Ben Roberts Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben Roberts Smith

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Civil defamation case . Not a Federal Criminal Court of Law. Until then just keep reading the gossips columns.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I don't condone what Ben has done, nor what his rogue group have been accused of doing but I do feel some sympathy for our soldiers and the mental toll on them. I've never served in the army but I can imagine the stress on soldiers who have ro kill other people as part of their job. The line between friend and foe must get blurred when they all dress the same, just like in Vietnam for those who were conscripts. What are our soldiers supposed to do with prisoners? Are they detained in some way in the area of battle and then rounded up later to a prison nearby. In WW2 prisoners were sent on a long march of 100's of km to a prison and of course many died along the way. Very sad that our conflicts end in war but it will never change.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I don't condone what Ben has done, nor what his rogue group have been accused of doing but I do feel some sympathy for our soldiers and the mental toll on them. I've never served in the army but I can imagine the stress on soldiers who have ro kill other people as part of their job. The line between friend and foe must get blurred when they all dress the same, just like in Vietnam for those who were conscripts. What are our soldiers supposed to do with prisoners? Are they detained in some way in the area of battle and then rounded up later to a prison nearby. In WW2 prisoners were sent on a long march of 100's of km to a prison and of course many died along the way. Very sad that our conflicts end in war but it will never change.
Yeh, hard to imagine the constant pressure these soldiers are under. Watching mates get killed. Life and death decisions all the time. It's not surprising lines are crossed.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
He sued. And the defence was truth. And he lost. Not much gossip.
The judge said there wasnt enough evidence to prove he assaulted his girlfriend, but because of all the other, proven, allegations, alleging he beat his girlfriend couldn't possibly make his reputation any worse!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Who funded his court action? Kerry Stokes. Who funds Bruce Lehrmann's BS? Kerry Stokes. Some good blokes you got there Stokesy.

Hopefully Stokes is up for the full $35 million estimated court costs.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Brendon Nelson put all his chips on BRS too.

Its easier to get an A on The Conservative Character Test,

Than it is to get unsolicited home maintenance suggestions off your mother-in-law

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Judge Besanko absolutely smashes BRS in his full judgement. Unreliable witness, tampered with witnesses, threatened witnesses, had "unusual payment patterns" with prospective witnesses.

Guy is an absolute *smile* and a bully.

I get that war is hell, and the stresses must be unbelievable, but shooting unarmed civies, then lying, bullying and bribing your way out of it is inexcusable.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
'Don't murder unarmed civilians' doesn't seem too much of an ask.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Yeah im a bit the same

Ive got a dog thats well trained to round up cows, but i just cant get her to stop biting the horse

And if im being honest,

if im getting shot at, i want BRS beside me over Bob Brown.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The rumours are he's not well liked in the SAS, and that his VC was at least partially "constructed" by the old boys network. One former SAS soldier said that BRS claimed some of his "kills" as his own. BRS' dad was a justice of WA's Supreme Court.

I feel there may be more to come out around the VC award process.

• Wow

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Bruce Lehman & Ben Roberts Smith - Both had their legal expenses funded by Stokes.
Christian Porter, WAer - Legal expenses funded by "unknown" benefactor, believed to be Stokes

He's got interesting choice of friends does Stokes

• Wow

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
if im getting shot at, i want BRS beside me over Bob Brown.

I'd probably prefer the SAS soldiers who came forward to expose BRS. You can certainly trust them more.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'd probably prefer the SAS soldiers who came forward to expose BRS. You can certainly trust them more.

My point is,

Despite his crimes, character flaws, and politics,

If even half the account of his deeds that saw him awarded the VC are true, which is likely,

He is to warriors as Dusty is to footballers.

To explore that analogy further, should fairness be considered in awarding a brownlow medal and a Victoria Cross?

Either way, He is clearly no ordinary man by any measure.

Im sort of playing the devils advocate, but also reflecting my viewpoint on fighting - avoid at all costs, but if youve gotta do it, dont lose;

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
My point is,

If even half the account of his deeds that saw him awarded the VC are true, which is likely,

To explore that analogy further, should fairness be considered in awarding a brownlow medal and a Victoria Cross?

Im sort of playing the devils advocate, but also reflecting my viewpoint on fighting - avoid at all costs, but if youve gotta do it, dont lose;
Sure, but he'd probably shoot you in the back if it meant it would make him look good.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
My point is,

he might ask you to shoot an innocent civilian he just kicked off a cliff, would you follow those orders?