Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
snaps truly said:
Boags red xxx ale for me followed by Cascade pale ale. Unfortunately I can't get either up here in the top end so make do with others, mostly Coopers, German, Dutch and Asian beers as well

I was watching a brewing show on cable the other day, it was about a micro brewing company in the states who reckon the next big fad in beer marketing will be...wait for it...pumpkin beer! Have any of our American based PREnders tried pumpkin beer, as I brew a bit myself I would be interested in some feedback.

Snaps, you should do a search for the 'Home brew' thread.

For the record, I really like Fat Yack Pale ale. Coopers Pale is my beer of choice. Love the Sparkling too but isn't the sort of beer you down for a big session.
Have been drinking Coopers Pale for years, besides the highway it is the only good thing to ever come out of South Australia.
Other beers I enjoy are Little Creatures and Mountain Goat. Unfortunately we don't get Mountain Goat in QLD. It is a little brewery in Abbotsford and they regularly hold nights at the brewery where you can sample all of their products and have a bite to eat. Quality.

Any beer that you have to put a lemon or lime in to make it taste like something, is not a real beer.
Corona? Swill. Can you spell wanker? I saw my mate drink one once...it must be cool. Corona... a beer for those who want to confirm to the world that they are a soft *smile* with poor taste. Swill.

Hoegarden... oh yeah!

Oh yeah, love Boags Strongarm too. That has some arse kicking taste and power.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Picked up a Floreffe from Dan's, a strong Belgian ale is quite good every now and again.

We mostly drink Italian wines these days, most Australian wines (in our price range) give my wife a headache, we assume from greater application of sulphur dioxoide given she doesn't get it from organic wines. Good to pick up some Nero D'Avolas, Puglias, Primitivos etc from the Mediterranean Wholesalers in Brunswick.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tigerdog said:
Any beer that you have to put a lemon or lime in to make it taste like something, is not a real beer.
Corona? Swill. Can you spell wanker? I saw my mate drink one once...it must be cool. Corona... a beer for those who want to confirm to the world that they are a soft *smile* with poor taste. Swill.

your view on Fat Yak suprises me T-dog - your comments relating to Corona could be attributed to Fat Yak drinkers too I reckon.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You do realise that in mexico they don't put lemon or lime into their beer. The lemon/lime wedge is to wipe over the bottle lip so flies won't find it appealing.

For some reason, the export markets thought it was for shoving down the bottle neck.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Baloo said:
You do realise that in mexico they don't put lemon or lime into their beer. The lemon/lime wedge is to wipe over the bottle lip so flies won't find it appealing.

For some reason, the export markets thought it was for shoving down the bottle neck.

That may be the cast but it improves the beer nevertheless.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
jb03 said:
That may be the cast but it improves the beer nevertheless.

Even though I don't drink those beers much I agree with that.

In terms of Aust. beers I normally like to drink Coopers Pale Ale or Boags. I go for the Cooopers Stout as well.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
rosy23 said:
I'm not a wine buff. I certainly never notice the aromoas of this and blushes of that and hints of the other embracing my senses when I have a glass of wine. What surprises me is a couple of friends who like Sav Blanc but refuse to drink Chardonnay. I don't notice any great difference between the two. Certainly not to the extent that I could drink one kind but prefer to go without if the other was the only one on offer.

The wine snobs don't drink chardonnay at the moment - it's gone a bit bogan. I like them both but struggle to see the point in an unwooded chardy. It lacks taste.

Edited to answer Rosy's question - a sav blanc is more "fruity" than a chardy (a touch sweeter although it is a dry wine, if that makes any sense).

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Constipated and in need of a headache next day: Chang Beer of Thailand.

Just had a couple of Beer Lao (Laos beer) and its great

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Baloo said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the old Corona’s and XX in my time in Mexico. Not sure about the fly thing…

Birra Moretti, Peroni and Kirin all good beers, don’t mind the odd Tiger or Asahi either.

Delirium Tremens is great for a visit to “happy land”
image1.jpg
. Chimay Blue not far behind.

Pass on Grolsch, Heineken or Staropramen. I would take a serving of Carling as a personal insult.

Had a 'Jim Barry - The Cover Drive’ last year in Aus that was pretty good. Hard to go past a good a Malbec from Argentina

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
jb03 said:
your view on Fat Yak suprises me T-dog - your comments relating to Corona could be attributed to Fat Yak drinkers too I reckon.

Yeah that is probably a fair call.

If you have the patience, Coopers Vintage is magic after having been stored 12 months. Sure it is good straight away, but the aging makes it awesome.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Everyday beer - Carlton Draught
If I'm feeling flush - Boags Premium

Most bizarre beer experience - Vailima from Samoa. Was on a holiday there and gave it a try. It's bloody good. Not so surprising when you remember the Germans colonised Samoa, but it was the last place I expected to find good loacl beer.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
I don't mind the odd Pilsner,but can't have a session on them - ie:Stella's,Heineken,Becks,Hoey's,Steinlager,Yaks, you know what i mean.Too Hopped for my liking,but each to their own.

I'm liking Hahn super dry,Ted's,Corona's,Asahi,Budweiser at the moment,plus a drop of red on a chilly night.

And don't forget the Stanley's Tawny Port on a Friday night with your mates in the shed watching the footy. :crazy

Tigerhart04

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2007
Australia
Used to always be VB until they started screwing with it. Went to Heineken for a while, but more than happy to sink Corona's now with or without citrus additions. :beer