Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Clubs work more than 12 months in advance. If releasing Brandon allowed the salary cap space to bring Lynch in then not too many would argue with that
Really liked Lynch shot on goal the other night .‍♂️

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
While I appreciate there is debate over Ellis leaving as there should be, I have to say if they thought Graham would be a winger, well, I just can't see it. Not quick enough, his strengths are not those of a winger.

DS
Agreed. I’m perplexed that we’re not trying Naish, McIntosh or even Balta on the wing. Graham isn’t a winger in any capacity, especially hard running.

Reactions: 2 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Agreed. I’m perplexed that we’re not trying Naish, McIntosh or even Balta on the wing. Graham isn’t a winger in any capacity, especially hard running.

We have the perfect Bellis replacement in Turner. Can get plenty of the footy. Give him a go

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
You can't keep everyone. Think about our trades in and out over the past three years, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Spot on - this talk seems based on very selective short term hindsight
Brando leaving was celebrated by his many detractors and justified by his supporters as a win win move for himself and the club
It gave - and still gives - an opportunity to blood a young bloke who might become a long term player

Reactions: 3 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
The other part of the equation was rance's sudden retirement in December. If this had been flagged in august, brando could have easily been accommodated.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yes I'd like to see Balta play on the wing, Disco Roach started his career on the wing.

Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
The other part of the equation was rance's sudden retirement in December. If this had been flagged in august, brando could have easily been accommodated.

Good point. Maybe this is the reason the boys were so pissed with Rance. Bellis was a popular clubman and they lost him and Rance when they didn't need to

Reactions: 5 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
One for the game strategy pundits.

Why are so many gut-running wingers moving clubs? Are they not valued perhaps as fairly as they should be?

Tomlinson
Aish
Langdon
Ellis
Hill
Henderson
Scully
Crozier
Menegola
Newnes
Jetta
Hoskin-Elliot
Seedsman
Polec
Cutler

Would there be another type of player turned over as much as the running link man?

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Liked Brando and as an endurance beast was important to us. Irreplaceable? Nah. We just need to find a different angle with that position.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
For clarity, Brandon was a RESTRICTED Free Agent, meaning we would have to match or better GCS offer in terms of $$ and period.

We chose not to match

Reactions: 5 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Liked Brando and as an endurance beast was important to us. Irreplaceable? Nah. We just need to find a different angle with that position.
How about Short, Baron? Does he have the tank? As far as kicking goes, he's the ideal winger. It seems a no-brainer to have him charging forward and potting goals from 40-50 metres out – he's proven he can do it.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
How about Short, Baron? Does he have the tank? As far as kicking goes, he's the ideal winger. It seems a no-brainer to have him charging forward and potting goals from 40-50 metres out – he's proven he can do it.
Short's bombing kicks are just that - bombs to nowhere in particular. He and the team must be under instruction to give it to him whenever possible and launch it long but it's not really working this year.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Perhaps the problem with Short as a winger is his 1on1 contests. The other team would switch to the open wing all day long with Short vs any oppo winger.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

not sure we want Short running two ways, Celebrant.

bit like Houli. straight line players.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Excellent post.

For clarity, Brandon was a RESTRICTED Free Agent, meaning we would have to match or better GCS offer in terms of $$ and period.

We chose not to match

Good point Taz.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Brando's game was essential to our ability to run over teams in the second half.

Like him or not, he could be hard to replace. Elite endurance runners with genuine speed are worth their weight in gold . When you play the chaos game you need lots of pressure with runners taking and making space when the average runners slow down. I noticed the Gold Coast team playing elements of our chaos forward of the ball running patterns on the weekend.