Blu Ray version 2019 AFL Grand Final out now | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blu Ray version 2019 AFL Grand Final out now

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
i was born in the non Tech era n I usually have similar problems to yours just thinking about touching tech stuff. Don't actually have much of anything in the way of tech stuff because I usually manage to push the wrong button n blow things up without even trying. Just totally evil **** that completely does my head in n not only that. Every two years some ******* smartarse Techy invents a must have whizz bang new wet fart that no-one can live without n renders all your **** obsolete n costs you a fortune to replace. Complete n utter WOFTAM.

I'm pretty good with technology but, since the DVD (and combined VHS :eek: ) player still works, I really can't see the point of Blu-Ray. We have a smart TV and sometimes I watch HD versions of channels and can barely see the difference.

Then again, as I sit here typing this, I am listening to a record through my valve amp (Ali Farka Toure if you want to know) and I love the sound of records and valves.

To be honest the constant updating of technology just seems to add unreliability to the whole equation. At my work the computers and systems are so much slower than they were 10 years ago it is just not funny. They also take up masses of screen real estate to the extent I now have 3 screens and can still be waiting for something to happen on each of the screens. I'm quite happy to stay with the older technology and just hope I can still play it in 10 years time. Technology is infuriatingly unreliable and I just want something which works, not impressed by most of the so called advances they try to sell us.

Someone earlier asked about radio calls on the DVD, the 2017 GF DVD had a few so I'm hoping the 2019 will when the Victory Pack comes out as that's the one I'll get. Have a few already thanks to someone linking them here, but don't have 3AW. Also I like the ABC radio so I have that one - I just play it on a tablet while watching the DVD with the sound down. Haven't listened to the KRock call yet, worth listening to?

DS

Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I'm pretty good with technology but, since the DVD (and combined VHS :eek: ) player still works, I really can't see the point of Blu-Ray. We have a smart TV and sometimes I watch HD versions of channels and can barely see the difference.

Then again, as I sit here typing this, I am listening to a record through my valve amp (Ali Farka Toure if you want to know) and I love the sound of records and valves.

To be honest the constant updating of technology just seems to add unreliability to the whole equation. At my work the computers and systems are so much slower than they were 10 years ago it is just not funny. They also take up masses of screen real estate to the extent I now have 3 screens and can still be waiting for something to happen on each of the screens. I'm quite happy to stay with the older technology and just hope I can still play it in 10 years time. Technology is infuriatingly unreliable and I just want something which works, not impressed by most of the so called advances they try to sell us.

Someone earlier asked about radio calls on the DVD, the 2017 GF DVD had a few so I'm hoping the 2019 will when the Victory Pack comes out as that's the one I'll get. Have a few already thanks to someone linking them here, but don't have 3AW. Also I like the ABC radio so I have that one - I just play it on a tablet while watching the DVD with the sound down. Haven't listened to the KRock call yet, worth listening to?

DS
Ali - ‘the river’ when driving through a heat and dust shimmering Arnhem Land. Great album.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
More and more I am finding that the speed of modern technology means that physical discs (DVDs and Blurays) are an unreliable format because the discs and the devices that play them age (from a software and hardware support perspective) at different rates and too often they just don't play.

It's taken me a number of years, but from a movie and football match point of view, I think there are only two ways to go:
1. Get a windows file of it (.mp4, .mkv, whatever) and save a backup on a separate physical disk. This is the most secure, generic and physical space efficient way of doing it. Unfortunately, the rights issues sometimes make them not-all-that-easy to acquire but it can be done. I have every Richmond win dating back to 2008 as a windows file. There was a time where that didn't require much in the way of disk space but not anymore!
2. Streaming services. Not entirely ideal because you don't physically have the item, but incredibly useful in terms of space and flexibility.
Chromecast helps with both methods.

And why anyone persists with a dedicated GPS device is beyond me. Google Maps is free and always up-to-date.

Using dedicated GPS because on a budget and chose the cheapest monthly mobile plan, ($30), I can get which only has 200MB of data and using my phone as a GPS would chew up my data in no time right? That I am asking this questions shows how little i know.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Using dedicated GPS because on a budget and chose the cheapest monthly mobile plan, ($30), I can get which only has 200MB of data and using my phone as a GPS would chew up my data in no time right? That I am asking this questions shows how little i know.
200mb of data? Thats 1 email isnt it?

I prepay with kogan at $180 per year for 3g a month.

Have a look into that mate.

Reactions: 1 user

kb68

Tiger Rookie
Jul 23, 2003
Hobart

Try Aldi mobile.
$15 a month , no contract using Telstra network. 3G of data .
I'm on $25 pack, 18G of data with rollover of unused data .

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Here's a still from the 2017 GF, DVD on the left, Blu-Ray on the right (click to enlarge).

wCfXHLM.jpg

The Blu-Ray image has substantially greater clarity. Look at the chalk line behind the umpire for example.

Some will still say they can't see much difference, or that the difference isn't worth worrying about. Fair enough.

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Here's a still from the 2017 GF, DVD on the left, Blu-Ray on the right (click to enlarge).

wCfXHLM.jpg

The Blu-Ray image has substantially greater clarity. Look at the chalk line behind the umpire for example.

Some will still say they can't see much difference, or that the difference isn't worth worrying about. Fair enough.

Blu Ray vs DVD is chalk and cheese, blu Ray every day of the week.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

I used to do the same. Wanted the cheapest deal I could find because I simply had so little use for mobile data. What I got was 300 MB per month for 6 dollars. Eventually found that wasn't enough so now I am on 1 GB for 10 dollars.
Note also with Google Maps you can pre-download your maps while you're on wifi. So what I do is keep about 100 km radius of where I live downloaded. Google Maps will then only need to use data for traffic conditions etc. If you can do without that, you could switch mobile data off while you're driving and it will still work and won't use any data at all.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I used to do the same. Wanted the cheapest deal I could find because I simply had so little use for mobile data. What I got was 300 MB per month for 6 dollars. Eventually found that wasn't enough so now I am on 1 GB for 10 dollars.
Note also with Google Maps you can pre-download your maps while you're on wifi. So what I do is keep about 100 km radius of where I live downloaded. Google Maps will then only need to use data for traffic conditions etc. If you can do without that, you could switch mobile data off while you're driving and it will still work and won't use any data at all.

Thanks, so much to learn for a nuff nuff, great to hear the various options

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

wCfXHLM.jpg

I can see the difference, but I'm looking at a computer not far from my face as opposed to a TV across the other side of the room.

I'm sure Blu Ray is better resolution but, yeah, don't think I'm worried about it.

Fastin Bulbous, yep like the River, not sure you can get it on vinyl though, this one is self titled as far as I can tell.

DS

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
JB is selling the blu-ray for $24 at the moment so currently $11 cheaper than the club - blatant rip off.

In fairness to the club, there might be more to it than that.

I have a mate who owns a small winery. He sells from the cellar door, but also to local pubs and bottle shops. If he sells his wine from the cellar door cheaper than the bottle shops, then they will not stock his wine. So he basically has to sell it from his cellar door at a price that makes him the most expensive place to buy it from.

FWIW, the club is cheaper on this DVD than Sanity by 4 cents and $5 cheaper for the victory pack.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
The best wrong call of the grand final goes, predictably, to the biggest idiot in football.

Kane Cornes at the start of the second quarter, 'At least we know GWS made the right decision in playing Phil Davis, he's keeping Riewoldt quiet.'

Yep, compare Cornes dribble to what Daisy Pearce said at the start of the second qtr.

"{Davis} looks a bit proppy. He has got the job on Jack Riewoldt and I think the only reason it hasn't really hurt them is because the fluency just hasn't been in there in Richmond's ball movement yet."

Both watching the same game, whose call would you rate more?

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Yep, compare Cornes dribble to what Daisy Pearce said at the start of the second qtr.

"{Davis} looks a bit proppy. He has got the job on Jack Riewoldt and I think the only reason it hasn't really hurt them is because the fluency just hasn't been in there in Richmond's ball movement yet."

That is just amazing.
Daisy makes about four or five different points in that comment and every one of them was 100% on the money.
Cornes on the other hand comes out of it like a goose.
But even I don't think he's that stupid.
Clearly alot of the experts are just following the narrative that they think is expected of them by certain elements within the AFL and the media hierarchy.
Don't know why they do it because ultimately they will be shown up by those that just speak their mind and are correct.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
That is just amazing.
Daisy makes about four or five different points in that comment and every one of them was 100% on the money.

He is.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
The best wrong call of the grand final goes, predictably, to the biggest idiot in football.

Kane Cornes at the start of the second quarter, 'At least we know GWS made the right decision in playing Phil Davis, he's keeping Riewoldt quiet.'
It’s incredible how wrong this bloke is so often. Terrible.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
That is just amazing.
Clearly alot of the experts are just following the narrative that they think is expected of them by certain elements within the AFL and the media hierarchy.
Don't know why they do it because ultimately they will be shown up by those that just speak their mind and are correct.
I sorta agree in that they were following a narrative of what they HOPED was gunna happen ie a GWS win.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
People are giving him too much credit saying "He's wrong on purpose to elicit a response." The people employing him might do so to elicit a response. He's wrong because he's an idiot.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

I’m going out on limb here. But I rate Daisy, reckon she’s one of the best going around.

Reactions: 1 users