Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
jb03 said:
Oils tipped to be playing at Hanging Rock on November 4 on the back of a world tout.

Yeah but that's Derby Day. Also playing Myer Music Bowl on Cup Eve.

Disappointing. Was hoping for a couple of shows at a smaller venue such as the Forum.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Ridley said:

Disappointing. Was hoping for a couple of shows at a smaller venue such as the Forum.

There will be too much demand for the smaller venues.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Ridley said:

The bowl will be great.

Last time I saw them live was the Union Building La Trobe Uni. A lifetime ago...

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
I went to Gunners on Tuesday night. Was good without being great.
As soon as they announced it was at the MCG I was disappointed and knew I would have to stump up good coin to get a spot close enough to able to enjoy some sound quality.
Sometimes less is more. The extended intro/outro's on songs and the solos drained a bit. Axl sounded pretty good and the band were tight enough without being exceptional.
Had a good night but appreciative that I got to see them in their prime at Calder Park.
Estranged was my personal highlight.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Disco said:
As soon as they announced it was at the MCG I was disappointed and knew I would have to stump up good coin to get a spot close enough to able to enjoy some sound quality.
Sometimes less is more. The extended intro/outro's on songs and the solos drained a bit. Axl sounded pretty good and the band were tight enough without being exceptional.
Had a good night but appreciative that I got to see them in their prime at Calder Park.

One of my faves too Disco. I'm surprised Axl's still got the falsetto (high pitch) in his voice.

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
The Gunners rocked it! Good vibe and sound from the ground was top notch. Rocket Queen sensational

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Disco said:

Yeah, fair summary there Disco. Though i reckon the band were tighter than Calder. Pretty much zero band interaction.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Saw the Boss at Hanging Rock, first time I've seen him but would have to be close to the best gig I've been too, sensational venue, we had seats just outside the "pit" which was an awesome place to be. Apparently he did 26 songs, there was 10 or so I don't know well at all, didn't matter the whole vibe of his gig is something very unique and simply brilliant. Backed it up and went to the Gunners,29 years since I first saw them , very similar seats to what we had at BS, bloody amazing been on the G for a gig an looking up at the stands. Really enjoyed the gig, Slash is just the ultimate hard rock guitarist, Thought they sounded good, great lighting show , Axel looked like an over weight drag queen

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure many here like or have even heard of Teenage Fanclub but they delivered a sublime gig at the Corner last night. Fantastic pop songs delivered by a band who were incredibly tight and gel together really well.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
IanG said:
Not sure many here like or have even heard of Teenage Fanclub but they delivered a sublime gig at the Corner last night. Fantastic pop songs delivered by a band who were incredibly tight and gel together really well.
Saw them at the Prince of Wales in the mid '90's and at the Hi-Fi around 2005.

Bandwagonesque is still one of my favourite albums.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
JoMamma said:
Saw them at the Prince of Wales in the mid '90's and at the Hi-Fi around 2005.

Bandwagonesque is still one of my favourite albums.

Another fan here.
Still have Sparkys Dream as my ringtone!!

B1

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Book of Mormon has to be the best musical comedy ever. Freakin hilarious from start to finish.
Yep, I want to see it again.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Anyone going to the Crawls gigs from early August, tell us about it. Is it all Crawl or is it just Jimmy? Is it real rock or is it that boring acoustic?

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
spook said:
Queens Of The Stone Age, at Splendour In The Grass on Saturday night. Rock'n'roll perfection.
Saw them Thursday night at Festival Hall. They never disappoint...

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Anyone going to the Crawls gigs from early August, tell us about it. Is it all Crawl or is it just Jimmy? Is it real rock or is it that boring acoustic?
Going tomorrow night at Crown. I'll let you know.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Thanks Disco. Bring a translator with you in case Jimmy's still singing in another language. ;D
Hey TF.
Not a bad night. The music is all Aus Crawl songs. 6 piece band including James.
I reckon the rhythm/lead guitarist and drummer are the guys that played with him with his solo stuff.
Musically & vocally good considering it was their first on these gigs.
The thing with James is that he really doesn't like many of the songs, despite many of them being iconic to the punters.
You do sense at times that his heart therefore isn't completely in it but I'm not disappointed I went.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Disco said:
Hey TF.
Not a bad night. The music is all Aus Crawl songs. 6 piece band including James.
I reckon the rhythm/lead guitarist and drummer are the guys that played with him with his solo stuff.
Musically & vocally good considering it was their first on these gigs.
The thing with James is that he really doesn't like many of the songs, despite many of them being iconic to the punters.
You do sense at times that his heart therefore isn't completely in it but I'm not disappointed I went.

Thanks Disco. Not sure why Jimmy wouldn't like the songs.....maybe liked his solo career more a few years after Crawl finished....who knows.

Obviously without the late Brad Robinson and the late Guy McDonough, you wouldn't have the real band again, and also age is a factor in stage performance. Have a look at how stiff 60 year old David Lee Roth is nowadays with Van Halen.

Either way, better than nothing. Good to hear you enjoyed it.