Boxing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boxing

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, easy to do that now. Does it also come with his share of the winners purse plus interest?
They would have had set guaranteed payments I'd say. Nice to right the wrong, better late than never.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Jeff Fenech finally awarded 4th World Title after decision in bout against Azuma Nelson in Vegas overturned.

Congrats Jeff. Watched that fight, and he was robbed

Yes I watched it to, worst decision ever, blatant cheating.
I remember like it was yesterday, Jeff standing beside Don King in the middle of the ring after the fight and looking up at him, I so much wanting Jeff to lay into him, I reckon he almost did too.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Attending that Fenech-Nelson fight at Princess Park is one the most underrated sporting memories I've got. Was rainy, gloomy, the Africans sporting Nelson were in full voice, tribal drums, chanting, it felt like a football match. I sat 10 rows from the front, due to Dad having connections with Fenech camp and it was well known he had the flu beforehand.

Kosta Tszuy with his first fight on the undercard. Knocked someone out in 30 seconds.

I miss the big fights in Melbourne. I went to the second Haney v Kambosos fight, was a great atmosphere.

Big fight boxing has an atmosphere like no other sporting event.

Reactions: 1 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Attending that Fenech-Nelson fight at Princess Park is one the most underrated sporting memories I've got. Was rainy, gloomy, the Africans sporting Nelson were in full voice, tribal drums, chanting, it felt like a football match. I sat 10 rows from the front, due to Dad having connections with Fenech camp and it was well known he had the flu beforehand.

Kosta Tszuy with his first fight on the undercard. Knocked someone out in 30 seconds.

I miss the big fights in Melbourne. I went to the second Haney v Kambosos fight, was a great atmosphere.

Big fight boxing has an atmosphere like no other sporting event.
I missed Kosta Tszuy’s first fight because I was in the horrendously long beer queue!

• Haha

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Hear it is for you mate.

haha, thanks Scoop! I'll have a look when I've got a spare 30 seconds!

I heard a funny story about this fight at the time. Apparently, Johnny Lewis who was Kostya's trainer, told him to make sure he won the first round.
Then, due to his lack of English language, Kostya thought he had said "make sure you win IN the first round".
Then, blammo!

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I missed Kosta Tszuy’s first fight because I was in the horrendously long beer queue!
I saw the Tszyu fight. It was amazing. As soon as they were released he was all over Hiles. He took a count and was completely monstered. Fight over. My old man couldn’t believe it. Even though Tszyu didn’t know why Lewis had to.d him to win in the first round, he was good enough to do it and also so conditioned by his Soviet training that he never questioned the coach.

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I saw the Tszyu fight. It was amazing. As soon as they were released he was all over Hiles. He took a count and was completely monstered. Fight over. My old man couldn’t believe it. Even though Tszyu didn’t know why Lewis had to.d him to win in the first round, he was good enough to do it and also so conditioned by his Soviet training that he never questioned the coach.
Hahah, mine was the same. Dad and his mates all nodded furiously and agreed the boy was going places.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Tszyu man ................... an absolute imperious boxer a machine.

No nonsense no BS a hard MF.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Poor ol Darrell spent most of the fight or that minute going backwards or getting damaged.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Poor ol Darrell spent most of the fight or that minute going backwards or getting damaged.
I remember seeing it on TV as a primary school kid. As far as I’ve heard since. Darrell was no bunny. A solid, quite skilled boxer. Had fought at the Seoul Olympics

Just came up against someone who would go on to be an all time great and best in the world in his weigh class. Just shows the gulf in class between the pretty good and an imminent star.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Not a boxing aficionado having only ever been to one fight night at RLA, where a massive punch on broke out in the crowd. .... can't even recall who was on the card that night.

Whenever I see Jeff Fenech mentioned it takes me back to a sportsman's nite at Heidelberg Town Hall in 92 when a former 1958 Collingwood premiership player, who was in the audience, got in a bit of a tit for tat with another audience member over a question asked of the jockey Mick Mallyon who was on the panel.

Also on that panel with Jeff and Mick were Sam Newman, Darren Lehmann and Les Stillman, who was Victorian cricket coach.

Anyway, the son of the Collingwood bloke took umbrage to his old man being told to "sit down ya silly old prick" ........from the opposite side of the room where a couple of tables of Port Melbourne fellas were seated.
The son, who could go a bit, launched himself at those tables and thus ensued a fairly vigorous brawl.
At one point the coach of the local team, who himself had been a bit of a boxer, got involved with the odd combination being thrown.

As Newman beat a hasty retreat for the nearest exit, Jeff Fenech jumped down off the stage to intervene as a peacemaker coming between 2 groups with arms outstretched. At no point did Jeff ever look like throwing a punch as a flurry of hay makers went off around him.

Ruined a bloody good night and sadly ended a lot of friendships between a couple of clubs on either side of town.

Jeff was great that night and came across as a really genuine bloke so I'm extremely happy for him.

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Fenech was a fantastic boxer, a champion an Aussie Icon and along with Tszyu the only two champion Aussie boxers over my life to ever keep my attention.

I was a little kid when Lester Ellis hit the scene and missed the golden years of Lionel Rose and Famechon.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
While we’re reminiscing past eras (namely 80s/90s). Had to share this one.

One of the greatest first rounds ever witnessed. Hagler vs Hearns 1985.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I remember seeing it on TV as a primary school kid. As far as I’ve heard since. Darrell was no bunny. A solid, quite skilled boxer. Had fought at the Seoul Olympics

Just came up against someone who would go on to be an all time great and best in the world in his weigh class. Just shows the gulf in class between the pretty good and an imminent star.
Absolutely.

Same goes in all sports and athletic pusuits.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
While we’re reminiscing past eras (namely 80s/90s). Had to share this one.

One of the greatest first rounds ever witnessed. Hagler vs Hearns 1985.

Love it PT.

This is still the best round I’ve ever seen. Reckon I’ve watched it 50 times, still gives me chills.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not a boxing aficionado having only ever been to one fight night at RLA, where a massive punch on broke out in the crowd. .... can't even recall who was on the card that night.

Whenever I see Jeff Fenech mentioned it takes me back to a sportsman's nite at Heidelberg Town Hall in 92 when a former 1958 Collingwood premiership player, who was in the audience, got in a bit of a tit for tat with another audience member over a question asked of the jockey Mick Mallyon who was on the panel.

Also on that panel with Jeff and Mick were Sam Newman, Darren Lehmann and Les Stillman, who was Victorian cricket coach.

Anyway, the son of the Collingwood bloke took umbrage to his old man being told to "sit down ya silly old prick" ........from the opposite side of the room where a couple of tables of Port Melbourne fellas were seated.
The son, who could go a bit, launched himself at those tables and thus ensued a fairly vigorous brawl.
At one point the coach of the local team, who himself had been a bit of a boxer, got involved with the odd combination being thrown.

As Newman beat a hasty retreat for the nearest exit, Jeff Fenech jumped down off the stage to intervene as a peacemaker coming between 2 groups with arms outstretched. At no point did Jeff ever look like throwing a punch as a flurry of hay makers went off around him.

Ruined a bloody good night and sadly ended a lot of friendships between a couple of clubs on either side of town.

Jeff was great that night and came across as a really genuine bloke so I'm extremely happy for him.
I’ve heard this story but never heard what local footy clubs were involved.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Love it PT.

This is still the best round I’ve ever seen. Reckon I’ve watched it 50 times, still gives me chills.

Ah yes, have seen that one before too. Sensational. I suppose a bit different in dynamic and context, given that it was a slugfest taking place in the 9th rather than the 1st round. Equally great to watch, just different stages of a fight.

The thing I loved about Hagler vs Hearns. It was just such a deep field at the top levels of middleweights at that time. Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran, Benitez. Magnificent all time greats all crossing paths at their peak (or close to their peak) in the 1980s. Didn't dodge anyone to protect their perfect records. Would challenge each other, to prove who was the best. Hearns was of the standard that he deserved to go the distance with Hagler. But felt his best chance was to go toe to toe with Hagler and the best man survives. Hagler survived some massive shots from Hearns and the fight only went into into the 3rd round with Hagler winning by knockout.

To give context to how willing these guys were to fight anyone, anywhere. Their careers finished as follows:

Marvellous Marvin Hagler: 67 fights for 62 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws (52 wins by KO)

Tommy Hitman Hearns: 67 fights for 61 wins, 5 losses and 1 draw (48 wins by KO)

An astounding number of fights and wins (and KO wins). The losses reflecting their courage to not dodge anyone and fight the absolute elite to prove they belonged there too. Hagler undisputed middleweight champion from 1980-1987. Hearns winning world title belts in five weight divisions over his career.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
A bit different to Floyd fighting the likes of an MMA fighter/Kickboxer/Youtube personality/Sparring Partner/MMA Youtuber/MMA Youtubers brother

Shows you the influence marketing has had on the sport (I suppose on sport in general). "Entertainment" comes first.

I have never nor would ever watch any of these bouts, I wonder what the motivation for the live and online crowd is with these events?

Watching sport for me has always been about the elite, no matter what sport that is. I currently love watching the Darts - in particular MVG/Price/Wright & Snooker - O'Sullivan/Trump/Robertson are great to watch. I just cannot stand watching exhibition rubbish where nothing is on the line.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Jeff Fenech finally awarded 4th World Title after decision in bout against Azuma Nelson in Vegas overturned.

Congrats Jeff. Watched that fight, and he was robbed

Unpopular post time.

While I'm very glad for Fenech, my question would be how did they come to this decision? Was it re-scored retrospectively? And by whom? And why now?

And does every controversial boxing outcome now get reviewed and titles change hands? Boxing is littered with controversial decisions. According to some, the Whitaker-Julio Chaves fight was an even bigger disgrace.

And Nelson would have every right to be furious and bewildered at this decision, regardless of whom should have won. This is on the judges at the time, not on Nelson.