Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

In the Blood

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 22, 2007
Re: Welcome Brandon Ellis

Yeah, not sure about this pick. Obviously we need to assume that FJ and team know what they are doing. Does seem strange to pick up a medium defender when we seem to be pretty flush with those ATM. Surely between Newman, Batchelor, Houli, Dea, Connors, Morris and Delidio we have the three positions covered. Looks like we are releasing Deledio, Houli and Newman into the midfield.

I do like the look of Arnot at pick 55 and don't mind Elton at pick 26 as a developing ruck forward.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

looks real tough with great kicking skills. could he play as inside mid role? maybe that's the overall thinking.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

Harry said:
looks real tough with great kicking skills. could he play as inside mid role? maybe that's the overall thinking.

FJ in an article in the Hun just stated that he may play midfield down the track.

SAF

Tiger Superstar
Nov 23, 2007
Internet

The Ellis highlights on RFC website look pretty good, it wouldn't surprise me if he was capable of rotating through the midfield and won't be just a HBF. Interesting that Sheehan described him as "an absolute star" on the Foxtel coverage. Seems like a solid pick up at 15 in the weakest draft ever, we were never going to get another Dustin Martin at this pick.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Happy we got a defender, but wouldn't have been better if was he was 190+

Gazza68

The sleeping giant is waking from his slumber
Oct 23, 2004

Very neat & penetrating kick going by the Tiger's video highlights. Also like the fact he looks at ease off the left foot. Actually pretty happy with what the video shows & other articles I've read on him. Welcome to the Tiger's Brandon.

RfC77

Ju-87 : The original TANK buster
Jun 23, 2004
Narre Warren

Does anyone know if he is related to Lester Ellis (boxer) as Lester is a Tigers man!

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

Best available at our pick IMO. Happy enough to grab a core player who looks destined to play immediately. Pity we didn't get the mid but that's life. On that note I was staggered at how many inside mids GWS loaded up on, surely they won't be able to play them all. Best available strategy is fine when you have a few holes to plug but their lack of tall timber will come back to haunt them. They'll also lose some players who simply aren't getting a run. All in all, a very short sighted approach.

NZtiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2008
Wellington

All those people complaining about the Jacksons et al of the side should think of Brandon as a long-term replacement. Strong-bodied, skilled and sound decision making are all aspects that people cry out for! Already has the endurance to play mid, and the club have him earmarked as one.
Our side will only become great with strong depth. That will only occur once players with questionable skills/decision-making are upgraded.
He will not be just a half-back flanker.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Ellis only started playing off half back when he started at the Calder Cannons. Previously he has mainly played in the midfield with stints up forward.

I see him as an inside mid in the long term.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

Looking at him he should be ready for round one. If he loses a bit of puppy fat he is going to be a real tank. Good kick on both feet as well which is a major plus.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005

tigertrue said:
Selwoodesque
NZtiger said:
All those people complaining about the Jacksons et al of the side should think of Brandon as a long-term replacement.

That were my two thoughts when I thought about it lasrt night
1. Francis finally drafted Scot Selwood
2. Ellis may replace Jackson in a few years when he builds his tank

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004

He also managed to kick a few goals, especially in his first couple of games. Seems we have someone with great flexibility in where you can play him. I ilike that he is a strong build and a fierce player. These are the sort of guys we've lacked in the past. Also looks like a mature brain, he has already been through a bit with his dad fighting cancer. With Docherty and Adams gone, I think we've probably made a good decision. No guarantees of course but he has to be a good chance of making it.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

Some of his kick outs in the video look like they went 60+ meters and hit targets and those long goals looked good too.

The lack of pace off the mark is a bit of a concern but maybe this can be improved with sprint training.

Doubt he'll be a star but should find his way into the team from round 1 and be a very solid citizen.