Bob Davis' passing got me thinking about Jack Dyer | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bob Davis' passing got me thinking about Jack Dyer

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I was watching AFL 360 on Fox last night. For those who haven’t seen this show it ends with Gerard Whateley and Robbo asking a question “who would you rather be ? “ . Last night Robbo was asked the question would he rather be Jack, Lou or Bob ? Robbo didn’t hesitate when he said Jack Dyer . “320 odd games[ sic] , AFL legend , Team of the century , 1930’s etc . “
It got me thinking . Is Jack Dyer actually the biggest name in the history of Australian Football ? I mean as a total package , not just as a player. We as Tiger supporters may be biased on this but can anyone name someone who is bigger ? Jack played 312 games and was a legendary player , he was a Premiership coach as well in 1943 . He invented the drop punt , when you say Captain Blood everyone knows who you mean . World of Sport , the Captain and the Major , the Dyer ‘ere columns in The Truth and League teams . The whole package of player , coach and media personality is perhaps not matched by anyone.
Leigh Matthews , Ted Whitten, Ron Barassi , Jock McCale , Kevin Sheedy ?
Lou Richards and Bob Davis were probably as big as Jack in the media , Lou was probably bigger, but Lou’s football record is not at the same level as Jack . He didn’t coach either.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
EJ, Barassi and Captain Blood are all genuine greats IMO.
I reckon Lou and Bob are on the next level but this is still a great level to be at.

Gnarley

Tiger Rookie
Apr 15, 2011
I think as one legend goes to that great footy ground in the sky, a new living legend takes over the mantle. The footy world will celebrate the careers/lives of Barassi, Louie the Lip, etc, etc.

Kevin Bartlett will become a living legend to all as the years roll on. He was my favourite RFC player along with Robbie McGhie; Fat Cat Balme; Royce Hart; Maurice Rioli; Disco Roach; Francis Bourke; Jim Jess; Flea & Lee....anyway you know what I mean. KB now transcends all clubs as a former player who commands respect coz he was the greatest rover ever.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
KB now transcends all clubs as a former player who commands respect coz he was the greatest rover ever.

Hayden Bunton was handy. And Skilton, Aylett, Goggin, Matthews, Cable.
KB's got a bit of stiff competition.

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
Erm, yes...and I'm not sure KB has always carried himself with the dignity of some of the others mentioned.

Barass, Captain Blood and Whitten are top tier for sure.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
EJC said:
Erm, yes...and I'm not sure KB has always carried himself with the dignity of some of the others mentioned.

Barass, Captain Blood and Whitten are top tier for sure.

Right or wrong, I still know a lot of RFC fans who still have not forgiven KB for his boycott of the club when his contract was not renewed. I don't think he will ever have the reverence Dyer has with the club because of this wound.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Gnarley said:
I think as one legend goes to that great footy ground in the sky, a new living legend takes over the mantle. The footy world will celebrate the careers/lives of Barassi, Louie the Lip, etc, etc.

Kevin Bartlett will become a living legend to all as the years roll on. He was my favourite RFC player along with Robbie McGhie; Fat Cat Balme; Royce Hart; Maurice Rioli; Disco Roach; Francis Bourke; Jim Jess; Flea & Lee....anyway you know what I mean. KB now transcends all clubs as a former player who commands respect coz he was the greatest rover ever.

I think the nature of footy media today is such that nobody can have the same standing as the past legends. For example, Hec de Lacy, Alf Brown, Hugh Buggy were revered journo's in their day, while current doyen Mike Sheahan is frequently ridiculed. Footy's availability is such that everyone can see as much as the experts and form their own opinions: "I know that guy played 300 games of AFL footy but I think he's wrong on this issue."

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Tiger74 said:
Right or wrong, I still know a lot of RFC fans who still have not forgiven KB for his boycott of the club when his contract was not renewed. I don't think he will ever have the reverence Dyer has with the club because of this wound.

actually I don't blame him. Turns out he didn't miss much, except ineptitude.

Joe Lynn Turnip

Tiger Superstar
Nov 8, 2009
I know it doesn't count for much these days, but the fact The Footy Show logo since it's begining is based on a photo of Jack Dyer says it all.