Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005
Re: Been to a good gig lately?

12 hours later man and the words are still going round in my head :spin

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Thanks TC, great review. Did they have a fourth member on stage?

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London

I just got home from seeing the Foo Fighters at Earls Court. (They get around. When were they out there - a week and a half ago??) What a blast!!! They played for 1 hour 40 and barely stopped all the way playing a great set.

Earl's Court (basically a huge dilapidated barn) was packed and the crowd went off right from the opening "In Your Honour" which started with buzz saw guitars. From that they went straight into No Way Back and then into My Hero ("Let's sing an old one *smile* loud!!") Grohl is a fantastic front man - a relaxed I-don't-give-a-*smile* attitude and a great rapport with the crowd. I never really took my eyes off Grohl or Hawkins' drumming because Shiflett and Mendel aren't at all demonstrative - happy enough hanging off to the sides of the stage ploughing through the set list.

The band was super tight. Taylor Hawkins is a thrashing machine up back, all flashing white teeth and flying hair. I was a little disappointed that he woossed it a bit on the fills at the end of Best of You but I'm probably being a bit picky there.

I had a great view of the stage and the mosh pit which at times looked like a production line as bodies were continually rolled over heads to the front security barriers only to be grabbed by the security staff and marched back into the crowd where they'd rejoin their friends and do it all again.  I swear the guys right at the front would occasionally try and throw one of the surfers up on to the stage. They failed though - those security guys know their stuff!

Times Like These (my fav Foos number) was an absolute highlight and it was followed by Grohl leaping off the stage and running around the crowd down to the mixing desk (3/4 of the way back) where he stood on a chair and duelled guitars with Shiflett who was back on stage. When he got back to the stage he said when he does that he often gets his nipples tweaked and his bum grabbed by the crowd and he reckons he loves it!

He started to tell a story that involved him sitting in the crowd for the Coldplay concert earlier in the week (same venue) but when he mentioned Coldplay the crowd booed loudly! Grohl says "Hey they're friends of mine, be nice!"

Generator, Learn to Fly, Breakout were all given barnstorming renditions. During the encore Hawkins and Grohl swapped places for a song. We all know Grohl's a legend behind the kit but unfortunately Taylor aint no Dave behind the mike. They then finished with All My Life which brought the house down. "Done, done, on to the next one done, done, on to the next one. . ."

Sensational!

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

There were several others, another lead guitarist, trumpet sax and piano etc

The guitarist is the same one that pops up on all the live gig videos

Not sure if he is in the When September Ends video, I'll watch it on MTV

Oh no MTV doesn't play music these days :hihi Video Hits then

When September Ends was so emotional too :'(

Someone dressed as Santa?? And a xmas tree

They were all introduced a couple of times

The trumpet player (??) was origonally an Aussie

May be why they were in so tune with the crowd

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

I'll be getting tickets for them next time too TGN

They sounded GREAT too :clap :clap

I prefer them to Nirvana, Dave Grohl has certainly stepped up since those days

Sounds like he is as big a larrikin as he appears on TV

Agree with the crowd re Coldplay too

Parachutes was the most disappointing album I have ever bought

OK for 1 song but string a few together with that whiney little fella :asleep :asleep :asleep

Times have changes haven't they?? Most the good tough bands are coming from USA

TigerGoneNorth

Feb 6, 2005
London

TC said:
There were several others, another lead guitarist, trumpet sax and piano etc

The guitarist is the same one that pops up on all the live gig videos

Not sure if he is in the When September Ends video, I'll watch it on MTV

Oh no MTV doesn't play music these days :hihi Video Hits then

Yeah what is it with MTV these days. Have they changed the meaning of the M to Muck?

(Green Day played on the Jonathon Woss show over here when they toured earlier this year and had an extra guitarist with them then too. Tough one that isn't it - kind of almost a rock star but not quite.

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney

That's a great rundown too TGN!! :clap I missed the Foos when they were here recently but heard it was fantastic. I just LOVE Times Like These and Best of You. I've only ever seen footage of Grohl and man does he know how to work the crowd.

Sounds like a great night had by all!

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne

Recently,a guitar student played a dvd of a recent concert of David Bowie in action live.....I gotta tell ya...that guy is a freak!
60 years on and still in really good nick....and performing better than ever...how he does it I dont know....same with Mick Jagger and John Fogarty.....stellar stuff and inspirational.....the same with Eric Clapton.......

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

jb the second guitarist is Jason White

I just listened to the UK live soundtrack abd Billy Joe credits him

Not sure if he is in the video, but it's probably him

He was seen a lot on the Live 8 concert too

Listening to the live recording reminded me of the fireworks and flames

Very well orchestrated

I had goose bumps listening to Bullet in the Bible, so much like the Aussie gig

But ours was much longer :clap

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

He he me again rambling on :hihi

Another thing that was good about last night, and something they often do....

They call a drummer bass player and guitarist out of the mosh and give them 3 chords to play

And form a band, what a buzz for these dudes, Green Day's amps are so powerful >:D

The kids wanted me to play the bass, but no way I was gonna do it

Although when I saw the 3 chords I was spewin I wasn't in the front row

The girl they picked was really good and was riffing her own stuff by the end

The drummer had played for 4 years and swapped seats with Tre pretty well

The guitarist was a kid that had only played for 4 months

BJ was pretty dubious, asked him if he had ever been laid

Then said well you are gonna be tonight and picked him out

He struggled a bit and BJ gave him his guitar so he could practise

The bass player got a special treat, she was to stage dive

He had to coax her to do it, but no way the pit was going to let her fall

They were calling her out, she did the 20 metre or so run up into the crowd and dived

Then disappeared away on the hands of the crowd

What an absolutely mindblowing night for them

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

Ah, they did do that. Was gonna ask you because they did a similar thing at Livid in 2000. Just a guitarist for a three-chord number. Grabbed this bloke with green hair out and gave him the guitar and then asked his name. Mumbles into the mic, "I'm Dan." Billy Joe tells him that that's not good enough and he has to really yell this time, so bloke steps up to the mic again.... "MY NAME IS *smile* DAN!!!"

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

:rotfl

There was a lot of that last night too

The kids asked if they were allowed to swear for the evening

How could I say no?? They would have to miss the lyrics to most songs :hihi

And he introduced himself as Billy Joe *smile* Armstrong

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

So far I've seen (in the past couple of months)

Steve Earl and the Dukes - he was pretty cool but a little flat in comparison with his performance at the Prince last year.
Joe Cocker - his voice was still in "good" condition.
John Foggarty - was an excellent performance, so fit and active for a 60 year old.
Greenday - excellent stuff. Pretty much did everything in the same pattern as the live cd/dvd, but interacted with the crowd lots. It was a shame that with music in the state that it is (ie so many manufactured bands/musicians) that more people didn't get behind these guys.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

There was a lot of space in the Idiot Zone General

They should have made it smaller seeing they knew how many tickets had been sold

And brought all the standing general closer to the stage

Level 1 seating was packed, and level 2 looked full too

Still think they sold more tickets than the Aints or Doggies :hihi

TigerGoneNorth

Feb 6, 2005
London

TC said:
:rotfl

There was a lot of that last night too

The kids asked if they were allowed to swear for the evening

How could I say no?? They would have to miss the lyrics to most songs :hihi

And he introduced himself as Billy Joe *smile*ing Armstrong

Grohl says *smile* every second word too. What ever happened to old style values? :rofl

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

TC said:
jb the second guitarist is Jason White

I just listened to the UK live soundtrack abd Billy Joe credits him

Not sure if he is in the video, but it's probably him

Thanks TC. I watched a making of the When September Ends video today and they credit the 'other guy' but I missed his name. They mention he has been in previous Green Day videos and met them way back at some festival or something so I am assuming he is the guy. Funny though, in the video they never show him in close up.

I'lll watch the show again as MTV will repeat it ad nauseum.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

In between, Pimp my Ride, Dirty Sanchez, Footballer's Cribs, The 70s House, Miss Seventeen etc etc etc

They may get to play a video or two :hihi

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

TC said:
In between, Pimp my Ride, Dirty Sanchez, Footballer's Cribs, The 70s House, Miss Seventeen etc etc etc

They may get to play a video or two :hihi

Maybe, usually at 25 past as the 'half hour' shows finish early. Hence you get two songs per hours, one at 25 past the other at 5 minutes to the hour.

Then to make matters worse, they have a sort of song of the day, or even week where that is the only song they play all day, so you hear it twice an hour for a week or whatever the rotation is. Very disappointing and waht's worse, channel V seem to be heading the same way.

Otis

Voodoo Child
Dec 24, 2004
Melbourne

only good thing about MTV is when they do those Beavis and Butthead marathons... although it has been a while since they've done this :mad: