Blu Ray version 2019 AFL Grand Final out now | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blu Ray version 2019 AFL Grand Final out now

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Started watching my copy last night to about half way through the 2nd Q and the player blew up! Had to pry the bloody thing open to get it out!
(Btw, had the 3aw call going. ..... gees they made some blunders!)
Unfortunately it was also a hard disk drive and so I may have lost all my 2017 finals I had stored.
Would anyone be able to tell me what radio calls are on the 2017 blu ray. .... hard to find the info, or I'm lookin in the wrong spot!

There's a bloke selling them on ebay and when contacted and asked that very question his response was....

"Stuffed if I know bud, try googling it"....... fine operator!o_O

AOC, firstly as I mentioned above at JB Hi Fi you can special order the 2017 Blu Ray version of GF it will have chl 7 3aw MMM & SEN commentary.

Secondly, your player drama compares remarkably similar to me.

I) On my foxtel IQ2 i had all 2017 Finals and GF stored in High Definition then my unit blew up and had to replace with IQ3 but lost stored programs :mad:

2) Bought the Blu Ray yesterday and went to insert in my expensive Denon Blu Ray player which i hadn't used for 12 months but the disc tray won't open and close:mad: just disconnected it and have taken to a repair centre that charges $99 just to open it up and are yet to get a verdict, they will probably tell me it needs replacing completely:mad:

3) I went to option 3 to play it through my P3 player that i haven't used for 10 years, (only bought it for nephew and nieces visits at the time). Wouldn't play because of encryption issue, (meaning I had to do software upgrade), which I couldn't initially do because no internet connection because it had changed from initial set up because of NBN:mad: Being a non tech head took me 2 hours to work out how to do it.

Oh and i left batteries in my play station remote control so after 10 years you can imagine how corroded they were:mad:.

Result, finally able to watch the Blu Ray through my Play Station:D

4) Without a hint of a lie on my way over to the electronics service centre my Garmin GPS died and now i need to buy a new one:mad:

PS: Wish I were born in the non Tech era

Reactions: 1 users

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Went across to Traralgon JB HiFi and they didn’t receive any today and they couldnt tell me when they would get them. Not happy Jan!!

I went to the same store. I’d been looking forward to celebrating my Friday night with this blu ray.
And we’ll miss JB’s 20% off Blue rays which ends tomorrow night!

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
Just went to my JB Store to grab The Blu Ray none in stock

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Don't you all just love that the club is selling the blue ray for $5 more than retail stores
This year I went direct to the AFL store. Used my AFL membership and got 10% off marked prices.
Thank you. Saved a few $ and got items immediately.

Anytime soon I think there will be another premiership polo top. Hopefully it will be with some yellow on or near the sleeves.

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Northland had 8 copies last night. Seven after I left.

Reactions: 1 user

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Watched it last night with the MMM commentary on. Had to rewind a couple of times because I thought I’d missed a bit. When Cotch tackles Mumford, Mummy, big Mummy, big Saus, all of the above Brayshaw launches into a 30 second spiel about how Mumford has tried to absolutely decapitate the skipper at the first opportunity. It was like they had this preordained bit of commentary that they had to go with despite what their eyes told them.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Watched it last night with the MMM commentary on. Had to rewind a couple of times because I thought I’d missed a bit. When Cotch tackles Mumford, Mummy, big Mummy, big Saus, all of the above Brayshaw launches into a 30 second spiel about how Mumford has tried to absolutely decapitate the skipper at the first opportunity. It was like they had this preordained bit of commentary that they had to go with despite what their eyes told them.

Not as bad as Garry Lyon on the SEN commentary during the first quarter where he said:

"To those GWS fans that were worried that your team would be over awed, don't be!!" o_O
My how his tune changed as the game wore on, very enjoyable listening:)

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Not as bad as Garry Lyon on the SEN commentary during the first quarter where he said:

"To those GWS fans that were worried that your team would be over awed, don't be!!" o_O
My how his tune changed as the game wore on, very enjoyable listening:)

The best wrong call of the grand final goes, predictably, to the biggest idiot in football.

Kane Cornes at the start of the second quarter, 'At least we know GWS made the right decision in playing Phil Davis, he's keeping Riewoldt quiet.'

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
AOC, firstly as I mentioned above at JB Hi Fi you can special order the 2017 Blu Ray version of GF it will have chl 7 3aw MMM & SEN commentary.

I) On my foxtel IQ2 i had all 2017 Finals and GF stored in High Definition then my unit blew up and had to replace with IQ3 but lost stored programs :mad:

2) Bought the Blu Ray yesterday and went to insert in my expensive Denon Blu Ray player which i hadn't used for 12 months but the disc tray won't open and close:mad: just disconnected it and have taken to a repair centre that charges $99 just to open it up and are yet to get a verdict, they will probably tell me it needs replacing completely:mad:

3) I went to option 3 to play it through my P3 player that i haven't used for 10 years, (only bought it for nephew and nieces visits at the time). Wouldn't play because of encryption issue, (meaning I had to do software upgrade), which I couldn't initially do because no internet connection because it had changed from initial set up because of NBN:mad: Being a non tech head took me 2 hours to work out how to do it.

Oh and i left batteries in my play station remote control so after 10 years you can imagine how corroded they were:mad:.

4) Without a hint of a lie on my way over to the electronics service centre my Garmin GPS died and now i need to buy a new one:mad:

Bloody hell Caesar.... my issue pales into insignificance after that!
Thanks for the 2017 info much appreciated!

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I went to the same store. I’d been looking forward to celebrating my Friday night with this blu ray.
And we’ll miss JB’s 20% off Blue rays which ends tomorrow night!
I ordered it online - still get the 20% off but have to pay postage. Think it was about $28 and will be delivered by Tuesday.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

More and more I am finding that the speed of modern technology means that physical discs (DVDs and Blurays) are an unreliable format because the discs and the devices that play them age (from a software and hardware support perspective) at different rates and too often they just don't play.

It's taken me a number of years, but from a movie and football match point of view, I think there are only two ways to go:
1. Get a windows file of it (.mp4, .mkv, whatever) and save a backup on a separate physical disk. This is the most secure, generic and physical space efficient way of doing it. Unfortunately, the rights issues sometimes make them not-all-that-easy to acquire but it can be done. I have every Richmond win dating back to 2008 as a windows file. There was a time where that didn't require much in the way of disk space but not anymore!
2. Streaming services. Not entirely ideal because you don't physically have the item, but incredibly useful in terms of space and flexibility.
Chromecast helps with both methods.

And why anyone persists with a dedicated GPS device is beyond me. Google Maps is free and always up-to-date.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

i was born in the non Tech era n I usually have similar problems to yours just thinking about touching tech stuff. Don't actually have much of anything in the way of tech stuff because I usually manage to push the wrong button n blow things up without even trying. Just totally evil *smile* that completely does my head in n not only that. Every two years some *smile* smartarse Techy invents a must have whizz bang new wet fart that no-one can live without n renders all your *smile* obsolete n costs you a fortune to replace. Complete n utter WOFTAM.

• Haha

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
I ordered it online - still get the 20% off but have to pay postage. Think it was about $28 and will be delivered by Tuesday.

Cracker, thanks for the heads up TM! I paid for the slower $1.50 postage so happy to pick it up for $25.

Reactions: 1 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
If the choice is between spending $30 at a retail store and $35 at the RFC for the same item I am happy to choose the latter to support the club.

JB is selling the blu-ray for $24 at the moment so currently $11 cheaper than the club - blatant rip off.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
One thing that was immediately noticeable upon extracting to disk is that this year's game file is only 35GB compared with 2017's 40GB (2h51m v 2h45m this year). The lower bit rate probably won't be detectable with the eye, though.

The extras package comes in at a measly 12 minutes, albeit at a much higher quality than the 1h40m 2017 version hosted by Wayne Schwass.

Perhaps the makers figured they weren't going to sell as many as in 2017, and have reduced their effort accordingly.
The '17 one to which u refer is the season highlights dvd that comes with the victory pack, this yrs hasn't even been released yet.

Last edited:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Cannot stand Brayshaw, his commentary is based more around the size of the player than anything else, then again when your his size anyone is a "big brute" or whatever crap he comes up with.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
If the choice is between spending $30 at a retail store and $35 at the RFC for the same item I am happy to choose the latter to support the club.

Good man, I usually to the same, have to fund our re-development somehow;)