Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tiger beer in the fridge.
Tiger at pubs or Hoegarden or Pure Blonde if they have it on tap

Also partial to a Weissbier if they have it.

Panthera tigris FC

Full Blown Chimp Crush
Oct 28, 2004
Torquay
Stock standard beer - Coopers Pale

I try all sorts though - enjoy most of the stuff that comes out of the Jimmy Squire's brewery and the Little Creatures brews are nice too.

Been slowly working through the range available from Prickly Moses down my way in the Otways - some very nice beers in there, including a good stout (I also enjoy the Coopers stout on occasion).

White Rabbit brews are pretty good too. Have a friend who is involved in the brewing of those beers. Interesting insights into the process.

Anything that comes out the CUB or Tooheys breweries is generally swill. Having said that, I do have a soft spot for Carlton Draught - perhaps it is like Stockholm Syndrome after years of drinking it in the front bar of pubs?

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Remember when the Light & Mid-strength brands first came out.

West End had one called Eagle Blue - Genuine Cat's P!ss... :hihi

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
This reminds, What's VB Gold ? Tried a can in Darwin and it was the most vile beer I've had in a while.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Dan's are stocking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. For those that like Little Creatures Pale Ale, SNPA is the beer it is based on. Well worth a drink.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Azza said:
Everyday beer - Carlton Draught
If I'm feeling flush - Boags Premium

Most bizarre beer experience - Vailima from Samoa. Was on a holiday there and gave it a try. It's bloody good. Not so surprising when you remember the Germans colonised Samoa, but it was the last place I expected to find good loacl beer.

Valima beer is awesome. Nice and cheap too. Drank gallons of the stuff when I was there. :fing32

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne
Panthera tigris FC said:
Stock standard beer - Coopers Pale

I try all sorts though - enjoy most of the stuff that comes out of the Jimmy Squire's brewery and the Little Creatures brews are nice too.

Been slowly working through the range available from Prickly Moses down my way in the Otways - some very nice beers in there, including a good stout (I also enjoy the Coopers stout on occasion).

White Rabbit brews are pretty good too. Have a friend who is involved in the brewing of those beers. Interesting insights into the process.

Anything that comes out the CUB or Tooheys breweries is generally swill. Having said that, I do have a soft spot for Carlton Draught - perhaps it is like Stockholm Syndrome after years of drinking it in the front bar of pubs?

The Forrest Brewery has some pretty nice ales PTFC.

Not sure if you can get them as take aways though.

Braddles

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 28, 2005
Bonbeach
Ooh, a beer thread! And it's been here since June. Really need to get on here more often...

Lots of favourites; almost too many to mention. Best I go by country:

Australia: Quite enjoy the Squire and Little Creatures range as many here have mentioned, though not a huge fan of LC pale (can see why others are though if that makes sense, just not my thing), much prefer their Pilsner. Really enjoy the Burleigh Brewing Company's 'Bit on the Side' range; Black Giraffe is fantastic. Of the standard brews, I'm quite happy with most Boags stuff, and still enjoy a Melbourne Bitter which I drank way too much of as a young bloke. I work on the Mornington Peninsula and have an infatuation with the Red Hill Brewery who have a great range of year-round and seasonal brews.

UK: Newky Brown (the major influence on my choice of EPL side), Fuller's ESB and London Pride, Young's Special London Ale, Well's Bombardier, most stuff from Adnam's. All amazing brews, though unfortunately pricey out here. Fuller's ESB is probably my favourite of that lot; it's a real beer and I can't recommend it highly enough. Pommy beers are probably still my favourites, though I've branched out a lot over the past couple of years.

Germany: Schoefferhofer Hefeweizen is supreme; absolutely cracking drop if you enjoy a wheat beer. $24 a six pack of 500ml from Dan's, so not super cheap, but well worth the effort. The Weihenstephaner range is very good, as is most of the Erdinger range. Erdinger Pikantus is my favourite German beer; a bottle conditioned dark beer with a hefty alcohol content (around 7%), it's an amazing choice if you're gonna have 'just the one'.

Poland: The Poles really know how to make a good lager. Have had many a session on Polish beers, but probably shouldn't given most of them are relatively strong when compared to your average Australian beer. Brok and Zywiec are the two I've had the most and I really recommend both as they're relatively inexpensive at around $4 for a 500ml compared to $3 for a VB stubbie. If you want a really good beer hangover try Okocim Mocne, similar in style to the Brok and Zywiec but around 7% and hideous the next day.

Belgium: The obvious candidates of Chimay (particularly the Red) and Hoegaarden must be mentioned, but lesser known brews such as Tripel Karmeliet and the Rochefort Trappist beers are my favourites, though horribly expensive. The Rochefort 8 is one of the greatest beers I've ever had.

NZ: The Kiwis really know what they're doing when it comes to beers. Monteith's make ripping brews. Harrington's Brewery make a couple of belters (Big John's is a beauty). Mac's Sassy Red is another good drop.

Way too many good beers out there really and I have unfortunately expensive taste... :-\

mld said:
We mostly drink Italian wines these days, most Australian wines (in our price range) give my wife a headache, we assume from greater application of sulphur dioxoide given she doesn't get it from organic wines. Good to pick up some Nero D'Avolas, Puglias, Primitivos etc from the Mediterranean Wholesalers in Brunswick.

Mld, maybe check out this stuff: http://www.so2go.com.au/. I work in a bottle shop and everyone who's given me feedback on it reckons it works a treat. Doesn't change the taste of the wine, but removes most of the preservative. About $1.50 for a 3ml container which does the trick for one bottle of wine. Not a massive wine drinker so I haven't tried it out myself, but it's gotta be worth a go. Should be easy enough to get hold of.

KiwiTig

Tiger Superstar
Dec 27, 2007
Williamstown
evo said:
Valima beer is awesome. Nice and cheap too. Drank gallons of the stuff when I was there. :fing32

Not surprising it is well made since the brewery over there is run by CUB/Fosters

http://www.fostersgroup.com/brands/vailima.aspx

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Good post Braddles. Will follow up on some of your suggestions which I haven't already tried. Certainly like the Schoefferhofer Hefeweizen and Hoegaarden.

Just grabbed a slab of Red back for the cold weekend ahead and a dozen red just showed up from Wine Selectors. Just need a Tige's win to top the weekend off!

mld thanks for the info on SNPA. Heard the Ox and Frances talking about it on SEN last week so keen to give it a try.

Braddles

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 28, 2005
Bonbeach
Cheers WT, hopefully you find a couple you like. Haven't had Redback since I used to go to the Redback pub in Nth Melb on Satdy nights years ago. There were some fun times had there :beer

AZZAMOOT

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2006
Melbourne
A Beer/booze thread, this is great! Looking forward to trying some of the suggestions.

I love finding & trying new beer in particular local/Australian beer. Im loving Broo, both for the beer & what the owner is doing with the company. Give it a shot, sort of like VB but without the 'ive just swollowed an ash tray' after taste. Coldstream brewery stuff is great, can get it a few bottle shops here & there or visit the brewery (funnily enough in coldstream), good food there as well. Mornington Peninsula brewery is also top notch, having it on tap at my wedding next feb.

I like other enjoy coopers but steer clear of anything CUB except fosters (i know its weird) which my dad swears is the only beer that doesnt give him indigestion ???.

Joe Lynn Turnip

Tiger Superstar
Nov 8, 2009
Braddles said:
Belgium: The obvious candidates of Chimay (particularly the Red) and Hoegaarden must be mentioned, but lesser known brews such as Tripel Karmeliet and the Rochefort Trappist beers are my favourites, though horribly expensive. The Rochefort 8 is one of the greatest beers I've ever had.

Duvel. :thumbsup

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
AZZAMOOT said:
I like other enjoy coopers but steer clear of anything CUB except fosters (i know its weird)

Fosters is drinkable. From CUB, I also don't mind the odd Abbottsford Invalid Stout.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
mld said:
Fosters is drinkable. From CUB, I also don't mind the odd Abbottsford Invalid Stout.

The marketing boys have gone backwards since this one. Kind of makes Pure Blonde sound a bit girly.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So far this is exclusively the beer thread. I love a Coopers of any colour, and the Tassie drops and Little Creatures are the other Aussie beers right up there. Don't trust a beer brewed north of the Murray. I'll drink anything from Germany (yeah, that's north of the Murray, boom-tish). Ottinger is cheap as chips and not bad at all. But I don't drink anywhere near as much beer as I used to. Could put away a slab in my well-spent youth but nowadays two or three if I'm thirsty, otherwise I prefer wine.

Love a sav blanc or any dry white, shiraz, pinot, even a rose in summer. You can get some great Aussie wines for under $20 a bottle. Some of the whites you can get for around a tenner and they're a decent sip.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Yeah, a couple of us have commented on wine, but it isn't a hot topic. FWIW I am reguarly taken aback that sangiovese has such little profile in Australia.