Best/Worst TV Sports Commentators | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best/Worst TV Sports Commentators

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Worst\Most annoying:
Ian Healy
James Brayshaw
Brian Taylor
Rex hunt
Basil Zempalis
Tim Gossage
Anyone based in SA
Eddie McGuire.
Alistair Lynch
Danny Frawley
Tony Shaw
Bruce McAvaney

Think I got em all......

As for the above,Marv Albert was fantastic.
I also respect:
As was Hubie Brown, loved his analysis. Shame he never really succeeded as a coach.
Richie Benaud - just never said anything unnecessary. (RE: Healy and Brayshaw).
Mark Nicholas.
I like Commetti, when he's not commentating a game with a WA team. Very smooth voice.
Tim Lane
Gerard Whateley.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Brayshaw takes out the Olympic gold medal for most annoying IMO. His contrived use of stupid slang is pathetic. Healy is in the ball park. Saw him, and Rackemann, smashed in a pub one night, he was even more annoying. Great cricketer, a-grade goose.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
For me nobody matches the quality of Clinton Grybas and Tim Lane's earlier ABC commentary. Great voices and painted a picture that made you feel you were at the game. It's more about ego and entertainment now unfortunately.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
For me nobody matches the quality of Clinton Grybas and Tim Lane's earlier ABC commentary. Great voices and painted a picture that made you feel you were at the game. It's more about ego and entertainment now unfortunately.

I heard that great voice in this morning's 2005 Rich v Haw game shown on Fox Footy. RIP Clint.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
tigersnake said:
Brayshaw takes out the Olympic gold medal for most annoying IMO. His contrived use of stupid slang is pathetic. Healy is in the ball park. Saw him, and Rackemann, smashed in a pub one night, he was even more annoying. Great cricketer, a-grade goose.
Get that impression from Healy every time he opens his mouth. There have been some bad cricket commentators, but he's right up there.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
To be fair, when people have a Favourite fishing spot that just doesn't stop biting, you tend to go back there over and over again

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Hope he leaves on the best note possible, calling a Richmond premiership against the shockers.

He can then choke on his tears all the way back to his beloved Sandgroperland.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Tim Lane. Has proved his class by maintaining his standard on AW. In fact has lifted the quality of that stations game day stuff ( pity he is never paired up with Dwayne Russell who has lot to learn) Also a good columnist in Sunday Age.

And I am sure to be in a one man fan club but I like Tony Leonard. He describes with enthusiasm and accuracy, doesn't pretend to an expert and can see the funny side of the game without being a buffoon. Unlike footballers who try to cross over to comedy in commentary he has more successfully gone from comedian to serious football caller.

and Healy has form ... Last century gave it a huge nudge on the turps one night on tour where I was at a team function.

dusty delivers

Tiger Rookie
Mar 11, 2016
Whilst not on TV, Rohan Connolly is frequently giving me the sh*ts with his Essendon fanboism and hatred of Richmond. He has had the joy to dissect the tigers last 2 game for The Age and his dislike seeps from the page. And from what I recall, he could only fit 2 tigers in the top 5 votes against the pies and none against Adelaide. Clear bias IMO.

Heard him a bit over summer on SEN and thought he had potential but he too often laughs at his own jokes and is too blinkered on the bombers driugs situation for mine. Apparently is a big twitter user and has frequent online stoushes - is that true?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
dusty delivers said:
Whilst not on TV, Rohan Connolly is frequently giving me the sh*ts with his Essendon fanboism and hatred of Richmond. He has had the joy to dissect the tigers last 2 game for The Age and his dislike seeps from the page. And from what I recall, he could only fit 2 tigers in the top 5 votes against the pies and none against Adelaide. Clear bias IMO.

Heard him a bit over summer on SEN and thought he had potential but he too often laughs at his own jokes and is too blinkered on the bombers driugs situation for mine. Apparently is a big twitter user and has frequent online stoushes - is that true?
He's pretty thin skinned in Twitter but then there is a lot of trolling morons there.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Connolly is like a llot in the talk back / social media...come across happy to hear other opinions but arc up if you challenge their dearly held views directly. In general radio, Tom Elliott is the same. ( He honestly believes in the race of life he started off scratch with Usain Bolt in the 100m final and just been pipped. Don't ever suggest Tom had a 15m head start and Bolt was in lead Boots. )