Boxing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boxing

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I'm no great fight fan, but the Green-Briggs fight tonight has to go down as one of the greatest hoaxes ever perpetrated in Australia. Better than Fine Cotton.

Briggs 'knocked out' in 10 seconds by a punch that hardly hit him. Must have been the sudden change in air pressure as Green's punch went past his head.

Not hard to see why the authorities in NSW refused to licence the fight in that state.

michael roach

Tiger Superstar
Oct 6, 2009
What a low life goose is Briggs.
First he agrees to fight Green at 84kgs but turns up 3 kgs overweight at the weigh in and then takes the biggest dive in the history of boxing.
If you are going to take a dive in a fight just to get a pay check then at least wait until you actually get hit!

This would have to be one of the most disgraceful acts ever by an Australian sportsmen.

Danny Green is fuming at what Briggs has just done and has said Briggs isn`t getting paid a cent.

Geez Briggs has fallen a long way,3 years ago he was a machine and fighting for world titles,today he is a disgrace to his sport.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Stand by on this, Dr Turf came on SEN this morning and said there is a strong possibility this was fixed because there were a lot of bets on a first round knockout. Then a guy from Centrebet came on and basically said the fight was fixed as well and that Centrebet and other bookmakers were the subject of a co-ordinated betting plunge on a first round knockout which originated from WA. He said they held $1m on a first round knockout whereas normally for that betting type the maximum they hold is $20k

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
After catching this thread I thought I would have a look at the video of the 'fight'... how many times can you watch a fight's video in under a minute?

Wow! was the first thing that popped to mind. Have to think it will be hard for the boxing world, in Australia, to bounce back from that farce in too much of a hurry.

Uncle

" Black ops?"
Apr 24, 2009
IanG said:
Stand by on this, Dr Turf came on SEN this morning and said there is a strong possibility this was fixed because there were a lot of bets on a first round knockout. Then a guy from Centrebet came on and basically said the fight was fixed as well and that Centrebet and other bookmakers were the subject of a co-ordinated betting plunge on a first round knockout which originated from WA. He said they held $1m on a first round knockout whereas normally for that betting type the maximum they hold is $20k
Absolutely no question Briggs dived therefore was involved in the fix, the question is was the Green machine's corner involved in the fix?

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
love boxing, but rubbish like this destroys the sport
lt was a farce last night,its time Green & Mundine started fighting boxers instead of washed up hacks.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
mb64 said:
lt was a farce last night,its time Green & Mundine started fighting boxers instead of washed up hacks.

have to admit, my eyebrows were raised yesterday when he rocked up 3kg overweight, and more so when Green still wanted to fight him

you only give away a weight advantage like that - with no notice - if you know the guy you are fighting is a joke

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
have to admit, my eyebrows were raised yesterday when he rocked up 3kg overweight, and more so when Green still wanted to fight him

you only give away a weight advantage like that - with no notice - if you know the guy you are fighting is a joke
Exactly,the sport was damaged severely

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/22/2961396.htm?site=sport&section=all

Now Green has come out and stated that Briggs was legitimately hurt and there was nothing wrong with it. ::)

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Barnzy said:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/22/2961396.htm?site=sport&section=all

Now Green has come out and stated that Briggs was legitimately hurt and there was nothing wrong with it. ::)
Think Green has lost a few brain cells also

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Barnzy said:

Comedy capers. I wonder what caused the change of tune?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
There was a lot of money that went on a few hours before the fight for Green to win by ko in the first round.
There is going to be an enquiry into it.
I don't know what to make of Danny changing his version of what happened.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Amazed at the lack of criticism of Green in the media & boxing circles.

NSW wouldnt even sanction the fight. Briggs hadnt even stepped in the ring in 3 years. Then wonders why this happens ha ha.

Green's rep should get the canning it deserves ILO.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Leysy Days said:
Amazed at the lack of criticism of Green in the media & boxing circles.

NSW wouldnt even sanction the fight. Briggs hadnt even stepped in the ring in 3 years. Then wonders why this happens ha ha.

Green's rep should get the canning it deserves ILO.

It is the biggest shambles in sport, this is no different to the Storm Salary Cap cheating.

A good journo could write a ripping piece on this. Someone needs to blow the lid of this. The knockout in the first round moved from $7.50 in the middle of the day to $2.40 by fight time. The fix was in, no doubt. Maybe Briggs made $250k from the fight and another $500k on the side.

Danny Green has slammed Choc Mundine for fighting bums and nobodies but then he comes along and expects Joe Public to take Paul Briggs as a serious threat. Boxing NSW wouldn't even saction the fight, from reports Briggs couldn't remember what gym he was in after training and couldn't find his car in the car park. It was a disgrace from the start. This fight also raises further questions about the Roy Jones fight. That didn't sit right with me at the time and feels even worse right now. And as for the Green rant in the ring after the fight, that was staged to the hilt. Put the fire out in the crowd and then the next day till them that it was all legit.

Green Machine Promotions still kept the gate money and would get a cut from the TV sales, no mention has been made of giving any of that back. Green gets paid I reckon, $600k plus for the fight and his company makes more then a mill from the promotion.

Cannot believe that no one in the media is taking this on. Hopefully this joker take it on and does something;

The President of the IBO, Ed Levine has demanded a complete and thorough investigation of this fight by all authorities in Australia to get those answers. “Boxing can not stand another black eye” said Levine. “We need and expect answers to some very serious allegations concerning the questionable ending of this fight”..

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Tigers of Old said:
Where does that sort of money come from??
Geez if I'd paid anything towards it I'd be looking for my money back.

I don't have Foxtel, but a girl at work reckons a friend of hers paid $50 to watch the fight pay per view.

Not sure if true, but gee I'd be dark if I had paid that.