Back-To-Back-To-Back: 2019-2020-2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Back-To-Back-To-Back: 2019-2020-2021

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you are going to include VFL flags then maybe you have to include WAFL and SANFL flags for Port and Freo before they entered the AFL.

In terms of club history, clubs should be proud of flags in the WAFL or SANFL. The AFL is really an extension of the VFL competition, which was the premier competition in Australia, so I have no problem with VFL flags counting. If you want to get technical it's much harder to win a flag now by virtue of more teams in the comp so if people want to draw a line between VFL and AFL comps that's OK.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If you are going to include VFL flags then maybe you have to include WAFL and SANFL flags for Port and Freo before they entered the AFL.

Now there's a can of worms.

Let's have a good look at this.

For a start the VFL became the AFL. The AFL was not formed by an amalgamation of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL - it only came from the VFL.

Next up: West Coast, Fremantle, Port Power and Adelaide were never in any other league so they get no flags because . . . they have no flags.

The argument about VFA flags is similarly flawed. The VFA back when Geelong won a few would have barely had an organised fixture and you would need to put a cut off date well after 1877 to make this reasonable. Where do you draw the line? Too difficult. In saying this we lose 2 flags we won in the VFA after the VFL was formed.

The one that I do have trouble with is whether Fitzroy flags count for the Brisbane Lions. A lot of lists have Brisbane on 3 flags. I disagree, that was a merging of the Brisbane Bears and the Fitzroy Football Club - they get all flags from both sides before the merger, plus the post merger flags, that makes 11 from memory.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have read in a few places that without Dusty we are not that great. What the footy world hasn’t woken up to yet is that we are now a player development factory.
Take a look at the grand final side which is choc full of draftees in 2nd, 3rd and later rounds as well as rookies etc.
Behind them is a list of others who will also step up because our player development is elite. There was so much talent that couldn’t get a game on Saturday.
It is so impressive.
We will roll on for a few years yet

Reactions: 7 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The things that the AFL world needs to wake up to is actually quite a short lIst. There are only three items on It.

1. Richmond nailed the 2015 Rookie Draft in the most convincing fashion in the history of drafting. Short, Castagna, Lambert and Soldo. Six years in and this group has contributed 340 games, 190 goals, 9 Premierships and a B&F in a Premiership year. Most teams are lucky if they find one half decent rookie every three years.

2. The All-Australian selectors left the Norm Smith Medallist and the Premiership team B&F out of the 2019 team, along with Nick Vlastuin and Shane Edwards.

In 2020, they were smart enough to include Dusty but still left out Short and Vlastuin. They weren’t even smart enough to include Bolton in the best under23 team. But by all means, keep selecting Tom Stewart and Paddy Dangerfield each year.

Morons.

3. They need to give credit where it is due. Richmond Football Club.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Now there's a can of worms.

Let's have a good look at this.

For a start the VFL became the AFL. The AFL was not formed by an amalgamation of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL - it only came from the VFL.

Next up: West Coast, Fremantle, Port Power and Adelaide were never in any other league so they get no flags because . . . they have no flags.

The argument about VFA flags is similarly flawed. The VFA back when Geelong won a few would have barely had an organised fixture and you would need to put a cut off date well after 1877 to make this reasonable. Where do you draw the line? Too difficult. In saying this we lose 2 flags we won in the VFA after the VFL was formed.

The one that I do have trouble with is whether Fitzroy flags count for the Brisbane Lions. A lot of lists have Brisbane on 3 flags. I disagree, that was a merging of the Brisbane Bears and the Fitzroy Football Club - they get all flags from both sides before the merger, plus the post merger flags, that makes 11 from memory.

DS
All good points David. The AFL is an expanded VFL competition; that is an undeniable fact. All the supporters of the SA and WA teams just need to suck that up and move on. The posturing on the issue is pathetic.

Same as the old VFA. The VFL was not an expansion of the VFA or any sort of incarnation. It was formed by a breakaway group of clubs. They were 2 separate competitions so the flags from the old VFA before the VFL was formed do not count.

That said there is one bonus for us if only flags from the VFL era were counted; we would be equal 3rd (instead of equal 4th as now) and we'd be ahead of all of Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon :))

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As an aside was there a Fremantle in the WAFL? There may be if Freo is actually South Fremantle or East Fremantle but I am not sure it is.
Someone on here will know

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I’m stealing material from Bigfoot’s tiger71 but we recruit for 1. Competitiveness 2. Willingness to learn and improve 3. Selflessness / team first. So footballers who have demonstrated these attributes growing up.

It so shines through in EVERYTHING. Listen to K Macs interview before the GF. Happy marlion got a chance to play gf (3). Wanted to get better so he didn’t miss out again (1+2). Look at baker and bolts table tennis match.(1) The whole teams monopoly competition in the hub.(1) Balta’s interest in asking questions about everything (2). Even dusty taking unders and hiding his Normies. (3) These qualities are brilliant and you can’t copy them if you don’t recruit them IMO. Listen to Neale (Brownlow speech) and Dangerfield (personal desire to win GF - nothing about team success) - they don’t have 3 shining through when you hear them talk.

Reactions: 8 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As an aside was there a Fremantle in the WAFL? There may be if Freo is actually South Fremantle or East Fremantle but I am not sure it is.
Someone on here will know

From memory there was a Fremantle team, with another name, early 20th/late 19th century, wait a minute, I'll look it up - Imperials, that's it. Plus some predecessors to East and South Fremantle. There are 8 premierships listed as Fremantle, clearly these are not the team we now have called Fremantle so they can't claim any of those. Last flag was in 1898. Also some overlap between East Fremantle and one of the earlier Fremantle teams so clearly different clubs.

If they claim them, then do we get to claim any silverware from the Richmond team (a "junior" team from before 1885 - junior meaning not the top competition at the time rather than young players from what I have read) which pre-dated the team we are now, the one started in 1885?

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
3 flags in 4 years has the team in the conversation with the greats.

To claim 4 in 5 years, including 3 in a row would have the team in the conversation as the greatest.

To claim 5 in 6 years, including 4 in a row would be indisputably the greatest ever.

Most of our side is young enough to be realistically capable of another 2 seasons of contention, and the opportunity to attract top quality free agents if required will be there.

It is really just a question of motivation and the luck of the footy gods with injury.

Good post, Big Richo
Of course there are plenty of reasons that could derail your proposition, "the luck of the footy gods" being a very prominent one.
Yet, I also agree that the Tigers are very well positioned to create and have sustained success over the next three to four years ... maybe at a stretch, five years.
I already believe that Richmond will do the three-peat in 2021.
Four and five in a row are possibilities.
But I will dream about those when I have finished celebrating going B2B2B in 2021.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I’m stealing material from Bigfoot’s tiger71 but we recruit for 1. Competitiveness 2. Willingness to learn and improve 3. Selflessness / team first. So footballers who have demonstrated these attributes growing up.

It so shines through in EVERYTHING. Listen to K Macs interview before the GF. Happy marlion got a chance to play gf (3). Wanted to get better so he didn’t miss out again (1+2). Look at baker and bolts table tennis match.(1) The whole teams monopoly competition in the hub.(1) Balta’s interest in asking questions about everything (2). Even dusty taking unders and hiding his Normies. (3) These qualities are brilliant and you can’t copy them if you don’t recruit them IMO. Listen to Neale (Brownlow speech) and Dangerfield (personal desire to win GF - nothing about team success) - they don’t have 3 shining through when you hear them talk.

A good read. Thanks, Roar

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Interesting read regarding our dynasty - it sort of undermines what we have done and downplays our dominance.

To build a team during the compromised drafts and then to continually blow away our opposition shows how dominate we are - just because the opposition can’t keep up with us means jack crap and shows the world how good we are - not the other way round.

They fail to see how we not just scrape over the line in tight games (which we can do re Port), but we destroy teams to the point they can’t recover.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Interesting read regarding our dynasty - it sort of undermines what we have done and downplays our dominance.

To build a team during the compromised drafts and then to continually blow away our opposition shows how dominate we are - just because the opposition can’t keep up with us means jack crap and shows the world how good we are - not the other way round.

They fail to see how we not just scrape over the line in tight games (which we can do re Port), but we destroy teams to the point they can’t recover.

What does that even mean, “no legitimate rival”? I read the article, he talks more about “traditional “ rivals. It’s funny, before the 3 GFs there’s no talk of how easy it is for Richmond (Adelaide were faves in ‘17, I think it was even for ‘19 and ‘20.) but after the event the excuses come out.

Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
What does that even mean, “no legitimate rival”? I read the article, he talks more about “traditional “ rivals. It’s funny, before the 3 GFs there’s no talk of how easy it is for Richmond (Adelaide were faves in ‘17, I think it was even for ‘19 and ‘20.) but after the event the excuses come out.
Exactly ,
That article sounds like it is written by Andy Maher , that is the type of rubbish he would come out with,

He said a few days before the GF, we are going to get tested this time , the other 2 GFs we were up against weak opposition ,

Wayne Campbell was talking to him at the time and said , im not sure about that , Adelaide were in red hot form and were firm favorites in 17 , more so than Geelong this year

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
We do have a traditional rival. The team in blue and white hoops who change their name to the Washington Generals when they play us in finals!

Reactions: 4 users

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Hawthorn beat 3 different (interstate) teams, geelong beat 3 different teams. Geez they dig deep to try and find an asterix!!!!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We do have a traditional rival. The team in blue and white hoops who change their name to the Washington Generals when they play us in finals!

the big question for you lamby is "is Chris Scott still a better coach than Damien Hardwick?" :afro :afro :afro

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
the big question for you lamby is "is Chris Scott still a better coach than Damien Hardwick?" :afro :afro :afro
I am driven by the facts Anty. When I posted tables which set out win loss percentages they pretty much speak for themselves. Any melts posters might have had speak to their own preconceptions or idiosynchrasies.

Of course Dimma has rectified his initially poor finals record. No 1 and outstripped Clarko :oops:

Scotty doesn't fare quite so well.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I am driven by the facts Anty. When I posted tables which set out win loss percentages they pretty much speak for themselves. Any melts posters might have had speak to their own preconceptions or idiosynchrasies.

Of course Dimma has rectified his initially poor finals record. No 1 and outstripped Clarko :oops:

Scotty doesn't fare quite so well.

Good to see you've revised your opinion Lambster, takes a big man to do that.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Yeah I was gonna say this as well. Geelong are pretty much a traditional rival for this team.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah I was gonna say this as well. Geelong are pretty much a traditional rival for this team.

Arrogant cat fans used to deny this, saying we weren't worthy to be considered a rival like Hawthorn is. But given we've smacked them in finals 3 times now in our premiership years they'll have to start paying attention.

The only problem is in a true rivalry you'd expect them to win some of the time ;)

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users