Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Been to a good gig lately/Concerts [Merged]

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Have they played Armistace Day at any gig so far. One of my favs & not played at Hanging Rock.

Only played twice for the entire tour including, not surprisingly yesterday at Domain in Sydney

E

easy_tiger

me and snake and mrs easy and 9997 others went to Paul kelly at the river stage in brisso on satdy night.

go see the show if your a PK fan.

plays the new album, which has some great tunes on it,

then rocks into a superb best off (plays most of Post it seemed)

highlight was Vicka Bull singing sweet guy waltz better as good as aretha franklin could

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Have they played Armistace Day at any gig so far. One of my favs & not played at Hanging Rock.
They opened the show with it at The Domain. Natch.

Domain setlist:
Armistice Day
(With "Rouse" outro)
Read About It
Hercules
Put Down That Weapon
Truganini
Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)
Now or Never Land
No Time for Games
Short Memory
When the Generals Talk
US Forces
Kosciusko
Only the Strong
The Dead Heart
(with Charlie McMahon on didgeridoo)
Warakurna
Beds Are Burning
Don't Wanna Be the One
Blue Sky Mine
Forgotten Years
King of the Mountain
Encore:
Power and the Passion
Sometimes

Sunshine Coast:
Redneck Wonderland
Lucky Country
Sleep
Back on the Borderline
Safety Chain Blues
Dreamworld
Truganini
No Time for Games
My Country
When the Generals Talk
Short Memory
US Forces
Kosciusko
Only the Strong
Read About It
The Dead Heart
Blue Sky Mine
Forgotten Years
Encore:
King of the Mountain
Beds Are Burning
Power and the Passion

Pretty good mix of early stuff, must-have classics and later stuff, although I didn't need to hear Truganini, especially twice. Great to hear some old faves like Hercules, Sleep and No Time For Games. Would have been nice to hear Jimmy Sharman's Boxers, Tin Legs and Tin Mines, Scream In Blue, One Country, Antarctica.... but they can't sing em all!

Great shows, still got it. Everyone attending loved it. Awesome.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
spook said:
They opened the show with it at The Domain. Natch.n't sing em all!

Awesome stuff spooker.
Agree they were in fine form.
I've been watching live stuff from the early 80s on Youtube since and they didn't sound much different. 8-

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Awesome stuff spooker.
Agree they were in fine form.
I've been watching live stuff from the early 80s on Youtube since and they didn't sound much different. 8-

yeah I did that, Live at the Capital Theatre 1982 was the best IMO. Superb

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
easy said:
me and snake and mrs easy and 9997 others went to Paul kelly at the river stage in brisso on satdy night.

go see the show if your a PK fan.

plays the new album, which has some great tunes on it,

then rocks into a superb best off (plays most of Post it seemed)

highlight was Vicka Bull singing sweet guy waltz better as good as aretha franklin could

Her and her sister are legends. Loved there back-up vocals on Rockwiz.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
spook said:

Yes, I'm yet to hear even an average review let alone a bad one. I do have one minor beef though, after party was embarrassingly bad. My mate is a manager/ promoter in the industry, got VIPs through him. I wasn't fussed at raging on or anything, I just had to give him a lift home and he had to say hi to some people, so I had to tag along. We were ushered backstage by bouncers etc, given a safety induction even, then got backstage with 30-odd other friends and family. Catering consisted of, I kid you not, 8 cans of sprite, 2 litre of milk and a can of stawberry Quik, teabags, sugar, 2 packets of seaweed-flavoured rice crackers, 1 small tub of homous dip. I felt like a cold can before heading home, thats the absolute least you can expect normally, (after the PK show sat night it was vodka, choice of 3 beers, red or white wine, Glenfiddich scotch!), too much to ask after a $1.2 mill gross sellout show apparently. Rich white person problem I know, but there it is :help Met jim Moginie who seemed nice, but kept thinking 'Jim, what's with the Quik? that ain't rock n roll'

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Yes, I'm yet to hear even an average review let alone a bad one. I do have one minor beef though, after party was embarrassingly bad. My mate is a manager/ promoter in the industry, got VIPs through him. I wasn't fussed at raging on or anything, I just had to give him a lift home and he had to say hi to some people, so I had to tag along. We were ushered backstage by bouncers etc, given a safety induction even, then got backstage with 30-odd other friends and family. Catering consisted of, I kid you not, 8 cans of sprite, 2 litre of milk and a can of stawberry Quik, teabags, sugar, 2 packets of seaweed-flavoured rice crackers, 1 small tub of homous dip. I felt like a cold can before heading home, thats the absolute least you can expect normally, (after the PK show sat night it was vodka, choice of 3 beers, red or white wine, Glenfiddich scotch!), too much to ask after a $1.2 mill gross sellout show apparently. Rich white person problem I know, but there it is :help Met jim Moginie who seemed nice, but kept thinking 'Jim, what's with the Quik? that ain't rock n roll'

That's so funny...strawberry quik and hommus, although seaweed rice crackers rock!

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Saw the Oils last Monday and they were great. Took my 6 and 7yo along for their first gig, but missed the encore as my 6yo hit the wall.

Saw them for that benefit concert at the G for Black Saturday when Peter Garrett was still a pollie. Was notable that they left out the "Pine Gap" reference during Power and the Passion.

Was Pine Gap mentioned this time?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
spook said:
They opened the show with it at The Domain. Natch.

Domain setlist:
Armistice Day
(With "Rouse" outro)
Read About It
Hercules
Put Down That Weapon
Truganini
Section 5 (Bus To Bondi)
Now or Never Land
No Time for Games
Short Memory
When the Generals Talk
US Forces
Kosciusko
Only the Strong
The Dead Heart
(with Charlie McMahon on didgeridoo)
Warakurna
Beds Are Burning
Don't Wanna Be the One
Blue Sky Mine
Forgotten Years
King of the Mountain
Encore:
Power and the Passion
Sometimes

Sunshine Coast:
Redneck Wonderland
Lucky Country
Sleep
Back on the Borderline
Safety Chain Blues
Dreamworld
Truganini
No Time for Games
My Country
When the Generals Talk
Short Memory
US Forces
Kosciusko
Only the Strong
Read About It
The Dead Heart
Blue Sky Mine
Forgotten Years
Encore:
King of the Mountain
Beds Are Burning
Power and the Passion

Pretty good mix of early stuff, must-have classics and later stuff, although I didn't need to hear Truganini, especially twice. Great to hear some old faves like Hercules, Sleep and No Time For Games. Would have been nice to hear Jimmy Sharman's Boxers, Tin Legs and Tin Mines, Scream In Blue, One Country, Antarctica.... but they can't sing em all!

I saw them last Wednesday at SMMB. That set list in Sydney is better than the one at my concert; notwithstanding the show being cut 3 songs short due to Jim's injury. Would have loved to have heard Armistice Day, Read About it, Put Down that Weapon, No Time for Games, Short Memory and Warakurna. We did get Jimmy Sharman's Boxers and Tin Legs Tin Mines which were great but overall that Sydney list is better.

But as you said they can't play them all. It was still a great show and I thought they sounded as good as in the heyday. Still think the best Oils shows I ever saw were in late 1986 at the Venue in St.Kilda and the Excelsior Hotel in Thomastown; that's right the Oils in Thomastown!!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ridley said:
I saw them last Wednesday at SMMB. That set list in Sydney is better than the one at my concert; notwithstanding the show being cut 3 songs short due to Jim's injury. Would have loved to have heard Armistice Day, Read About it, Put Down that Weapon, No Time for Games, Short Memory and Warakurna. We did get Jimmy Sharman's Boxers and Tin Legs Tin Mines which were great but overall that Sydney list is better.

But as you said they can't play them all. It was still a great show and I thought they sounded as good as in the heyday. Still think the best Oils shows I ever saw were in late 1986 at the Venue in St.Kilda and the Excelsior Hotel in Thomastown; that's right the Oils in Thomastown!!

Used to play pool there a lot with dad and some mates. Must've bumped into each other sometime Riddles, although in those years I kept quiet about been a Tiger fan.... :hihi

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Ridley said:

The Monday SMMB concert and Hanging Rock setlists were outstanding including Lucky Country, No Time for Games, Stand In Line, Section 5 (Bus to Bondi), Don't Wanna Be The One and amazingly If Ned Kelly Was King. In fact, most interest in the setlists is in the front half before they pull out the crowd favourites.

I was at the Venue gig too - amazing night. A heaving timber floor covered in VB cans.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
TigerForce said:
Used to play pool there a lot with dad and some mates. Must've bumped into each other sometime Riddles, although in those years I kept quiet about been a Tiger fan.... :hihi

Nah probably not mate. I lived a few suburbs away from Thomastown; that Oils gig was one of the few times I went there.

But yes there wasn't much joy as a Tiger fan in the mid 80s. Unlike now 8-

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
jb03 said:
I was at the Venue gig too - amazing night. A heaving timber floor covered in VB cans.

Yeah it was a great venue JB. One of life's great pleasures watching a great rock band whilst drinking cans of beer ;D.

Also, either the week before or the week after, can't recall exactly, I went to the Venue again to see The Angels supported by Noiseworks who were just starting out. That was awesome as well.

Good times.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Saw the Calling, Lifehouse and Live Friday night at the Myer music bowl, good venue on warm spring evening. Great voice the dude from the Calling, apparently has Parkinson’s in his 30s. Surprised how good a live band Lifehouse are and as always Live are a bloody awesome live band

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Paul Kelly....live at the Opera House was great to watch last night on Channel 2, and as usual, the Bull sisters shone with their great voices.