. Keane. Bourke. Sheedy. Houli. Houli the best line breaker. And good in defence.

Houli. Best running back for Richmond in my time. Not many of his quality in the game ever.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Agree Dyer’ere, Houli is a critical part of our puzzle to the point where some oppositions have even put a tag on him.

I think this last final series shows that Short now has this position well covered with Baker are handy addition also. CAN stack recover his career to be our third, or do we need to develop a player like RCD to play this role.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Just finished reading his book - Faith, Family and Football - it’s a great read and he is a great Richmond man.

I am pretty confident that he will be at the tigers next year, maybe his last.
I read it over the last week or so and I was actually a bit disappointed by it. I was expecting a lot of stuff about his faith and I was happy to read about it but I got a bit bored reading about all intricate details of the rules to be honest.
I have enormous respect for what Bachar is doing and I think he is an important influencer in Muslim society but I thought the book was a bit light on for football detail

Reactions: 1 user