Behaviour Issues - Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Behaviour Issues - Poll

Should the following content remove or stay?

• Remove all non-football related forums, most forums under ‘GENERAL / GENERAL TALK’?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Remove all religious and political forums and threads?

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Leave the forum as is, and provide more warnings that may result to bans

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • Other - please post below

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Hi PRE,

I am addressing the recent issues that have appeared in the ‘Feminism’ thread.

I would like to remind you to re-read the rules of the forum, they are clear about not provoking/trolling each other and being respectful. May I also remind you that we strive to keep PRE family-friendly and we are constantly seeing members pushing those boundaries.

As per the rules, those who cannot control themselves and persist in pushing these boundaries will be handing out warnings that will result in timeouts. Warnings are not to be taken personally and we will tolerate a right of reply only if the content is polite and courteous. If you disagree with this approach we kindly ask you to move on.

Above all, we are trying to maintain the standards of the site. Reports are taken seriously and they take a fair bit of effort on our part… the Mods and I discuss and determine an action.

We do not believe in censorship and have decided to reinstate the ‘Feminism’ thread but…

We have agreed to set up a poll to ask PRE whether topics that are of a political nature or other general talk belong on PRE.

Reactions: 7 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I, like many PREnders, tend to spend the off-season in the General/Religion/Politics section of the boards. Not so much in 2020/21 so I wasn't aware of the Femenism posting issues. I am generally opposed to the shutting down of discussion, especially on topical issues even if they get a bit willing. But I have no problem with aggressive moderation of threads if they are being used to abuse or threaten or bully. I guess I figured that there were fewer moderators these days and that more was slipping through. If it is possible (financially?) to have more moderators and to police those boards a little more heavily then that might be the the price of keeping them open? That said, the money has to come from somewhere...

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
For me, PRE is about footy first and foremost.

I certainly don't mind any of the other stuff on here, although I hardly read much of it.

At the end of the day, all the other stuff can stay, that is totally fine by me but.........

I don't want it at the expense of our very dedicated PRE volunteers running out of steam because of it. If all the volunteers who make this site great struggle with the additional work load created by all the non-footy boards, then it is obvious what comes first.

Reactions: 11 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Similar to @Streak, for me, PRE is 99% about the footy. That is why I am here.

I don't really care all that much about diving deeply into how PRE posters think regarding non-football stuff. As someone who only frequents the footy boards, it is clear that there are a bunch of people on this site with varying opinions to me on stuff. And that is great as it provides me with another's thoughts and allows me to ensure my opinions are balanced and nuanced. For those who I find unbearable or toxic I just [ignore] them.

My concern is for the staff if they are finding it hard to do their job and that is taking away from the enjoyment of the site. If that is the case then ditch the toxic non-footy forums.

Reactions: 3 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
For me, PRE is about footy first and foremost.

I certainly don't mind any of the other stuff on here, although I hardly read much of it.

At the end of the day, all the other stuff can stay, that is totally fine by me but.........

I don't want it at the expense of our very dedicated PRE volunteers running out of steam because of it. If all the volunteers who make this site great struggle with the additional work load created by all the non-footy boards, then it is obvious what comes first.
Selfishly, I obviously enjoy the Thoroughbred discussion.
but the long suit has to be footy, so I am in the same corner as Streak.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Happy with the way PRE is set up. There's a separate n plentiful footy arena to goss bag in n then plenty of room in other forums to discuss other crap in.
It's pretty simple really, if you don't want to go rummaging around in various conversations about stuff not concerning footy then stay in the footy forum. If you have time, energy n the interest then jump from footy into whatever else interests you.
Don't mind a reasonable amount of argumentative argy bargy at any time, but that's just me. As long as things are kept reasonably tidy n doesn't degenerate to abuse things are fine the way they are. Just pull the narky abusers into line or give them a holiday if they won't behave.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I think people need to think carefully about the options.

At the moment our moderation takes a fairly relaxed approach. It takes something pretty significant to draw our attention and it rarely happens.

That works well in footy threads where apart from the odd time during games when passions rise or the flack I cop for not believing in footy's version of anti-vax, everything is pretty harmonious.

The issue is the non footy threads where some people seem to be unable to have a difference of opinions without getting personal and aggressive. It's fine to say just start to go harder on the moderating in those but none of us want to be spending inordinate amounts of time on those threads so the end result is people will be warned and ultimately be unable to post for things like avoiding the swear filter or name calling.
I have no experience in moderating so I appreciate hearing from those that do, hence why I hedged my bets. Like most, while I enjoy getting my feet wet in the non-footy threads if it came down to it I would happily lose them to keep Dyer Tribe alive.

Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I fully appreciate the dilemma faced by moderators.
I'm not into censorship of opinions, ideas and speech (no matter how far they diverge from my own), but that said, I'm definitely not into bigoted, racist, sexist trolls who just wish to stir or attack people with their unnecessary and offensive comments. That's lowest common denominator sort of stuff that is intended to only hurt and offend others.
The issue I guess is that what is one person's cup of tea is another's cup of poison.
In the end, if there is too much time having to oversee the non-football threads because posters are being abusive then I would prefer that the moderators remove those threads and leave the forum as a predominantly footy-based one.
It's just a great shame that people can't be fair minded, reasonable, responsible and generous in their posting.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I voted for removing all political/religious threads as I'm wasting too much time arguing with Lee.

• Haha

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I, like many PREnders, tend to spend the off-season in the General/Religion/Politics section of the boards. Not so much in 2020/21 so I wasn't aware of the Femenism posting issues. I am generally opposed to the shutting down of discussion, especially on topical issues even if they get a bit willing. But I have no problem with aggressive moderation of threads if they are being used to abuse or threaten or bully.

This.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I primarily read the football threads. However I do read the General threads as some of the posts are from points of view that I either haven't thought about or are opposed to my opinions.

Helps to learn from other points of view.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Do the Mods have the option to ban posters from certain boards? Quick 1,2,7 day ban of the general boards might help defuse situations. The Mods shouldn't enter debate about a ban either. 1 or 2 warnings. Ban. Don't debate the whys and wherefores. Or like the feminism thread, just lock it for a few days to defuse the situation.

Dunno. We're Richmond supporters. We're naturally passionate and rarely give up no matter how bad things are. I don't envy the Mods and think on the whole do a very very good job.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Happy enough with whatever decision. Don't enjoy discussions that deviate from the subject to focus on the poster and wouldn't miss them. Some might well say to ignore it, but intent to discredit people rather than ideas is going to meet with a similar response I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I voted to leave it as it is.

I hardly look at any other thread than the main footy ones. Maybe the VFL occasionally, maybe the jokes. I stay away from the political, race, religion etc. I appreciate and happy to consider differing views but can't be bothered with the aggression that people (in general) show for such subjects.

There are enough posts on the main footy board that I view as borderline aggressive. I haven't hit the ignore button on anyone but there are those that I just don't reply or comment on.

Some people need the odd time out in the naughty corner ;)

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
On second thoughts I'd be happy to see the religious & political boards removed tbh. Not much good comes from them.
This is a footy forum first & foremost.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
On second thoughts I'd be happy to see the religious & political boards removed tbh. Not much good comes from them.
This is a footy forum first & foremost.
It is, but the other boards keep traffic and eyeballs here on the site which helps raise revenue to run it. Without the general boards in summer this place would be as busy as a #lolNorf AGM

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It is, but the other boards keep traffic and eyeballs here on the site which helps raise revenue to run it. Without the general boards in summer this place would be as busy as a #lolNorf AGM

There's 284,000 posts on the General Board making it easily...by far and away....the second most viewed and posted Board to the Dyer-Tribe Board on PRE.