Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

pinomunno

Tiger Cub
Mar 17, 2014
Im pretty sure it goes back to when he signed his last contract. He would of been in the top 10 earners then i gather, no Lynch,Pestia,Caddy,Nank. Lambert,Grimes,Vlaus,Rioli,Astbury all signed on after.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
RESTRICTED FREE AGENT
These players are in the top 25% of salaries at their club and have served a minimum of eight years at the club. It means they’re eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract.
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT
These players are not in the top 25% of salaries at their club but have served at least eight years. That’s what makes them eligible for unrestricted free agency. And players on the primary list of their club who are delisted are classed as unrestricted free agents too, but a player who retires or delists themself isn’t. Got it?

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
RESTRICTED FREE AGENT
These players are in the top 25% of salaries at their club and have served a minimum of eight years at the club. It means they’re eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract.
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT
These players are not in the top 25% of salaries at their club but have served at least eight years. That’s what makes them eligible for unrestricted free agency. And players on the primary list of their club who are delisted are classed as unrestricted free agents too, but a player who retires or delists themself isn’t. Got it?

Top 25% not 10 % , so in top 11 paid players
Not sure how that works , averaged over the length of contract or year by year, maybe Brando's contract is heavily back ended

Reactions: 1 user

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
RESTRICTED FREE AGENT
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT
That's a bit more like it. Puts him in the top 11 earners t the club. Of my list (above) perhaps he earns more than Lambert and Caddy?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Top 25% not 10 % , so in top 11 paid players

sorry, my bad. in my head i was thinking "top 10 paid" players, but i actually typed "top 10% paid." Eilis is not a top 10 player. I would rank him somewhere between 16-25. if every single player was fit and firing, I would struggle to find him a spot in our starting 18. I also believe he is very replaceable and we would be derelict in our duties if we offered overs just to keep him.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Heavily back ended contract would get him to the top 10%

Given Lynch is on similar it could be that we are paying Ellis more than Lynch for 2019!

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Bobby seems to draw clear reactions one way or the other. To me the Ralph article sums it up. He is not going to get the coin at Richmond he can get elsewhere. The more important issue IMO is he is marginal best 22 in 2019 but will he be there in 2020. I suspect the RFC offer would be 2 years and again he would do better elsewhere. If he is not best 22 in 2020 and he wants good money he has to jump.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
We will get more value if he leaves.

I feel we have young players to cover a role similar to him.

An extra 2nd rounder will be great for us.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Let him leave.
Rather have the extra cash to chase Crouch.
Friday's nights game didnt enhance his reputation.
He was rubbish

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
About to turn 26yo is Ellis. We've seen what he can do. In good form he's a valuable top 22. In bad form he is a massive liability. I wouldn't be paying overs to keep him. This would be a perfect example of getting maximum value out of letting him go at the right time. The list of free agents aren't great this year and Ellis has skills that other teams would require right now and he's played some reasonable footy this year. So they'll pay good coin and we benefit from that in the form of a valuable draft pick assuming we can't work a trade.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
It will be sad to see a premiership player go but should be a win win. He'll play his 100 at Blues or North. We free up salary space and slip in Pickett or Naish to play his role.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I've got a feeling he will stay on lower coin. I reckon he loves the club that much that he would rather be here on lower money with no guarantee of a game than at #lolnorf. This will be a good guide as to how strong a culture we have developed if we have blokes wanting to stay within it at any cost

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I've got a feeling he will stay on lower coin. I reckon he loves the club that much that he would rather be here on lower money with no guarantee of a game than at #lolnorf. This will be a good guide as to how strong a culture we have developed if we have blokes wanting to stay within it at any cost

Probably wouldn't have put contract negotiations on hold if that was his sole preference. Could be just trying to play the bluff but I think the Tigers have probably already advised him what they're willing to offer. Apparently 3 teams so far have mentioned potential interest in his services.

Last edited:

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I reckon if he gets dropped pre finals or during. .... he's gone. I wouldn't begrudge him chasing a quid and the fact that he's top 10ish at the club now probably means it's a motivating factor.

As they say in business...... if you can't work out what's gonna happen next..... follow the money!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We have replacements in naish pickett menadue and possibly turner.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Will be an even better statement on how unnatractive lolNorf are, especially for a kid that loved the Kangas growing up.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We have replacements in naish pickett menadue and possibly turner.

Yep, but I don't think its a given that he will actually leave hes a loyal kid and popular.

The Club will decide for him I reckon, especially if they already have a target in mind that they need his extra cash for.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not to fussed if Brando goes or stays, we've got the players to cover for him n I doubt we'd have anywhere near enough cap room to match the $500K for four years being speculated.

Was just thinking that It'd be nice if Brando could have a very good finals series n help us win another flag. Would elevate his worth a bit as a dual premiership player. He could leave happy that he's got two dingly dangly's with us n a fat pay cheque with his new club n we'd also get better value as a compo pick.
Would think in all fairness that at 26 y.o. and in his prime if the offers are around $500K per year he'd be worth a late or end of first round pick, it's not like he's a tired n worn out old crock grubbing up a fat two year pension fund.

Reactions: 1 users