Blues, Tigers' game shock (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blues, Tigers' game shock (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Blues, Tigers' game shock
02 September 2003 Herald Sun
By MICHAEL STEVENs

AFL chief executive elect Andrew Demetriou said last night Carlton and Richmond had not earned the right to host blockbusters next year.

He said fans could expect major changes in the 2004 fixture, which was already well advanced.

"I don't think they've earned the right to be part of the blockbuster (loop). I don't think Carlton or Richmond own blockbusters," Demetriou said on Talking Footy last night.

"The fact of the matter is, this year, some of our best crowds have come from outside Victoria."

New features are likely to include more "event" games and blockbusters featuring non-Victorian teams and Melbourne clubs outside the "Big Four", including St Kilda and the Kangaroos.

"They (St Kilda) have probably earned the right to command some blockbusters," Demetriou said.

"I think St Kilda-Richmond as an Easter Monday game is an event that warrants consideration for next year."

The Blues and Tigers have traditionally been scheduled for blockbuster games against Victorian powerhouses Collingwood and Essendon.

But the clubs' drawing power has reflected their poor performances over the past two years; the Carlton-Richmond game in Round 12 drew just 36,557 at the MCG.

Demetriou flagged the disappearance next season of the controversial "holding the ball" penalty for ruckmen grabbing the ball out of the ruck and being tackled.

"We discussed this at the last Laws of the Game Committee meeting and general consensus was that we're a bit harsh on ruckmen there," he said.

"It is a skill, ruckmen do grab and we've agreed to review it at the end of the season. I do expect a change there (back to what it was before this year)."

Saturday night's blockbuster qualifying final between Collingwood and Brisbane at the MCG could be shown live in Melbourne.

Demetriou said the league would give serious consideration to the issue if asked by Channel 10.

"The tickets are selling exceptionally well," Demetriou said. "There's only about 8000 seats left, and AFL members go on sale tomorrow; we would expect those to be sold.

"If the game was to be a sellout and the Ten Network asked us to go live, we would give it serious consideration."

The match is already scheduled to go live into Sydney and Brisbane.

Demetriou also admitted the AFL was disappointed Friday night's match between Collingwood and Essendon hadn't been shown live by Channel 9.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Are we slipping or are we slipping!

St Kilda ahead of Richmond, now that I would not want to see. At least, if we're down so are Carlton (spit).

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The loss of 'blockbuster' games would probably cost the club a lot of money. There are so many costs from the last couple of seasons. Richmond need to start winning games, and the club need to develop better public relations imo.
It's up to us all to go to games and help make Richmond a force again.
Geez talk about kick em when they're down. Hope my St Kilda friends don't read this article or I'll cop heaps, ha.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
What a beat up story. In 2001, 2002, 2003 we've played the Blues once not twice. Calling a game a blockbuster does not make it one - it's bums on seats that count. Demetriou shows what a clown he is by saying they don't deserve blockbuster status - what's he going to do? Stop us playing Carlton at all?

Read it carefully and it's more a reflection on Carlton than the Tigers - we're the team he nominates to play the Saints in a so called blockbuster.

Crowd figures clearly show that we are in the top 3 crowd pullers for Victorian clubs (and only ignorance is stopping me from stating where we stand overall).

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Call the games what you like KFC, but I presume the games mentioned are ones the AFL would schedule at certain times when there is a greater likelihood of selling out.
It's one of the things I hate about the AFL and it's rigged draw and favouring some clubs over others.
Collingwood go to Perth 3 times in a year? I'd like to see that. ::)

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
Nick off Demetriou, you and Jackson have always had it in for us.
They know much we mean to the AFL, they hurt when we struggle because we are one of the best crowd pullers they have.
After 20 years of crap, only a few wins gets crowds back up and roaring at the G.
Stick your blockbusters, when we're on a roll you can guarantee 45,000+ at every game for weeks on end, its the other side that depends on breaking 50-55,000.

Tommy Hafey for AFL Boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Rosy you are giving the AFL too much credit. They decide how many times the clubs play each other, it's the television networks that decide when. Why do you think there's been a dearth of "big games" on Saturday afternoons this year? Because people aren't watching the box on a Saturday afternoon.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
RFC not KFC said:
What a beat up story. In 2001, 2002, 2003 we've played the Blues once not twice. Calling a game a blockbuster does not make it one - it's bums on seats that count. Demetriou shows what a clown he is by saying they don't deserve blockbuster status - what's he going to do? Stop us playing Carlton at all?

I don't think he refering to Richmond playing Carlton RFCnotKFC. I think Andy D is talking about Richmond playing C'wood and Essendon twice. He is implying that we have lost that right.

Though I would expect that we will continue to play c'wood twice because both the Tigers & Pies have requested that we play each other in round 1 and doesn't Eddie have a big say in the fixturing ;D

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
I'll bet my house the AFL fixtures the Tigers to play Collinwood and Essendon twice next year. It would be better for us on the field if they didn't, financially it wouldn't be great. The AFL may be one of the most poorly managed sporting organisations in many respects but even they want games that will attract a crowd.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
RFC not KFC said:
..... play Collinwood and Essendon twice next year. It would be better for us on the field if they didn't, financially it wouldn't be great.

Disagree, those games are as big as they get for us and would have to be financially rewarding.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
This is yet another problem caused by our boring, uninspiring and negative style of play. While constantly losing certainly doesnt help our crowds, the fact that we continually flood back, play crap sideways/backwards football and rarely kick more than 10 goals in a game means that people dont get any enjoyment from watching a Richmond game, and in turn, dont turn up.

One man is single handedly bringing this club to its knees, someone needs to get rid of him before the damage is beyond repair.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Maybe the AFL should have a look at the stats below. Another crap year by the Tigers and we still had the 4th most people thru the gates. St Kilda had their most succesful year since 1997 and still had 170,000 people fewer attend their games. Why are they calling for blockbusters???

Hopefully, after finishing out of the 8 again, the AFL will give us a favourable draw like they did with Collingwood (last years Grand Finalist) who did not travel to Perth at all this year. Take into consideration that no Victorian side won in Perth this year and then with the "hoodoo" did not win the following week that's 4 games the Pies were "given" this year due to their soft draw.

Total attendances for 22 weeks

Collingwood 1,118,863
Essendon 958,517
Adelaide 834,590
Richmond 830,841
West Coast 751,197
Carlton 728,619
Hawthorn 686,047
St.Kilda 668,066
Brisbane 689,944
Sydney 677,077
Kangaroos 655,772
Fremantle 655,058
Melbourne 643,606
Port Adelaide 628,517
Geelong 624,369
Bulldogs 593,640

We also had an average of over 35,000 to our home games (the 5th highest for the year).

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
rosy3 said:
RFC not KFC said:
..... play Collinwood and Essendon twice next year. It would be better for us on the field if they didn't, financially it wouldn't be great.

Disagree, those games are as big as they get for us and would have to be financially rewarding.

That's exactly what I said Rosy. Financially it wouldn't be great.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
"They (St Kilda) have probably earned the right to command some blockbusters," Demetriou said.

"I think St Kilda-Richmond as an Easter Monday game is an event that warrants consideration for next year."

The success of this year's Easter Monday game was soley due to Richmond supporters turning up in their thousands to an away game (well those who were able to get into Telstra Dome that day). How did the Saints end up getting credit for this ???. The RFC should only support Easter Monday clashes between us and St Kilda in the future if the home team is alternated each season.

About Demetriou's comments - we have been punished already this year because of last year's poor season. Only 3 friday night games (2 were against the pies and only 1 of the 3 were our home game) and 5 interstate trips (most not televised). As Boss has shown the facts show we have had the 4th highest overall attendances figures and 5th highest home game attendance figures which is amazing given the crap season and poor quality/negative footy we had to put up with again.

Keep on dreaming sainters ;D.