Best/Worst TV Sports Commentators | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best/Worst TV Sports Commentators

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
dusty delivers said:
Whilst not on TV, Rohan Connolly is frequently giving me the sh*ts with his Essendon fanboism and hatred of Richmond. He has had the joy to dissect the tigers last 2 game for The Age and his dislike seeps from the page. And from what I recall, he could only fit 2 tigers in the top 5 votes against the pies and none against Adelaide. Clear bias IMO.

Heard him a bit over summer on SEN and thought he had potential but he too often laughs at his own jokes and is too blinkered on the bombers driugs situation for mine. Apparently is a big twitter user and has frequent online stoushes - is that true?

Yes that last bit is true, and he likes to think he's also a music expert.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Really struggle with Cameron Ling. With a potential vacancy opening up on the Geelong Council maybe he can just take over from the parasite with a camera.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
RFC not KFC said:
Really struggle with Cameron Ling. With a potential vacancy opening up on the Geelong Council maybe he can just take over from the parasite with a camera.
Last Saturday night, the Ch 7 duds (less Richo) were conversating about something non-Richmond until Ling breaks in and wants to talk about the Tigers. The bloke has been media-brainwashed quick.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
RFC not KFC said:

He lost me last year when we played Freo.

His love of Nat Fyfe was sickening. He needed to go and have a lie down.

Tiger Claw

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2016
The worst commentator by a the length of the proverbial straight is Bruce (delicious) Smackavanny. His constant need for affirmation after just about every comment drives me up the wall. "Isn't it?, "Can't they?", Won't they?" "Haven't they?" " Wasn't it?" etc, etc.

Sam and the Footy Show did a satirical segment on him a few years back. They edited all his silly little affirmations together and it looked and sounded totally ridiculous! You would think being a seasoned broadcast professional, he would have said to himself..." Well, no one's perfect, I'm obviously upsetting a lot of people, so I'll lift my game". Nope. He's still worse than ever. I cringe when he gets a Tigers game.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
wayne said:
Yes that last bit is true, and he likes to think he's also a music expert.

Yeah he is painful on that subject. Had a crack at MMM listeners for the station only playing old music, which is ok in isolation, but then proceeded to (and still does) spend days posting Youtube clips of 70's and 80's rock..

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I don't see the need for TV commentators to read out the count down clock time during a game. Do they not realize the viewers can also see the clock for themselves? Healy did it yesterday in his excited voice for the last half minute of the Hawthorn St Kilda game. Try taking Richie Benaud's advice about what should be said during a TV sports commentary.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If Commetti was bad enough, get ready for Brian Taylor joining Bwuce as co-commentator next season. Just gets worse and worse.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Commetti one of my favourites. Sad to see him go.

Of the radio crew, tony Lennard is one of the best. To show excitement in the Hawks v doggies callas the Hawks beat his beloved - and Murphy having a season ending injury - was classy.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
lukeanddad said:
Commetti one of my favourites. Sad to see him go.

Of the radio crew, tony Lennard is one of the best. To show excitement in the Hawks v doggies callas the Hawks beat his beloved - and Murphy having a season ending injury - was classy.

Lane Leonard in tandem with Richo special comments makes non tigers games worth listening too. Tend to operate Sunday afternoon.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Pretty much spot on.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/02/from-bt-to-dwayne-russell-the-afl-commentary-mid-season-report-card

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I hope we don't have to suffer Cameron Ling commentating tomorrow night, even though I will be at the game I will watch a replay and cannot stand his boring commentating. And he adds smug when the cats are involved. Easily the worst special comments bloke going around.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Let the picture do the talking. Loved the minimalism of the old ABC commentating team during the 70's. Like honey to a bee now....

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
glantone said:
Let the picture do the talking. Loved the minimalism of the old ABC commentating team during the 70's. Like honey to a bee now....

Commentators like Brian Taylor shout WOWEE, OH BOY at a big incident.
For the same incident a Richie Benaud type would simply say mmmmm.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Time to revive this.

Brian Taylor.

Watching replay at one stage in the last quarter I think and he said something along the lines one more goal should see the Eagles off.
Slight pause (must have had someone in his ear...Brian, Tigers are currently playing the Crows!)
Then he corrected himself.

Flog.

Kept asking Richo about Richmond Players eg Short like he'd never seem them before. Sounded condescending trying to find out details about them.
Richo of course answered politely.
Richo should have said If you are not going to do your homework don't come running to me for the answers.

Then I watched about five minutes of the Coll match. His beloved Collingwood. Of course Brian never played for anyone else.

Essendon was in front by 5 ponts I think. De Goey was having a shot and his Flogness said; This to put the Bombers in front!

Silence. Then the correction.

"Of course I meant Collingwood!"

Is he drinking in the commentary box or just a flog?

Lucky Flossy and Concs weren't playing as he continually mixes them up.
Also mixes up Lambert and KMac (from other games) which is easy to do considering KMac is about a foot taller.

What a flog. :pullhair :smash

We almost need to start a Brian Taylor Calling stuff up Thread

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
In last weeks Sydney game, Sydney player lining up for goal. BT: ‘playerx has kicked 4 goals in his career, and yet to kick a goal this season. (Pause)... apart from the goal he kicked in the first quarter.’

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
lukeanddad said:
In last weeks Sydney game, Sydney player lining up for goal. BT: ‘playerx has kicked 4 goals in his career, and yet to kick a goal this season. (Pause)... apart from the goal he kicked in the first quarter.’
My wife is a Swans fan so watches most of the Swans games. She cannot stand his insistence on over-pronouncing Llllloooooyd every time he gets the ball. "Just say it normally!" She shouts at the TV every time.

Kind of reminds me of Billy Birmingham's satirical 12th man series, in an exchange between Bill Lawry and Max Walker, when discussing Sri Lankan all rounder Graeme Labrooy.

"His name's Graeme Max."
"Well all his team mates have such long and complicated names. Seems a petty really, for this young man to miss out. I think I'll just go on calling him Graemie."
"Geez you're *smile*ed in the head sometimes Max!"

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Luke Darcy - more often than not wrong. eg That's just McRaes standard 20 disposals in a half. No, in his career he averages 26.5 disposals a game, half of that is not 20. Accuracy not his strong suit so should not be surprised.