ben holland good or bad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ben holland good or bad

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
as another bitterly disappointing season draws to an end. And it becomes apparent no imperative that we have a massive over haul of the list., id like some comments on certain players. starting with ben holland. id like people to concentrate on his strenghs and weaknesses, reasons for keeping him, or getting rid of him, and possible trade options for him.My personal view on him is that hes very average and taking up to much of our salary cap ill go into my views on him later on ijust want peoples thoughts on the above for now.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Definitely keep. As I said on the player review board I think Dutchy is a better option than Richo at CHF.
We've fallen down there terribly this year. The ball gets that far nad taken straight back again.
Dutchy can play both ends and is a tall player which we are sadly lacking.
I doubt very much he'll be going anywhere. Anything he does this year is a bonus.
A big pre season and a big year for Dutchy next year.
Go Tiges.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
keep
however no longer an option in the backline. since reco very slow and therefore can only play on certain types of slow ruckmen type lumbering forwards.
i would play dutchy in the square and richo at CHF or wing (that's if he stays on list)

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
He is a slow lumbering dud who occassionally plays a good game. To one dimensional to play in the backline and too inconsistent to play in the forward line. Should of been traded too Adelaide two years ago. He is probably one of the greedy ones that Miller crytpically refered to.
Hacks like him will not take us too the next level and he is a long time core senior loser as well.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Absolutely get rid of him. He typifies everything wrong with Richmond's management of its playing list. He's played half a good season in 6 and we reward him with a $400,000 p.a. contract. Unbelievable.

He is incredibly slow and he is underskilled by foot. He constantly drops to his knees and makes bad decisions. Some days he just looks like he doesn't really want to be there. He's Hymey the robot off Maxwell Smart.

This guy should have been traded a couple of years ago when we would have received maximum value from him. But no, the wise ones at RFC insist he is a gun and that we have to keep him. We'd be lucky to get a 3rd round draft pick for him now.

As long as we keep thinking players like this are going to help us go forward, we are doomed.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Diggler & Redford, once again your analysis is 100% spot on. Ben "*smile* Truck" Holland is a lemon and a buffoon! The moron plays one half of a good season in 2001, holds the club to ransom and gets a 3 years $400K pa contract as a reward. He should've been shipped back to SA with the rest of the bogans in a straight swap for Kane Johnson. We then could've hung on to our first draft pick in 2002. But of course it's just another example of Mr. Potatohead completely over rating a player.

Sure, he kicked 3 goals in the 2nd half when the game was over but where was he in the 1st half? Getting towelled up by Rocca, that's where! Just liked he was towelled up by Ben Graham (2nd softest player in the AFL after Bowden) the week before.

He is glacier-like slow, unskilled, undisciplined, and brainless. But I suppose that makes him a valued commodity at the Rabble Football Club.

Like Bowden, Rogers and many others, he has been at the club for 7-8 years and we have gone nowhere. And whilst players like him remain at the club we will continue to go nowhere.

Simple as that.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Redford said:
Absolutely get rid of him. He typifies everything wrong with Richmond's management of its playing list. He's played half a good season in 6 and we reward him with a $400,000 p.a. contract. Unbelievable.

He is incredibly slow and he is underskilled by foot. He constantly drops to his knees and makes bad decisions. Some days he just looks like he doesn't really want to be there. He's Hymey the robot off Maxwell Smart.

This guy should have been traded a couple of years ago when we would have received maximum value from him. But no, the wise ones at RFC insist he is a gun and that we have to keep him. We'd be lucky to get a 3rd round draft pick for him now.

As long as we keep thinking players like this are going to help us go forward, we are doomed.
who is going to hold gaspa hand if dutchy goes?why don't we wrap them both up and trade them to the west, for some good young talant that wants to come back to vic.both are over paid very slow past their used by date.they are both only at R F C to hold us to ransom to see what they can get out of us for not much effort.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Yes I am afraid this dud has to go held them to ransom and hasn't delivered. Hopefully he can play a few good games and lift his profile and then get rid of him first offer they get

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Seeing Miller has said we can only exchange 6-7 players would you guys have Dutchy amongst them?

I can think of heaps who would probably go before him.

Then again a direct swap of Dutchy and someone like Tredrea might warrant a bit of consideration. ;)

P.S. A few here have mentioned Dutchy's salary. Out of interest how much is he paid?

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Without wanting to provoke the wrath of the super-heated ferals, I do not think that we can blame Dutchie for our seasons woe.

Why? Well the guy has only just come back from a knee reconstruction.

Yep he's been towelled the last two weeks down back because of the lack of his pace, but give the bloke a go. Irrespective of the player payment issue, I think that he has always played servicable footy for Richmond. Yep he's no game breaker, but not everyone is.

He played his best footy for the Tiges when he was down back WITH the support of Gas. He can take the second threat in the oppositions forward line and he can be thrown into CHF to take a grab and kick goals. At least the guy CAN take a grab in the forward fifty and CAN kick a goal from 20m dead in front.

As Rosy said if we can only churn 6-7 players (Millers words) then I would name B'scum, Houligan, Pettifer, King, Hilton, Rogers(last legs), Cameron(last legs too), Dunc (no legs left), Hyde and Mills (?? haven't seen enough) that would go before Dutchie. There's also another tier of players that could be trade bait as well.

Who the hell is gonna support Gas down back next year, becasue this year we were only just hanging in there when we had multiple threats.

Also when the guy did get a go up forward he gave a bit. He will never be the main go to man, but in tandem either up forward or down back he is not that bad. We all loved him in'01 when he was taking those solid marks down back.

There's a lot more crap in our team at the moment that needs sorting out other than a bloke who's just getting back into it. Otto is going through the same thing.

It's blokes like Cap'n tiger that's got no element of team running through his mad-cowed brain that is killing us along with his mates.

If everyone else around Dutchie is pulling their weight I don't think he would be so criticised. Have a look at David Cloke, he aint no Daniel Wells, but because he's got a good team around him where everyone is contributing he can do his job to the best of his ability and he gets the accolades. The wobblers love him. You can't tell me that he's any better than a match fit Dutchie.

I just think that when you look at any one player in isolation you have to take into consideration the players around him. Very few players still shine when they do not have support. Those blokes are champions. Take Krak for example, he would already be a faster developing gun/goal sneak if he had an itelligent gun forward around him. Put him in a Port team or Freo or Brissie and he'd seem much more developed.

So give Dutchie some time and put the blow torch on some of the other soft cones.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Agree Tenacious that Holland is not the cause of this season's woes. However, he is typical of the sort of players the Rabble Football Club has had in recent times. Over rated, over paid and extremely deficient in some areas of his game. In his case, pace, foot skills and football brain.

You can't have it both ways. If he gets the big bucks he must perform and can't be defended as a "servicable" footballer. Why is he getting top dollar if he's merely a back up or second string forward? Potatohead's been sprouting all year how great it's gonna be to have him back in the side. That's just crap. If we are relying on players the ilk of Ben Holland to improve our fortunes we'll be crap for another 20 years.

As for his salary, can't 100% categorically say but I have a source pretty close to the club that says $400K pa is about right. This is the same source that also told me about the "out clause" in Potatohead's contract if we missed the finals this year. That is until Miller removed it.

We should've traded Holland to Adelaide for Johnson when we had the chance two years ago. Agree there are players at the club who should go before him (Bowden and Rogers to start with) but the fact is he may have some currency, particularly with the SA clubs. We should be looking to trade him to get onballers, either via direct trade or through the draft, as a priority.

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Ok, he had a bad knee injury......fair enough

He is not a backman, we used to call him the decoy when he played down back as all he did was run around.

Up forward however he is a viable option, he unlike Richo gets the ball delivered to him WHERE HE CAN MARK, not WHERE THEY JUST KICK IT.

And we are paying him $300,000 a year so we better get our moneys worth

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Decent key position players are a rare commodity and the fact is we dont have all that many of them on our list. I would suspect Hiolland would not be going anywhere unless we could get back one of at least equal worth or better and where then is the incentive for the other club to trade him. I would suspect that he wouldnt be going anywhere.

I like that Drew Petrie from the Kangaroos though, he is a star in the making took him a while to develop though.