Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Re: Welcome Brandon Ellis

hopefully will release jackson to the midfield......at coburg

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004

Harry said:

lol, could be a lot of releasing going on next year, even more than here on PRE.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009

He's going to be a midfielder, as will Arnot and McCarthy once we get him. Midfield starting to look pretty good for the future.

MOTiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 10, 2010
Brunswick

Could be the long term replacement of newman in the backline? Newman only has 2-3 years left in him so we need a ready replacement when he does retire Ellis could be that, untill then just rotate him as a mid/halfback.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Well, I have been on the bandwagon all year. Can't jump off now. I would have made the same call. Elliot Kavanagh has a higher ceiling as a footballer but has much more risk attached. Ellis is a very safe bet to be a Core group footballer. Will have a impact in 2012.

SAF

Tiger Superstar
Nov 23, 2007
Internet

Harry said:

The pick up of Conca, Houli and Grigg last year and now Ellis, Arnott and Morris this year should be the end of both Jackson and Tuck in the senior team, probably means that Connors won't get a look in either.

Hopefully next year we'll see Cotch, Martin, Lids and Foley as the top line ball winning attacking mids and several of these other 6 rotating through the midfield in the defensive tagger role as well as off half back. I'd expect to see Newman, Houli and Batchelor as the main stay small defenders with Lids, Conca, Ellis, Grigg and Morris all given time off half back next year. In the long term I'd be hoping that both Conca and Ellis develop into solid B grade mids capable of getting off the leash now and again because Cotch, Martin and Lids demand all the attention of opposition taggers. The very best teams have always had 2/3 midfield stars with 2/3 very solid B graders (often boaderline A graders) - this becomes too many good players to cover and every week there is 1 or 2 mids that star. Seems to me that we might be getting close to this situation over the next 2/3 years.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006

A big WELCOME to Punt Road Brandon. I look forward to seeing you develop into a great player for the club!

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009

SCOOP said:
Well, I have been on the bandwagon all year. Can't jump off now. I would have made the same call. Elliot Kavanagh has a higher ceiling as a footballer but has much more risk attached. Ellis is a very safe bet to be a Core group footballer. Will have a impact in 2012.

Elliot Kavanagh is an interesting one.

Maybe his hamstrings are as bad as Heppell's groins.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003

SCOOP said:

Glad you like him. You're usually a pretty good judge.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Barnzy said:

Essendon engineered the situation perfectly. Between the inside info from Ken Fletcher, the spreading of "the hamstrings are shot we are not interested" rumour that did the rounds last week, the dad doing his best Damir Dokic to keep his son in Melbourne the Bombers did everything they could to make sure he was on the board at 19. They are becoming the masters of draft day and getting the player they want.

evo said:
Glad you like him. You're usually a pretty good judge.

Gulp. That means I'm due for a fosberry flop!!! The odds of Lester being a complete flop are very low. At his best, I think he can be a top 10 player in a top 6 team.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004

Barnzy said:

I think Heppel was more clear cut than Kavanagh. He did go at #8. The issue I see with Kavanagh in the highlights is that it is plainly obvious he does not have a left foot at all. This is a big disadvantage especially in the midfield. I prefer Ellis, much cleaner on foot and a bigger stronger build.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland

Harry said:
looks real tough with great kicking skills. could he play as inside mid role? maybe that's the overall thinking.
Maybe a longer term replacement for Tuck?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

SCOOP said:
Essendon engineered the situation perfectly. Between the inside info from Ken Fletcher, the spreading of "the hamstrings are shot we are not interested" rumour that did the rounds last week, the dad doing his best Damir Dokic to keep his son in Melbourne the Bombers did everything they could to make sure he was on the board at 19. They are becoming the masters of draft day and getting the player they want.

Perhaps another little bit of Thompsons influence at bummerland. They picked a fair few kids from around the Geelong district at the start of Thompsons era. Apart from F/S they figured if the talent was similar it would be easier working with the local talent then dragging in kids from all over the place. Bummers suddenly desperate to draft supposedly injury prone sliders that barrack for Esserdum.

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005

SCOOP said:

Gulp. That means I'm due for a fosberry flop!!! The odds of Lester being a complete flop are very low. At his best, I think he can be a top 10 player in a top 6 team.

The kid has torn his hamstring off the bone which is a really serious injury. Clubs would get the best medical advice on the situation rather than listen to silly internet rumours.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

Smoking Aces said:
Ellis only started playing off half back when he started at the Calder Cannons. Previously he has mainly played in the midfield with stints up forward.

I see him as an inside mid in the long term.

My main concern with that proposition is his lack of burst in the first three steps, he takes a while to get the pistons moving which may hamper his long term midfield aspirations.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

bullus_hit said:
My main concern with that proposition is his lack of burst in the first three steps, he takes a while to get the pistons moving which may hamper his long term midfield aspirations.
Not if he is predominately playing as an inside role.

He would be no slower than a Jordan Lewis or Sam Mitchell.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006

Smoking Aces said:
Not if he is predominately playing as an inside role.

He would be no slower than a Jordan Lewis or Sam Mitchell.

Possibly but from the naked eye, Lewis and Mitchell have decent acceleration. Ellis recorded some pretty poor 5m sprint times, in fact they were lumbering ruckman slow. That's not to say we can't get a sprint coach in to work on these things, a guy like Ziebell has gone from plodder to accomplished inside mid so there's definitely room for improvement. The other factor in the slow times could simply be a poor reaction time, I guess we'll find out when he hits the big stage.

Danog

Tiger Superstar
Jun 7, 2008
Melbourne

SCOOP said:

Except when it comes to getting Helbig.