Books and good reads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Books and good reads [Merged]

E

easy_tiger

Michael said:
Easy, talking of black people, have you read last year's Booker winner, The SELLOUT?

I enjoyed the book, couldn't understand all the sh!t that it generated. It's a good read

3/4 of the way through this Mick. Its really really funny.

the first 50 pages made me feel like I wasnt smart enough, but once I got in the groove, started absolutely pissing myself and I love it.

Hominy is one of the great characters of contemporary literature.

Hey I hit the jackpot today in my literary op-shop.

Not 1, but 2 David Irelands (for a buck!)

City of Women and The Flesheaters.

I will file reviews in due course.

'

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Bernie said:
http://mailchi.mp/footyalmanac/eat-em-alive-1574185?e=2b768e22c9

This may be of interest to some Tiger supporters.

I have contributed to this book. It is going to be epic.

Let me know if you want to buy a copy.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Thanks.

Would appreciate a copy as I cannot attend the day but would love to be there.

Please give me a personal message TOT70 and i will arrange to pay my dues.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Dancing with the Bull, Matthew Simon

Fantastic book about a fictional banker, Luke Glass, who is "let go" to spend more time with his family. Without a job he struggles with his identity and pisses the family off. He eventually finds another job, only to find it's the same shirt in a different bucket. But will he make the same mistakes?

Very Very Important People, Frank and Honest Conversations, Team Building, Corporate Melancholy, Humour, Break out Areas

Excellent scene where he hears back from a job interview..... "I have great news for you Luke, you came second".....

If you've ever lost a job, read this book

E

easy_tiger

City of Women - David Ireland.

A very unusual novel in which a city is occupied exclusively by women who suffer a creative variety of ailments, mostly to their genitals.

The narrator, a doctor, has a replaced a lost love with a dog.

The women are preyed upon, picked off the pack like plains herbivores, by a malevolent man who performs crude surgery on various body parts, deposits semen inside, and sutures the wound.

The women circle the wagons around a pub, reminiscent of Ireland's Glass Canoe.

a short novel that is very rewarding in its strangness.

I found the interspersed poems of the lost love a bit self-indulgent so I just skipped them.

If you enjoy Ireland, you'lle enjoy this book. Its him getting a bit experimental, but its brevity makes it only a day or two's investment, so you'lle be content.

hey Mick, we need your short list over in collective midget nouns.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Easy, you're a wicked man. Dragging me out of the cave with such sweet treats.

Santa has gone long on Ireland, very long. All individually wrapped in gold paper. Nestled under the tree they smile at me like distant stars and premiership medals.

BTW, Im buying the kids their very own copy of Exile on Main Street and Pet Sounds. Gunna start a thing of must have albums, none of this itunes crap

E

easy_tiger

Michael said:
Easy, you're a wicked man. Dragging me out of the cave with such sweet treats.

Santa has gone long on Ireland, very long. All individually wrapped in gold paper. Nestled under the tree they smile at me like distant stars and premiership medals.

BTW, Im buying the kids their very own copy of Exile on Main Street and Pet Sounds. Gunna start a thing of must have albums, none of this itunes crap

;D

Exile would make my top 10 greatest album ever. Im pretty sure I have Let it Bleed at No.1.

Im collecting my summer reading pile also. So far ive got a Season in Tigerland - Konrad bloke, flesh eaters - Ireland and Days without End - sebastian barry, carry me down - m.j hyland

Ive got a hammock booked in a parallel universe that everything except realtors forgot. Im going to spit roast meat, watch the GF nightly, drink rum, swing and read for 2 weeks

I probably need one more books so looking for recommendations.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
easy said:
;D

Exile would make my top 10 greatest album ever. Im pretty sure I have Let it Bleed at No.1.

Im collecting my summer reading pile also. So far ive got a Season in Tigerland - Konrad bloke, flesh eaters - Ireland and Days without End - sebastian barry, carry me down - m.j hyland

Ive got a hammock booked in a parallel universe that everything except realtors forgot. Im going to spit roast meat, watch the GF nightly, drink rum, swing and read for 2 weeks

I probably need one more books so looking for recommendations.

Hey easy, if you're looking for something a bit more lighthearted, quirky even, you might consider a book called "The Rosy Project" it's by Graeme Simsion an Aussie writer.

E

easy_tiger

TT33 said:
Hey easy, if you're looking for something a bit more lighthearted, quirky even, you might consider a book called "The Rosy Project" it's by Graeme Simsion an Aussie writer.

thanks 33, ill check it out.

E

easy_tiger

Tuna - kenneth cook

I got excited when i saw this in the ulmarra 2nd hand books.

It was $10, so i figure its hard to come by, but from the bloke wrote 'wake in fright', i wouldve paid $20.

cook makes hemmingway look like the alpha-fuckstick that he was.

And he understands small town australia better than winton,white or woewodin.

In fact, and i dont say this lightly, in this novel cook does coastal nsw like steinbeck does sth california.

On business transacted in pubs, and aussie racism, Cook is unsurpassed.

This is a great novel. Get your library to find it, and read it in a hammock with a chain of stubbies delivered by your youngest son, if you have one.

5 stars.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Easy, here's one for you. Another Patrick DeWitt, Ablutions
Think the Glass Canoe written by Bukowski.

Set in a dodgy hollywood bar, Its Tom Waits without the music.
Whisky, pills, questionable women and no aspirations.

By the way, just a quick vent. Im getting really tired of current Aussie literature, its all written by some writers group in Dayelsford. Theres no aussieness, no characters, everyones nice or a really obvious bad cliche.

If they're evil, at some point they've killed a dog
If they work in a school, yep they'll be a paedophile . But only males, female teachers are always in it for the right reasons
Two mates catch up in a pub, "How are you today Sebastian?". "Im very well and thank you for asking." Sebastian replied as he admired his best friend and wondered if he too was unhappy in his marriage
There's always a reference to the weather by the second paragraph
Psychologists are always crazier than their patients
Immigrant Australians have minor roles and their cooking smells

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Michael said:
Dancing with the Bull, Matthew Simon

Fantastic book about a fictional banker, Luke Glass, who is "let go" to spend more time with his family. Without a job he struggles with his identity and p!sses the family off. He eventually finds another job, only to find it's the same shirt in a different bucket. But will he make the same mistakes?

Very Very Important People, Frank and Honest Conversations, Team Building, Corporate Melancholy, Humour, Break out Areas

Excellent scene where he hears back from a job interview..... "I have great news for you Luke, you came second".....

If you've ever lost a job, read this book

Knock hme over with a feather... Went to my school 40th reunion last Friday and they had a roving Bryan type segment...nd when the Mike guy came up to Matt Simon it was about the book.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
22nd Man said:
Knock hme over with a feather... Went to my school 40th reunion last Friday and they had a roving Bryan type segment...nd when the Mike guy came up to Matt Simon it was about the book.

22 you better buy a copy given that Matt's an old school chum

E

easy_tiger

Kenneth Cook. An australian treasure associated with 'wake in fright'

but oh so much more.

dedicated my year to finding and reading his catalogue.

Tuna - The Film Makers - Slaughter House - Eliza Fraser,

and the post humous published - fear is the rider.

This bloke doesnt miss a beat.

Australian desert drunken mayhem.

he is THE author of this land.

if anyone has/knows where to get a copy of the absurdly obscure 'play little victims'

you wont regret pointing me to it.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Malcolm X - the autobiography of with the assistance of Alex Haley

Anyone who likes a challenging read on the 50’s and 60’s American black rights movements - I have almost finished and am dreading reading the last 80 odd pages as it is so riveting.

E

easy_tiger

Michael said:
By the way, just a quick vent. Im getting really tired of current Aussie literature, its all written by some writers group in Dayelsford. Theres no aussieness, no characters, everyones nice or a really obvious bad cliche.

If they're evil, at some point they've killed a dog
If they work in a school, yep they'll be a paedophile . But only males, female teachers are always in it for the right reasons
Two mates catch up in a pub, "How are you today Sebastian?". "Im very well and thank you for asking." Sebastian replied as he admired his best friend and wondered if he too was unhappy in his marriage
There's always a reference to the weather by the second paragraph
Psychologists are always crazier than their patients
Immigrant Australians have minor roles and their cooking smells

fantastic Mick. I'm on it.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Boy Swallows Univers, Trent Dalton
Quuensland crime set in the 80's amongst a dysfunctional family
Some really good characters and great 80's aussie references
Not bad at all

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Michael said:
Boy Swallows Univers, Trent Dalton
Quuensland crime set in the 80's amongst a dysfunctional family
Some really good characters and great 80's aussie references
Not bad at all

One of the best books I have read in many years. And aside almost anything by Winton, probably the best Aussie story I have read