Bombers looking for excuses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bombers looking for excuses

mongrel_punt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mar 4, 2003
Hawthorn
Injury cloud on key Bombers
5:17:54 PM Wed 7 May, 2003
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au
Essendon could face injury-hit Richmond with an equally-depleted side when the teams clash at the MCG on Saturday.

Already without speedy wingman Adam Ramanauskas - still recovering from surgery to remove a benign growth - the Bombers have six regular senior players under a fitness cloud, including two of their biggest names.

Star full-back Dustin Fletcher did not train at Windy Hill on Wednesday afternoon due to an ankle injury and will not play, while captain James Hird spent much of the session speaking to club medical staff about his leg injury.

“It’s not actually a thigh,” coach Kevin Sheedy said of Hird’s concern. “It’s a leg muscle that makes it annoying for him to run properly.”

Sheedy said his brilliant skipper was still a chance to line-up against the Tigers, but midfielder Dean Rioli will miss with a hamstring strain.

Paul Barnard (hamstring) and Mark Mercuri (knee) – both late withdrawals last week – are hopeful of playing, while goalsneak Damian Cupido is expected to play despite joining the session late.

But Sheedy felt the Bombers were fortunate that Fletcher would only miss one match, after initially fearing the worst when he limped off in the loss to Fremantle last Sunday.

“When Dustin Fletcher went down, we probably thought he’d be out for two or three months, but it’s much better than that. If he misses this week he’ll play the next week.”

Jason Winderlich, a lightly-built 18 year-old from Thorpdale, via the Gippsland Power, will debut for the Bombers on Saturday.

“Out of that situation an opportunity can develop for a young player,” Sheedy said. “We’ll play a first-gamer this week, Jason Winderlich.

“He’s a pretty good little player. He’s a Mark Johnson – Jason Johnson style.”

Winderlich will don the number eight guernsey, the number worn proudly at Essendon by his coach at Gippsland, Darren Bewick.

Sheedy revealed that the youngster spent a game in the coaches’ box a fortnight ago, as part of his football education. Jordon Bannister and Ramanauskas have also recently been afforded the same experience.

“It’s another way to develop your players by bringing them into the box and try to fast-track their capacity to understand the game and their ability to play along with what coaches want.”

The Tigers will be missing captain Wayne Campbell, Matthew Richardson, Brad Ottens, Justin Blumfield, Ben Holland and Adam Houlihan from their best 22.

Sheedy said that other than Brisbane and Port Adelaide - who he nominated as the best two teams in the competition – all clubs will be jockeying for the remaining six spots in the top eight in the run home to the finals.

“At the moment Brisbane is up there, Port’s climbing the ladder and everyone else is in the middle order,” he said.

“You’ve probably got 14 coaches trying to get there at the present time. I’d say that at the moment you’d have to consider that Brisbane and Port will be one-two (and) everyone else is trying to develop their team to get in the ball park.”

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
During this year alone sheedy has attempted to blood in 5 raw youngsters drafted from the past 2 drafts - Shane Harvey, Joel Reynolds, Andrew Welsh, Darren Walsh and now Jason Winderlich.

Compare this to Richmond who have blooded in 1 - David Rodan.

Essendon has therefore got a 5 times better chance of finding the next champion/s and the right playing mix.

This alone highlights our conservative approach and highlights why Frawely is heading us in the wrong direction.

Sheedy - please come home - SOON...

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
That's a bit stacked there Harry.

You can't count Winderlich cos he hasn't played yet. We might bring another one in this week too.

Maybe we're just more efficient and have the next champion in Rodan anyway. ;)

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
Yep, that would be one....

unless you count Chris Hyde...

and Tim Fleming...

and Craig Ednie...

and Chris Newman!!!!

Oops!!! ;D

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:

Harry, you have made some really interestng points in the last few days - the debate has been really good. But.......

Please don't bring up the Sheedy come home line. It aint gonna happen. They say home is where the heart is. Sheeds has been at Essendon for over 20 years, double the time he spent at Tigerland. Sure he has a soft spot the Tiges. But....

Surely home to Sheeds is Essendon. He doesn't need to go or come home because he is already there.

I just wish people would get over this notion of Sheeds being the saviour and coming home. He had the biggest chance in 2000 and decided to stay with the Bombers. I think that explains it don't you

???

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Koalalill said:
Harry said:

Harry, you have made some really interestng points in the last few days - the debate has been really good. But.......

Please don't bring up the Sheedy come home line. It aint gonna happen. They say home is where the heart is. Sheeds has been at Essendon for over 20 years, double the time he spent at Tigerland. Sure he has a soft spot the Tiges. But....

Surely home to Sheeds is Essendon. He doesn't need to go or come home because he is already there.

I just wish people would get over this notion of Sheeds being the saviour and coming home. He had the biggest chance in 2000 and decided to stay with the Bombers. I think that explains it don't you

???

Add to that he barracked for Essendon as a kid.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I don't want to fire up the "Sheedy back to Richmond" debate, but coming from the horses mouth, he will be back, probably not as coach though. Can't say too much more, we'll wait and see what unfolds

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Best news I've heard for the past 20 odd years.

Sheedy did say that he wanted to continue coaching after his contract expires - whether it be at essendon or ANYWHERE ELSE.

Heres hoping the anywhere else is at richmond. ;)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Said it before and I'll say it again PERSONALLY I wouldn't want him back as coach... all his talk about aliens and playing games with who will be in the side..Let him retire from coaching after he is done with Essendon... he will be almost completely insane by then anyway.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I'm pretty sure Sheedy said in the last six months or so that he wants finish his coaching career at Essendon.

Time for the RFC to move forward not look back.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I said it once and I'll say it again, HE WILL BE BACK, BUT PROBABLY NOT AS COACH.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
If the club wants to get membership to 30-35,000, Sheedy will cream that. If hillbilly Jim is still coach, expect current membership to decline. So the point is, get Sheedy back regardless were they finish on the ladder.