Ben Lennon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben Lennon

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Stylo said:
Another recent Richmond draftee had the same problem... He fell all the way to pick 9 because of it ;)

Perhaps the football gods are smiling on us, finally

We're certainly getting our fair share of breaks these days, a sign that the glory days aren't too far away. :)

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
bullus_hit said:
We got the good one Oldie, classic case of athlete versus footballer, Collingwood may get the best out of him but he's still a big risk. Lennon is blue chip, a raking kick with a superb set of mitts, you can't teach that. He tested poorly but that is now Richmond's good fortune, did I mention he has been battling an ankle injury all year. ;)

Maybe Lennon might be better or maybe not, Collingwood rarely get it wrong. Personally my preference was Lennon would have been disappointed with Freeman or Jones.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Reading the essenHUN and a Ralphy article said that after the AIS training Lennon did with us, we fell in love with each other.

Do you think there could have been a bit of holding back by Ben at the combine?

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Tigers of Old said:
Can he make the transition to midfield?

Just read this as well, ToO.

"Returning to the TAC Cup later in the season, Lennon showed his smarts as a midfielder and averaged 28 disposals over a five-week period for the Northern Knights. He finished with a season average of 25 touches for the Knights."

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
Very very pleased to see we got a guy who is classy and gets the ball a lot during games.

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
wayne said:
Reading the essenHUN and a Ralphy article said that after the AIS training Lennon did with us, we fell in love with each other.

Do you think there could have been a bit of holding back by Ben at the combine?

Funny Wayne, cause i pondered the same when i read that last night

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
davidrodan said:
Funny Wayne, cause i pondered the same when i read that last night

Apparently his testing was in line with previous results - is more pure footballer than draft combine warrior

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
GEDS1 said:
Collingwood rarely get it wrong.
Dunno about that. In 2006 they pissed away pick 10 on Nathan Brown when Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley were on the board. (Incidentally, we now have 5 of the top 30 from that 'Super Draft' - Jack (13), Hampson (17), Grigg (19), Edwards (26) and Petterd (30), plus Houli, who was pick 42 - the pick Miller gave away in the Polak swap and the man FJ would have drafted if we'd kept it.)

Collingwood traded its first pick in 2007 (14, for Cam Wood), 2009 (14 + 41 for Jolly), 2010 (25, for Krakouer and Cegler) and 2011 (25, for Marty Clarke & Jamie Elliott). Mixed bag. Two wins, two losses in my book. Plus the 2006 loss, and the wins in 2008 and 2012. Four wins, three losses, in the first round of the seven drafts prior to this year's. And that's counting Jolly as a win (he rucked in a premiership, you have to), but he's gone after four years, while the likes of Aaron Black, Mitch Duncan, Jack Gunston, Sam Reid, Allen Christensen and Nathan Vardy (all taken pick 25 or after) look like having long careers in front of them. They won a flag, so it's justified, but mortgaged a bit of their future to get it. Did well last year trading Dawes and Wellingham for top-20 picks and were gifted a top-10 pick for Thomas this year, so they'll be fine.

But we're seven-for-seven in the first round 2006-12 (albeit mostly with better picks than them). I'm glad they took Freeman and we got Lennon. Let's hope it's a Brown-Riewoldt level stuff-up by the Scum.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Newman said:
Hi Bullus.

I'm sure you have already mentioned it but where did you rate Lennon in this draft?

Top ten, ahead of Bontempelli, Freeman & Sheed.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
spook said:
Dunno about that. In 2006 they p!ssed away pick 10 on Nathan Brown when Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley were on the board. (Incidentally, we now have 5 of the top 30 from that 'Super Draft' - Jack (13), Hampson (17), Grigg (19), Edwards (26) and Petterd (30), plus Houli, who was pick 42 - the pick Miller gave away in the Polak swap and the man FJ would have drafted if we'd kept it.)

Collingwood traded its first pick in 2007 (14, for Cam Wood), 2009 (14 + 41 for Jolly), 2010 (25, for Krakouer and Cegler) and 2011 (25, for Marty Clarke & Jamie Elliott). Mixed bag. Two wins, two losses in my book. Plus the 2006 loss, and the wins in 2008 and 2012. Four wins, three losses, in the first round of the seven drafts prior to this year's. And that's counting Jolly as a win (he rucked in a premiership, you have to), but he's gone after four years, while the likes of Aaron Black, Mitch Duncan, Jack Gunston, Sam Reid, Allen Christensen and Nathan Vardy (all taken pick 25 or after) look like having long careers in front of them. They won a flag, so it's justified, but mortgaged a bit of their future to get it. Did well last year trading Dawes and Wellingham for top-20 picks and were gifted a top-10 pick for Thomas this year, so they'll be fine.

But we're seven-for-seven in the first round 2006-12 (albeit mostly with better picks than them). I'm glad they took Freeman and we got Lennon. Let's hope it's a Brown-Riewoldt level stuff-up by the Scum.

Hine is the master of late picks and rookies, his record with first rounders has been patchy. There's been some howlers in amongst Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury & Ben Reid. Egan is missing from that list too, so he's capable of butchering his fair share of first rounders.

If only we could combine Frank's mastery of first rounders with Hine's superb record with junk picks, we'd have one of the greatest recruiters of all time.

By the way, I think Collingwood did exceedingly well with Schareberg but Freeman looks to be a boom or bust type, much like Bontempelli. Hine could wind up looking like a genius or could end up looking like a dill. In four years we'll know the truth.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
If only we could combine Frank's mastery of first rounders with Hine's superb record with junk picks, we'd have one of the greatest recruiters of all time.
Isn't that Stephen Wells?

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Baloo said:
I thought it was Chris Pelchan as well

Pelchen?

The guy that drafted Ellis , dowler and Thorpe with 3 top 8 picks and missed out on selwood pendlebery and Ryder ?

You have to be kidding

His record is bad at best

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
GEDS1 said:
Maybe Lennon might be better or maybe not, Collingwood rarely get it wrong.

Really? In 2010 and 2011, out of 8 draft picks, 6 of them have played only 13 games between them. Mind you their first pick in 2010 was #45 and in 2011 was #50. In 2009 their first pick was #30 and they took Luke Ball. They killed it in 2008 with Sidebottom and Beams but not really alot to go on with Collingwood in terms of high draft picks.

I don't know much about Freeman, but Lennon is the one we needed for our current requirements and so happy he got through to us.

Edit: Oops didn't see spook's post.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bloody dreamers bagging Scumwoods recruiting in recent years.
The bastards have been playing heaps of finals, won a flag n have launched an aggressive list refresh over the last two drafts. I hope n pray we've done as good a job of list building as them over the last few years.
No club ever gets things perfect all the time, it's always a balancing act, between building a list that will get you to a finals era. Then obviously topping and adjusting the list to grab the flag chance or two when it presents, followed by refreshing the team with the core of the next generation. While still respecting the older finals core and providing hope n promise for the next group coming through.