Beer and Wine Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beer and Wine Thread

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
As most adults on PRE enjoy a drink or two thought it was time for a beer and wine thread.

Opportunity to recommend your fav or something to avoid.

Will start with my winter fav Little Creatures Pale Ale. Great flavor and perfect for drinking out of my RFC pint glass.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Best expensive beer is James Squire Amder Ale. Agree that Little Creatures make a great drop too.

Mildura Brewery make great beer as well. Love their Wheat Beer.

Best bargain beer is Whipstone's Amber Ale from Aldis. Can't believe it is $30 a carton.

I don't drink wine so can't comment.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Most overrated beer is definitely Fat Yak. Tastes like the old Powers from Queensland but worse. Avoid at all costs especially at $50 a case.

Another horrid beer is Beez Neez. I'd rather drink water.

On the good side I'll happily knock back any of Grolsch, Becks, Lowenbrau (great value), Steinlager, Hoegaarden or Virgin Blonde. Also like a few of the Asian beers.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
Most overrated beer is definitely Fat Yak. Tastes like the old Powers from Queensland but worse. Avoid at all costs especially at $50 a case.

On the good side I'll happily knock back any of Grolsch, Becks, Lowenbrau (great value), Steinlager, Hoegaarden or Virgin Blonde. Also like a few of the Asian beers.

We are on the same side here Patsy. I can drink just about any beer but Fat Yak is just awful and Beez Neez is not far behind. Somehow Fat Yak has marketed themselves into respectability.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Disco08 said:

Don;t mind Fat Yak Pale Ale. Wont go out of my way to purchase it though. Have avoided Beez Neez for some reason. Best beer from Matilda Bay IMO is Redback.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
WesternTiger said:
Will start with my winter fav Little Creatures Pale Ale. Great flavor and perfect for drinking out of my RFC pint glass.

Defninitely the best beer produced in Australia.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
mld said:
Defninitely the best beer produced in Australia.

The Bright Ale is also a very nice drop.

Recommend the Little Creatures Beer Hall in Brunswick St Fitzroy to anyone who enjoys a brew!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I can't go past the Japanese brand Asahi as my most enjoyable beer when I'm out.

Melbourne bitter when I'm at home.

So far as wine goes it changes from week to week.
Had a nice Shadowfax 2008 Shiraz tonight from the local Werribee vineyard which I'd recommend.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Boags Premium is my fave. Love the stuff.

If I can't get that, Becks, Stella, Coopers Red or Asahi go alright too.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
I can't go past the Japanese brand Asahi as my most enjoyable beer when I'm out.

Melbourne bitter when I'm at home.

So far as wine goes it changes from week to week.
Had a nice Shadowfax 2008 Shiraz tonight from the local Werribee vineyard which I'd recommend.

Certainly like Kirin Ichiban,

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
One I've been thinking of getting in for my cafe/bar is Cricketer's Arms Lager. Very nice looking bottle. Anyone tried it?

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Disco08 said:
One I've been thinking of getting in for my cafe/bar is Cricketer's Arms Lager. Very nice looking bottle. Anyone tried it?

No haven't tried it. Williams Pale Ale has been getting a flogging on the radio. Have been looking for it. Anyone tried it?

Tiger_Shark

Tiger Superstar
Mar 21, 2008
Melbourne
Disco08 said:

Definitely love a Grolsch. will always find one somewhere in my beer fridge ;D although disappointed they've changed their bottle tops. was very unique

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
You can stilll find the old ones around the place. I think Dan Murphy's has them.

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
Boags red xxx ale for me followed by Cascade pale ale. Unfortunately I can't get either up here in the top end so make do with others, mostly Coopers, German, Dutch and Asian beers as well

I was watching a brewing show on cable the other day, it was about a micro brewing company in the states who reckon the next big fad in beer marketing will be...wait for it...pumpkin beer! Have any of our American based PREnders tried pumpkin beer, as I brew a bit myself I would be interested in some feedback.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm not a wine buff. I certainly never notice the aromoas of this and blushes of that and hints of the other embracing my senses when I have a glass of wine. What surprises me is a couple of friends who like Sav Blanc but refuse to drink Chardonnay. I don't notice any great difference between the two. Certainly not to the extent that I could drink one kind but prefer to go without if the other was the only one on offer.