Believe the hype: Richo is flying | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Believe the hype: Richo is flying

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
2:47:56 PM Thu 6 February, 2003
Paul Gough afl.com.au

It's the news all Richmond fans are desperate to hear at this time of year – champion spearhead Matthew Richardson is flying on the training track and on course for a big season.

But what is even more exciting for success-starved Tigers fans as the 2003 season approaches is not only is Richardson flying in February but the club is confident it can keep its number one asset on the field far more often this year.

Richardson's continual hamstring problems, which caused him to miss eight matches in 2002, was one of the main reasons why the Tigers slid from 3rd to 14th last year.

Despite playing just 13 games for the season, Richardson was not only the Tigers' leading goalkicker for the seventh time in the past nine years but still managed to finish runner-up in the club's best and fairest.

However Richmond coach Danny Frawley said he was confident Richardson's body would stand up better to the rigours of the AFL this season.

"He has been terrific, he hasn't missed a beat", Frawley said of Richardson's pre-season as the Tigers slogged it out at their pre-season training camp at Traralgon.

"I think the way he is going, he has got his optimum playing physique now."

"He is about the 100 kilo mark whereas in the past he may have been a little too heavy."

"But he looks really good in himself and he is really keen to step up to the plate this year."

Frawley said Richardson's state of mind was also a lot better now, given he has put his protracted contract negotiations of 2002 behind him by signing a new three year deal to remain with the club where his father Alan played in a premiership in 1967.

"We are rapt Matty signed a new deal, that was a bit of a load on his mind as well so he is really looking forward to repaying the club this year."

However despite Richardson being in fine fettle, Frawley hinted his star forward would not play in all of the Tigers' pre-season games this year.

Instead the likes of Richardson and other key Tiger players such as Brad Ottens and Darren Gaspar were likely to play only a maximum of three of the club's four pre-season games, which will either be in the knockout Wizard Cup competition or practice matches, to ensure they are kept fresh for the start of the home and away season on March 28.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
ok this is all very nice and in fact wonderful news and go Richo :) but, pardon my cynicism , can we at least wait until we've played a few 4 premiership points' games before saying so and so is flying. I know this is designed to attract memberships for the club and boost morale however can we leave most of our talking to on the field this year ::).

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
We've believed the hype in the past, only to have it knock the stuffing out of us when we fell over.

As much as we'd all love to have it mean something, results is the only thing that can have us believe the hype again.

We all live in hope that this might be the year ... and how long have some of us been saying that? :'(

Good luck Richo. God only knows where our Club would be without you.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
i listened to him on the foxtel footy updates last night.one interesting thing he said regarding his hamstrings was that the leg which is giving him trouble is tighter than his other leg and that he needs to be careful with preparing for a game.
sounds to me he will be faced with chronic hamstring problems for god knows how long.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Come late April/May, when the roof is closed at colonial and its freezing, Richo will be rotting at full forward, while the same duds like Rodgers and Duncan are in the midfield doing what they do best. *smile* nothing. All this equals is TWANG!