Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
You can’t even spell bogan correctly so no point you trying to pretend you’re part of the wine luminary Nobets ! Can’t wait to see you in your 1990’s Richmond Lotto tracksuit top, sitting in the corner of a packed London, chips and gravy all over your face, sipping politely on a glass of shiraz.

Geez. Keep it real Nobets. Fair dinkum.

That's *smile*. You know wouldn't be sitting down.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Enough of the distraction.

Leysy's favs:

Clearly Mike Press. Ex Penfolds winemaker who branched out with his wife years ago. No marketing, very little sold in bottle shops - pretty much all word of mouth and only sold online/cellar door.

You simply won't get better reds (Pinot, Cab, Shiraz - in particulart) for the price anywhere. Around $13 a bottle by the case and easily worth 2 to 3 x times that.

Others - for Shiraz/Cab's value under $20 - Anything Tahbilk, Pirramirra, Mitolo, Leysy loves and are excellent.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Enough of the distraction.

Leysy's favs:

Clearly Mike Press. Ex Penfolds winemaker who branched out with his wife years ago. No marketing, very little sold in bottle shops - pretty much all word of mouth and only sold online/cellar door.

You simply won't get better reds (Pinot, Cab, Shiraz - in particulart) for the price anywhere. Around $13 a bottle by the case and easily worth 2 to 3 x times that.

Others - for Shiraz/Cab's value under $20 - Anything Tahbilk, Pirramirra, Mitolo, Leysy loves and are excellent.
Thanks LD. Just ordered a case of the Mike Press Pinot, will report back once opened!

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
When's that VB-X gonna be released? I'll need a 6.0% next Thursday night.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
When's that VB-X gonna be released? I'll need a 6.0% next Thursday night.
Not that I drink it but there’s a classic example of brand destruction by marketing wankers when they decided to f around with a successful product years ago.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, interesting to see if it is 6%.
Talk about f’ing around with a brand that was a bit of an institution. First, despite howls of protest, they decide they’re gonna reduce the alcohol content. Then, they resist the continued years of consumer discontent and plummeting sales only to finally, sheepishly, change it back. Massive egos at CUB obviously.

And NOW….they decide they’re gonna go 180 degrees the opposite direction from years ago and make a ballistic 6% !

Just bring back the original John Meillon ads you dheads. Problem solved.

Last edited:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Talk about f’ing around with a brand that was a bit of an institution. First, despite howls of protest, they decide they’re gonna reduce the alcohol content. Then, they resist the continued years of consumer discontent and plummeting sales only to finally, sheepishly, change it back. Massive egos at CUB obviously.

And NOW….they decide they’re gonna go 180 degrees the opposite direction from years ago and make a ballistic 6% !

Just being back the original John Meillon ads you dheads. Problem solved.
Maybe they wanna be the 1st Aussie beer to reach 6%, but I reckon this will fail in sales. Let's see.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Maybe they wanna be the 1st Aussie beer to reach 6%, but I reckon this will fail in sales. Let's see.
Well they’ve royally f’ed up the brand at every turn so why not continue the trend.

Wasn’t it Australia’s most popular beer at one stage ? Surprised it even exists now.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Well they’ve royally f’ed up the brand at every turn so why not continue the trend.

Wasn’t it Australia’s most popular beer at one stage ? Surprised it even exists now.
They effed up with that VB Gold, so let's see how this one goes.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
There is no thread for it but I’m feeling no guilt at enjoying alcoholic ginger beer.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Ice cold VB in cold pots in country pubs is still elite.

Winter or summer.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm quite partial to a Dickens Cider, if I get lucky i have a couple every day.

Last edited:

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I was given a six pack of Ponting labeled wines for my birthday a while back - quite surprised really, we have polished off 2 and they are not to bad really.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
There is no thread for it but I’m feeling no guilt at enjoying alcoholic ginger beer.
Recently had a go at brewing my own GB after misses got me a kit.

Kit recipe turned out *smile* and had to tip it out, second batch was very dry had to add sugar syrup to it.
Got a batch now that has just finished priming/carbonating, is in the fridge gonna have some on the weekend

Matsos, Lick Pier and Royal Jamaica (if you can get it) are all good GBs

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Did anyone ever come across trough man on the Melbourne club scene some years ago?

Dude would go to nightclubs and just lie in the urinal while people pissed on him. Seemed pretty harmless so everyone just sort of ignored him.

I'd rather be trough man than drink another mouthful of VB.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Recently had a go at brewing my own GB after misses got me a kit.

Kit recipe turned out *smile* and had to tip it out, second batch was very dry had to add sugar syrup to it.
Got a batch now that has just finished priming/carbonating, is in the fridge gonna have some on the weekend

Matsos, Lick Pier and Royal Jamaica (if you can get it) are all good GBs
I prefer Brookvale Union or James Squire GB myself.
Bundaberg are doing an alcoholic GB as well

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I prefer Brookvale Union or James Squire GB myself.
Bundaberg are doing an alcoholic GB as well
Agree on the James Squires, but the Brookvale Union wasn’t to my taste.
My favourite is a NW Tassie GB you can’t seem to get on the mainland, Henry’s.