Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
How were the Gunners? :unsure:

Also found out Dimma was at the Metricon Concert as well.

Three great Tigers all at Metricon - Campbell, Dimma and myself!! :eyes

View attachment 17613
It was great. Thought they were better than in 2017. However I've seen some complaints about the mix and Axl's voice and they were legitimate complaints IMO. Slash is the undoubted star of the show and think if anything he gets undersold as a guitarist. Disappointingly they dropped Coma from the setlist.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I was there as well, not too far from the front.

Slash is a beast. He held that show together for 3hrs. Axl did (I read) 14 wardrobe changes throughout the night, undoubtedly to get rid of sweat, but also to rest his voice. I noticed they dropped some lyrics/content from some of the songs too.

I thought overall the show was good. I was definitely enjoying it, even though someone decided to throw down the other side of our aisle. My wife (not a gunners fan - just likes their hits) came along as well, and she was pretty impressed at the show. As JB said, Axl's voice was thin when trying to do his high notes/screechy type stuff. His lower notes/deep voice seemed to be really hold together well. He can still hold a note, and he still has power, but the range sounded smaller. He was however into the gig completely. High energy, and you could see he was enjoying himself. Duff looked super relaxed - including a cameo with him singing and Slash joining in on backup vocals for I wanna be your dog. I've loved the Gunners ever since I was 11. This was a definite chance to reminisce,

3hrs was a big show and a big tour for their age. They held it together well.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Sounds like a good gig. Not a huge fan of Guns n Roses but I have seen the Stones a couple of times - we all know they're old, they bring some back up singers in which helps a lot with the ageing voices. Voices take a pounding with years on the road, it is damned hard once singers get a bit older to be able to hit the notes, the wear and tear is unavoidable - get in some support!

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Saw The Offspring at John Cain Arena last night.
They were awesome. I love it when you are surprised by a gig.
Fantastic fun as they rolled through the hits. Great drummer smashing the skins.
Highlight being Noodles taking the *smile* out of Freddie Mercury's memorable Live Aid performance..:LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Saw The Offspring at John Cain Arena last night.
They were awesome. I love it when you are surprised by a gig.
Fantastic fun as they rolled through the hits. Great drummer smashing the skins.
Highlight being Noodles taking the *smile* out of Freddie Mercury's memorable Live Aid performance..:LOL:

Don't forget Sum41

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
A Great Day Had on Saturday For Live In The Vines at Rochford Wines, Yarra Valley
Magnificent Weather For it Great Aussies Bands all Day

Attachments

• 330552168_1279360602677199_748828861124005062_n.jpg
    330552168_1279360602677199_748828861124005062_n.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Was watching Glastonbury 2022 last night on tv and what a phoney that Billie Eilish is.

She doesn’t actually sing Eilish - she just talks and shouts all her songs - but even then she still had to fake MIME her songs at Glastonbury.

That’s absolutely *smile*. What a phoney. You suck Eilish.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Saw the Chilli Peppers on Thursday, what a shocking show. Opened up with 3 songs we knew (Otherside, Zephyr and Dani Cali) then proceeded to play all new songs (bar 1) for the next 70 odd minutes! Then finished with 2 more we knew for the encore (Soul to squeeze and Give it away).

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Went to Live in the Vines Festival at Rochford Wines over the weekend.
Was a heck of a lot of fun.

Highlights of the numerous bands were..
Baby Animals - Suze DeMarchi my teen crush was still great at 58. Voice held up & still looked good too for an older rock chick.
The Living End - Their music is great but they are a force of nature as a live 3 piece band. Great showmen.
Noiseworks - Stole the show. I've never seen Jon Stevens perform live but he was bloody brilliant.
His voice is soo powerful & he had crowd of several thousands eating out of the palm of his hand.
The songs literally take you back to your youth.

Wolfmother, Hoodoo Gurus & all Thirsty Merc all pretty solid too.

Highly recommend these multi band festivals. A full days music of the bands best hits is great value & great entertainment.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Baby Animals - Suze DeMarchi my teen crush was still great at 58. Voice held up & still looked good too for an older rock chick.
The Living End - Their music is great but they are a force of nature as a live 3 piece band. Great showmen.
Noiseworks - Stole the show. I've never seen Jon Stevens perform live but he was bloody brilliant.
His voice is soo powerful & he had crowd of several thousands eating out of the palm of his hand.

Highly recommend these multi band festivals. A full days music of the bands best hits is great value & great entertainment.
Sounds good Oldie, how was Dave Faulkner's voice nowadays?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I actually think the Gurus were one of the weakest acts & his voice is a bit shrill/strained.
To be fair they were a last minute call up because of Jimmy Barnes' hip operation.
Yeah, as most from our time are getting on, it's disappointing listening to them live.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Saw the Chilli Peppers on Thursday, what a shocking show. Opened up with 3 songs we knew (Otherside, Zephyr and Dani Cali) then proceeded to play all new songs (bar 1) for the next 70 odd minutes! Then finished with 2 more we knew for the encore (Soul to squeeze and Give it away).
I was there too. They've always played shortish 18 song setlists with new material so i knew what to expect and they had two new albums to plug. It wasn't a greatest hits show. But unfortunately 8 new songs, one obscure album cut and one cover is a big percentage of the concert. Their new stuff is actually very very good but just not well known.

Bit of an enigma really, 4 ultra talented guys but always been a sketchy live band. And FWIW, the Tuesday night setlist was better even though it was still heavy on new material.

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004

Magnificent Day it was for me it was
Noiseworks Brilliant Stevo getting better with age since the 1st time I saw NW in the 80s
Living End Love The End in my top 10 of fav bands of all time always play a great live show
Baby Animals Always have and Always love Suze Dave still plays a mean riff
Hoodoo Gurus about the 12th time seen the Gurus over the years still got it
Thirsty Merc 1st time seen this band live Pretty Solid
Wolfmother For Me Pass Not the same Band when they brought out the Killer Debut Album

Overall one Brilliant Day of Sun, Fun and Aussie Music nothing beats it

Last edited:
  • Love

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I went to Noiseworks' 'last ever gig' at Transformers in the 90s. Hoodoo Gurus' 'last ever gig' at a pub in that area around the same time.

Some great music at pocket change prices in those days. Screaming Jets at the Lyric in Geelong for a fiver. Baby Animals at the Monash Uni union building. (Suze eyeball-*smile* me for 30 seconds!) Gurus supported by Ratcat on the lawn for a fiver.

Saw M.Ward at the Eltham Hotel on Saturday. The man can play guitar! Tight band too, real good show.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Nice one.

Leysy went to Icehouse at Sidney Myer Sat night. Exceptional night - great band (top 5 all time in Leysy favs) and perfect weather.

The cut through of Iva's voice is as good as ever and the sound/visuals A1.

Eskimo Joe, Frente and MotorAce warmed up, but Icehouse clearly stole the show.

If Man of Colours live doesn't put a tingle up your spine you ain't human.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Nice one.

Leysy went to Icehouse at Sidney Myer Sat night. Exceptional night - great band (top 5 all time in Leysy favs) and perfect weather.

The cut through of Iva's voice is as good as ever and the sound/visuals A1.

Eskimo Joe, Frente and MotorAce warmed up, but Icehouse clearly stole the show.

If Man of Colours live doesn't put a tingle up your spine you ain't human.
I'm a bit of an Icehouse fan too but their debut album is substantially better than the Man of Colours era IMO.