Boxing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boxing

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bloody hell.
Young Tim Tszyu just belted the snot out of that Harrison bloke this arvo n there's nothing in the boxing thread since Nov last year. Personally just pretty much a casual fan of the old manly art ( now also feminine art ) of two in the ring beating the snot out of one another. I would've thought there might be a mention or two regarding his effort.
Young bloke might not yet be quite up to the standard of his old man's elite status, but he's definitely doing bloody well for himself. Keeps stepping up against pretty much whoever wants to have a crack n keeps right on winning.
Pity that Charlo bloke busted his hand n Tim's fight against him got cancelled, but hopefully they get to go toe to toe in July. Should be one hell of a contest.

Reactions: 2 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I liked this quote from Tim's younger brother Nikita who fought on the under-card.

“If I had lost the first fight, that would have been a horrible headspace for Tim,” Nikita said. “I knew there was no other way besides victory for this. That stayed in my mind the whole time.”

None of that new age 'just enjoy the journey' BS-he saw no other option other than winning.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Those three upper cuts in a row would have knocked out an elephant. It was a devastating display in the 9th

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ref should have stopped it after the third uppercut, Baloo. Harrison was out on his feet.
Tszyu is the real deal, got the power right and left hook to the body the same as the old man. Like his old man he eats a few jabs but he's prepared to to get in range.
Charlo should be a hell of a fight, he's damn good.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Charlo's gunna be just gone 33 when he fights Tim n perhaps just past his peak while Tim's 28 n smack bang in his peak years. Seems Charlo has been fighting just once a year the last few years while Tim's been fighting way more regularly, hopefully just enough to give a slight edge in his favour.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Charlo's gunna be just gone 33 when he fights Tim n perhaps just past his peak while Tim's 28 n smack bang in his peak years. Seems Charlo has been fighting just once a year the last few years while Tim's been fighting way more regularly, hopefully just enough to give a slight edge in his favour.
Will Charlo even ever fight Tszyu when he watches today’s result? I’m skeptical he ever will.

Tim absolutely destroyed a genuine world class fighter (Carlos Ocampo), brutally within the first round. This was a massive gamble on paper, Tim taking this fight against a highly rated fighter, that he didn’t need to fight. But didn’t look like a gamble at all in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Got Papa's brutal straight right and killer left hook. Jr's very very good.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Will Charlo even ever fight Tszyu when he watches today’s result? I’m skeptical he ever will.
That last effort of Tim's would frighten the *smile* out of anyone in that weight division. Might be a smart move if Charlo hands the belts back to the various boxing authorities n changes weight categories before Tim catches up to him.

Funny as *smile* when the young Tszyu said that he got all excited, forgot to box n just walked through a couple of good ones to get stuck into Ocampo.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Does this mean Charlo is vacating?

Fighting up a weight class to challenge Canelo Alvarez for his belts.
Wrong Charlo. Tszyu will fight Jermell, Jermall's identical twin.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I should have read it closer. One letter difference. What were their parents thinking? Couldn't think of two different names, so just changed one letter.

Reminds me of Muriel Heslop vs Mariel Heslop in the movie, Muriel's Wedding!

• Haha

Jukes Extended 2.0

Tiger Cub
Jan 28, 2023
Not anymore! Jermell is fighting Canelo now, ppl might say he is ducking but this will be the biggest payday of his career, anyone would be stupid not to take this.
He should lose his belts tho.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Not anymore! Jermell is fighting Canelo now, ppl might say he is ducking but this will be the biggest payday of his career, anyone would be stupid not to take this.
He should lose his belts tho.
Will cop a hiding. Perhaps a similar result to when the very talented Amir Khan stepped up a weight class to face Canelo.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Will cop a hiding. Perhaps a similar result to when the very talented Amir Khan stepped up a weight class to face Canelo.

That Khan bloke playing with quick hands but that Alvarez bloke was fudging things, he was playing with clubs.

Charlo should be made to hand the belts back to the various organisations so they can be put up for the contenders to fight for. Might be a big fat pay day coming up for Charlo, but it could be a career finishing one. 33 years old, hasn't fought for over a year n a half and stepping up in weight. Smells like a grab the money and run event coming up.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
That Khan bloke playing with quick hands but that Alvarez bloke was fudging things, he was playing with clubs.

Charlo should be made to hand the belts back to the various organisations so they can be put up for the contenders to fight for. Might be a big fat pay day coming up for Charlo, but it could be a career finishing one. 33 years old, hasn't fought for over a year n a half and stepping up in weight. Smells like a grab the money and run event coming up.
May well cop a hiding and be sent into retirement. Albeit with a massive exit payment from the sport.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
May well cop a hiding and be sent into retirement. Albeit with a massive exit payment from the sport.
Most of them need a massive final payout so they can allow their entourage to maintain the life styles they have grown accustomed to. So many ex fighters n muso's etc seemingly can't exist without having thirty or forty enablers helping them to live every second of their best life.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Most of them need a massive final payout so they can allow their entourage to maintain the life styles they have grown accustomed to. So many ex fighters n muso's etc seemingly can't exist without having thirty or forty enablers helping them to live every second of their best life.

Goes right through the boxing doesn’t it. Even right down to local names, trying to imitate the entourage that global stars of the sport have.

Reminds me of this matchup a decade or so ago. Ahmed Elomar having his entourage of grubs that were the epitome of Western Sydney, Aussie-Leb wannabe gangbanger, f…whit subculture.

Always had a lot of respect for the likes of Marvin Hagler or Kostya Tszyu types who never engaged in such crap and were the quintessential professionals.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
good fight!! Khan great speed and skills but that counted for little after taking Canelo's body shots.
Yeah, Khan no doubt an extremely classy, skilled opponent. But probably just didn’t have a heavy enough punch himself, to inflict the damage Alvarez could.