Ben Lennon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben Lennon

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
TigerMasochist said:
Bloody dreamers bagging Scumwoods recruiting in recent years.
The bastards have been playing heaps of finals, won a flag n have launched an aggressive list refresh over the last two drafts. I hope n pray we've done as good a job of list building as them over the last few years.
No club ever gets things perfect all the time, it's always a balancing act, between building a list that will get you to a finals era. Then obviously topping and adjusting the list to grab the flag chance or two when it presents, followed by refreshing the team with the core of the next generation. While still respecting the older finals core and providing hope n promise for the next group coming through.

Can anybody see Coll spending a long period in the bottom 8 again in the near future? I can't. Got their *smile* together the Pies.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
TigerMasochist said:
The bastards have been playing heaps of finals, won a flag n have launched an aggressive list refresh over the last two drafts. I hope n pray we've done as good a job of list building as them over the last few years.
No club ever gets things perfect all the time, it's always a balancing act, between building a list that will get you to a finals era. Then obviously topping and adjusting the list to grab the flag chance or two when it presents, followed by refreshing the team with the core of the next generation. While still respecting the older finals core and providing hope n promise for the next group coming through.

Hine has been one of the best in the business at rebuilds without bottoming out, that's the thing with Collingwood, they refuse to get sentimental when marquee players look for greener pastures. Remember Tarrant? They effectively swapped him for Ben Reid, who has since become an AA backman, and then invited Tarrant back for good measure. The wheeling and dealing this year was also masterful, fancy losing your best defender and then picking up a player of the quality of Scharenberg, no wonder they never have to bottom out like many of the other former powerhouses.

Ignoring the fact I rate Lennon ahead of Freeman, I think it's pretty clear that Collingwood are looking at becoming innovators on some level. The recruitment of Marsh also follows a similar theme, here we have the two jets of 2013, both powerfully built sprinters who will be very difficult to match up on if they can fine tune their skills. Sure, they're a bit rough around the edges but Collingwood's development has always been outstanding, both players are very fortunate to have landed at one of the best resourced clubs in the land.

I've always been a fan of Hine, despite some first round blunders and dud trades. Ultimately, his reputation has been built around his use of late picks and astute trading. Amazing to think that their current captain was a rookie selection, to go with the many other rookies who have become core footballers, not to mention a Brownlow medalist who cost them pick 58. And Dane Swan should provide a timely reminder that Nathan Freeman could become a very formidable player, he may not be a good fit at Richmond, but at least the footy gods have dealt him a very favourable opening hand.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
bullus_hit said:
Hine is the master of late picks and rookies, his record with first rounders has been patchy. There's been some howlers in amongst Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury & Ben Reid. Egan is missing from that list too, so he's capable of butchering his fair share of first rounders.

If only we could combine Frank's mastery of first rounders with Hine's superb record with junk picks, we'd have one of the greatest recruiters of all time.

By the way, I think Collingwood did exceedingly well with Schareberg but Freeman looks to be a boom or bust type, much like Bontempelli. Hine could wind up looking like a genius or could end up looking like a dill. In four years we'll know the truth.

Thanks spook and bully so do this tell us fj is better because hine has more resources - I think it might

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
bullus_hit said:
Hine has been one of the best in the business at rebuilds without bottoming out, that's the thing with Collingwood, they refuse to get sentimental when marquee players look for greener pastures. Remember Tarrant? They effectively swapped him for Ben Reid, who has since become an AA backman, and then invited Tarrant back for good measure. The wheeling and dealing this year was also masterful, fancy losing your best defender and then picking up a player of the quality of Scharenberg, no wonder they never have to bottom out like many of the other former powerhouses.

Ignoring the fact I rate Lennon ahead of Freeman, I think it's pretty clear that Collingwood are looking at becoming innovators on some level. The recruitment of Marsh also follows a similar theme, here we have the two jets of 2013, both powerfully built sprinters who will be very difficult to match up on if they can fine tune their skills. Sure, they're a bit rough around the edges but Collingwood's development has always been outstanding, both players are very fortunate to have landed at one of the best resourced clubs in the land.

I've always been a fan of Hine, despite some first round blunders and dud trades. Ultimately, his reputation has been built around his use of late picks and astute trading. Amazing to think that their current captain was a rookie selection, to go with the many other rookies who have become core footballers, not to mention a Brownlow medalist who cost them pick 58. And Dane Swan should provide a timely reminder that Nathan Freeman could become a very formidable player, he may not be a good fit at Richmond, but at least the footy gods have dealt him a very favourable opening hand.

Agreed. The Pies are pragmatic when looking at their list. Not only that - this season - Buckley has dealt with the dissenters at the Club (the rat pack) - with only Swan left at the Club. They have scored Taylor Adams who will be a 200 gamer in a straight swap for Shaw (Heath aint got another 200 games in him) & managed to snaffle picks 6 + 10 in the draft while still making the 8 last year. How good is that ? Scharenberg will be a quality player & Freeman is targetted be the grunt on baller that burrows in & gets it out to the Pendlebury's of this world. They grabbed Grundy at pick 19 last year. As much as I detest the Pies as they were always the enemy, along with Carlton while growing up - can't help but admire their professionalism at draft/trade time.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
TigerMasochist said:

The comment was Pies rarely get it wrong with their recruiting. I think recent history shows they've got plenty wrong. Not bagging them per se, they've also done plenty right. Reckon they killed the draft this year, would have been perfection if Melbourne didn't thwart them from getting Salem ss well.

Browndog

Tiger Rookie
Sep 24, 2013
GoodOne said:
The comment was Pies rarely get it wrong with their recruiting. I think recent history shows they've got plenty wrong. Not bagging them per se, they've also done plenty right. Reckon they killed the draft this year, would have been perfection if Melbourne didn't thwart them from getting Salem ss well.

They should of killed it with two top picks in the top 10. Freeman was a mistake over Lennon. But anyway. Let the legend build.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
If i was a collingwood supporter i would be extremely happy with
2012 - Grundy,Broomhead,Kennedy
2013 - Scharenberg,Freeman,Adams

Then with your core of the following players
Sidebottom,Beams,Pendlebury,Swan,Fosolo,Elliot,Ball etc etc

The Pies know what they are doing - Getting rid of players that are "Just about" Past their best and getting a top price and drafting top end talent with these picks

They will be top 6-8 for the next 10 years

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
GoodOne said:
Every club gets picks wrong, the under resourced clubs more than the well backed ones. Also often much harder for a reasonable player to break into a quality side that regularly plays finals than it is for them to play games for a side constantly scraping it's arse along the bottom of the heap, so there's a slight imbalance of perception of failed pick.
Becomes easy for sides that constantly play finals to kill a draft by trading mature " finals experienced players " for early picks. Sides that don't play much finals generally can't afford to trade out their couple of elite players for promising kids simply because they'd either end up with no senior guidance for the developing players or bugger all fans turning up to watch kids get smashed.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
DirtyDogTiger said:

What a shocker

Hampson
Lennon
Gordon
Lloyd
Banfield
Miles
Thomas

And yet we were only four years from a Premiership. We must have done really well with the intangibles.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Lloyd n Snipper weren't to bad for late selections. Mighta struck out with the rest of them though.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
It was a great effort to win a premiership soon after such a bad draft. The first pick should have been the extra Mid in Cripps, Crouch or Merrett.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Looking back over this thread my early concerns were well founded. With high picks I prefer we go with genuine junior mids & fill them in snr flank roles rather than the opposite of trying to craft talented young flankers into midfield options. I’ll keep beating that drum.Agree Lennon was one of our biggest busts in recent times. Aah well just neeed to learn from it.