Boxing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boxing

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Both lack real knock out power. Very good chance the fight goes 8 plus rounds.

Geale started with a flurry of knockouts against bums but has struggled to KO any one over the last three years. Having said that he is a accumulator fighter, gets in and goes tap,tap,tap,tap and gets out. All scoring punches but no power. Mundine isn't too much different but doesn't have a tough jaw.

It will be a lot closer than most think.

Kimbo Slice on the undercard too.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Mundine is a legend in his own lunchbox but he sure knows how to drive interest towards a mediocre boxing bout.

There have been a gazillion mediocre bouts involving Mundine but this aint one of them.

But yes he definately knows he to create interest. Unlike most leysy doesnt mind Choc as he realises its all a show, but definately hopes the modest lad from Tassie continues on his winning path tonight.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Good summations by kiwi and Scoop and agree with Leysy that Choc's all bark and no bite - all reports are he's actually a top fella.

This is it for Mundine - lose and he might as well retire. I think he'll give it an almighty shake. He's the more talented boxer in my eyes and his pride will ensure he leaves nothing in the ring tonight. Interesting reading about his diet guru and how they reckon he hasn't had to waste to make the weight. He might have more power than we're used to seeing him with at this weight. (Bear in mind he's gone from an 86kg footballer to a 72kg boxer when dissing his power.)

I predict they'll be slugging it out toe-to-toe when the last bell rings.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
I want to see Mundine doing the Peter Garrett's in the horizontal position.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
SCOOP said:
Both lack real knock out power. Very good chance the fight goes 8 plus rounds.

Geale started with a flurry of knockouts against bums but has struggled to KO any one over the last three years. Having said that he is a accumulator fighter, gets in and goes tap,tap,tap,tap and gets out. All scoring punches but no power. Mundine isn't too much different but doesn't have a tough jaw.

It will be a lot closer than most think.

Kimbo Slice on the undercard too.

I reckon Mundine at his best hit with a lot more power than Ive ever seen from Geale...... but that was mostly at super middle , and more importantly , some time ago.

That right hand he dropped Soliman with in rd 2 was a peach . Sam had never been knocked out before, never agai, a tough cookie Sam, went 12 rounds with Winky Wright as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aG8nCYaR4

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
kiwitiger said:
I reckon Mundine at his best hit with a lot more power than Ive ever seen from Geale...... but that was mostly at super middle , and more importantly , some time ago.

That right hand he dropped Soliman with in rd 2 was a peach . Sam had never been knocked out before, never agai, a tough cookie Sam, went 12 rounds with Winky Wright as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aG8nCYaR4

Agree, Mundine did have that power to start with but he has slipped. And the best Mundine has ever looked is in the fight he lost in Germany versus Ottke.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
SCOOP said:
Agree, Mundine did have that power to start with but he has slipped. And the best Mundine has ever looked is in the fight he lost in Germany versus Ottke.

The thing that was remarkable about that, without looking it up the stats exactly , it was about his 10th ever fight, ever, no amateur background ,and he was winning on points before walking into a big one,

I thought he was at his peak around the time after he beat Green ,

I remember he was ranked 3rd overall as a super middle behind behind Calzaghe and Kessler,should have gone on to better things, and he went on the easy route of making good money on pay per view against lesser names

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
kiwitiger said:
The thing that was remarkable about that, without looking it up the stats exactly , it was about his 10th ever fight, ever, no amateur background ,and he was winning on points before walking into a big one,

I thought he was at his peak around the time after he beat Green ,

I remember he was ranked 3rd overall as a super middle behind behind Calzaghe and Kessler,should have gone on to better things, and he went on the easy route of making good money on pay per view against lesser names

And looked it. He wasn't out of place. At the stage I was convinced he was going to go on and have some big fights on the world stage. His jab, which he still has was so qucik and had some real sting to it back then. It was a weapon. The jab could really sting and set up the bigger punches.

On Geale, IMO he doesn't have many fights left in him if he keeps going the distance. Needs to get some quick wins.

If Choc loses, it's all over. But he has presented himself in outstanding condition. Never seen him look better.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
trying to hunt it down online. It starts in 45 minutes, is that right?