Blumfield savours the 'G' | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blumfield savours the 'G'

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Blumfield savours the 'G'
Paul Gough in Traralgon
afl.com.au
4:39:05 PM Wed 5 February, 2003

It did not take Justin Blumfield long to discover just why Richmond had recruited him from Essendon with just minutes remaining in last year’s pre-draft trade period.

A glimpse of the highlights’ package Tigers’ officials chose to showcase the skills of the 2000 Bombers’ premiership player at Richmond’s recent annual general meeting was proof enough.

There it was – Blumfield soaring high for a mark for the Bombers directly over the top of Tiger Joel Bowden.

The simple fact is that Blumfield so often saved his best matches when playing against the Tigers and when the Bombers were forced to release him – along with fellow 2000 premiership teammates Chris Heffernan (to Melbourne) and Blake Caracella (to Brisbane) – the Tigers were only too willing to find a place for him on their list.

“There was a little bit said about it,” he admitted of his dominance against Richmond in recent years upon his arrival at Tigerland.

“But I suppose it was a good thing because when I came here they were happy to have me.”

Even last year when 25-year-old Blumfield did not enjoy one of his better seasons – despite playing 23 of 24 matches – he saved two of his best games for the two clashes against the Tigers.

One factor Blumfield puts down to his good form whenever Essendon played Richmond is that all of those games were played at the MCG – by far his favourite AFL ground.

And the classy midfielder admitted the chance to play at the MCG more often given it is the Tigers home ground, while the Bombers are now based at Docklands, was a key factor behind his decision to move to Punt Road.

“We play a lot of games at the MCG and that’s where I play my best footy so in coming to Richmond that was one of the really good things for me,” he said.

Widely adjudged second best afield – behind skipper James Hird – in the Bombers’ 2000 premiership win over Melbourne, Blumfield is relishing the extra responsibility he will have amongst the much less experienced Tigers’ playing list.

“I spoke to (Richmond coach) Danny (Frawley) a little bit about what role he wants me to play and obviously I’ve got the running capacity to play in the midfield somewhere and that’s where he wants to use me somewhere running up forward and running down back.”

“So it will be fairly similar to what I did at Essendon but here I am hoping to take on a bit of a leadership role on the field because there are a lot of young players here and I’ve got to be a bit of a role model for them.”

While the Tigers were sweating it out at Traralgon on Wednesday on the second day of their training camp – Blumfield was taking things a little bit easier having just got over a minor groin injury.

But he is confident he will be right for the start of the upcoming Wizard Cup where he will run out for his new club complete with a new number – number 13.

And he promised Tigers’ fans the number considered by many to be a jinx would not bring him in any bad luck at his new club.

“I wore it as a junior and I’ll have to play 100 games in it here to get my name on the locker."