Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
What I don't get is why he's playing so timid now. A few weeks ago he went the hardest I'd seen him. Went for everything, contested ball the works, I thought maybe he's come of age. And then he goes and reverts to this rubbish. He's playing scared. You cant play scared 8n AFL footy.
That’s a summary of Bobble’s career.
He was good in the 2017 finals so I’d trust him to lift if he’s playing in September.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Regarding the Tigerlove post above: "He's playing scared". It doesn't take any courage at all to write a weak comment like that. I bet any money that you would not say that to his face. That is just a cheap shot to try to sound really authoritative and be really insulting. It is probably the most insulting thing that someone could ever say about an AFL player. Brandon Ellis does NOT lack courage. No player in the AFL lacks courage. Every AFL player risks serious injury and puts their body on the line every time they run out on the field. Brandon Ellis has done nothing to you personally. Don't make it so personal/vitriolic.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Regarding the Tigerlove post above: "He's playing scared". It doesn't take any courage at all to write a weak comment like that. I bet any money that you would not say that to his face. That is just a cheap shot to try to sound really authoritative and be really insulting. It is probably the most insulting thing that someone could ever say about an AFL player. Brandon Ellis does NOT lack courage. No player in the AFL lacks courage. Every AFL player risks serious injury and puts their body on the line every time they run out on the field. Brandon Ellis has done nothing to you personally. Don't make it so personal/vitriolic.

Yeah I would say it to his face but in a nice way and in context, not the way you've interpreted it. How much would you like to bet? That is the way it looks, he looks like he is always expecting a hit and shying away from it when, for example, marking which affects his judgement and the result. I use the term 'scared' in that way, not that he's scared to be out there playing footy. I don't disagree with what you say. You do have to be very courageous to play AFL footy. You can be courageous and scared at the same time, in fact what's more courageous than doing something despite being scared?

I really don't understand your intense attacks on people here. Your posting style is immensely aggressive. Maybe tone it down. I'm not making anything personal with Ellis. I've met him before and seems to be a great guy - they always do - I don't know their personal lives in detail to make an informed opinion and don't really care to. But this is a forum for posting opinions on the games of players. I stated that a few weeks ago he played like a man possessed, attacking everything, and my question really is why has that disappeared? I'm not sure why that makes you think I am being personal/vitriolic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I really don't understand your intense attacks on people here. Your posting style is immensely aggressive. Maybe tone it down. I'm not making anything personal with Ellis. I've met him before and seems to be a great guy - they always do - I don't know their personal lives in detail to make an informed opinion and don't really care to. But this is a forum for posting opinions on the games of players. I stated that a few weeks ago he played like a man possessed, attacking everything, and my question really is why has that disappeared? I'm not sure why that makes you think I am being personal/vitriolic.

Yeh, you need to put descriptions in context. When a player is called a dud, a jibber, etc it is generally in the context of comparing them to other AFL players. If Brandon Ellis was playing EFL or GVFL he'd probably be known as a hard at it superstar. As would Short etc, they would knock up getting the ball and likely be more aggressive than teammates. But we are discussing them in the context of the elite competition. In comparison with the best in the country. Ellis comes across as a well liked teammate, none of his "haters" would question his off-field character. But surely posters can question their on-field performance.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yeh, you need to put descriptions in context. When a player is called a dud, a jibber, etc it is generally in the context of comparing them to other AFL players. If Brandon Ellis was playing EFL or GVFL he'd probably be known as a hard at it superstar. As would Short etc, they would knock up getting the ball and likely be more aggressive than teammates. But we are discussing them in the context of the elite competition. In comparison with the best in the country. Ellis comes across as a well liked teammate, none of his "haters" would question his off-field character. But surely posters can question their on-field performance.
Just don’t use the term scared and then it’s all ok.
I have seen Brandon Ellis do some pretty courageous stuff on a footy field.
Fact is that he is primarily an outside player but that is actually his role in the team. He gets to contests, runs all day and provides the outlet.
He has been down the last couple of weeks and such is the competition for spots he really needs to get his form back.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Can't think of many players who have played more than a handful of AFL that you could legitimately call scared. Some players have a greater sense of self-preservation, others have complete reckless ignorance of putting themselves in danger.

Not surprisingly, those that are often called 'scared' are outside players who most likely have team rules not to get stuck in a contest but try to provide the outside support.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Just don’t use the term scared and then it’s all ok.

Scared is entirely the right word for how he has approached numerous contests this year - that is why they stand out. The fumbled mark in the goal square v GWS the one hand effort v the pies, the failure to make a contest v the pies were 3 very public displays of fear. You can use your own adjective.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The
Scared is entirely the right word for how he has approached numerous contests this year - that is why they stand out. The fumbled mark in the goal square v GWS the one hand effort v the pies, the failure to make a contest v the pies were 3 very public displays of fear. You can use your own adjective.
The problem I have with this sort of stuff is that it is cherry picking. I have seen him numerous times taking marks not knowing what is behind him.
Of course I can use my own adjective but if you want to use inflammatory ones like scared then you will get criticised.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The

The problem I have with this sort of stuff is that it is cherry picking. I have seen him numerous times taking marks not knowing what is behind him.
Of course I can use my own adjective but if you want to use inflammatory ones like scared then you will get criticised.

Yeah, it's a bit unfair, countless brave acts but a few lesser efforts mean you get branded a squib.

But that's how it is.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
The term "Scared" is actually on the lower end of adjectives BEllis has been called out for on this thread.

Feel free to browse through the previous 284 pages for some real eyebrow raising tomes.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yeah, it's a bit unfair, countless brave acts but a few lesser efforts mean you get branded a squib.

But that's how it is.

Bit like the classic joke that ends " ........."but you efff one goat ... "

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He needs to find Brando and needs to tell Bellis to go on holidays for a couple of months.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
The

If you were worried about inflammatory tones you wouldn't be on PRE.
Not sure cherry picking is correct, his hesitations when either contact or inferred contact is imminent are many, you could could list them each game. Anyway, his best is very good so lets hope he finds it.

Maybe Mr T should consider a censor and remove any words likely to offend. Would increase productivity of PRE posters 1000%.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If you were worried about inflammatory tones you wouldn't be on PRE.
Not sure cherry picking is correct, his hesitations when either contact or inferred contact is imminent are many, you could could list them each game. Anyway, his best is very good so lets hope he finds it.

Maybe Mr T should consider a censor and remove any words likely to offend. Would increase productivity of PRE posters 1000%.
Silly post MDJ. I am not worried about it, I'm calling it out as wrong

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I let Ellis and go after Greenwood.
He is quality just playing under a big dud.
He could be our version of Yeo.
Can take grab, go into the guts and can play forward.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Silly post MDJ. I am not worried about it, I'm calling it out as wrong

Nothing inflammatory or wrong with what I said in context. Playing scared footy is a common term used. Just more PC rubbish that has taken over the world. Always someone somewhere insulted by an innocuous term. So if I used the word hesitant that would have been fine to you, as long as it's not scared? Seriously.... lol..

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
He wasn't scared!

He was just slightly spooked and feared for his safety which made him a little bit afraid but not scared.

Ok maybe just a little bit scared but not scared scared.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Up to the last couple of weeks Brando’s form was good, doing plenty of customary hard running, however my biggest issue in the last couple of weeks hasn’t so much been what others have criticised him for, but the fact he appears to be playing safe in the sense of chipping backwards or sideways , rather then backing himself to take the game on and running and kicking hard forward, bottom line the MC will know if his doing what is required.

Reactions: 2 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
my biggest issue in the last couple of weeks hasn’t so much been what others have criticised him for, but the fact he appears to be playing safe in the sense of chipping backwards or sideways
Agreed. Without knowing what his instructions are, this seems to be the easy option for him personally, which really means he is transferring responsibility to another player, while also racking up a stat and giving the opposition defence more time to set up. A long sideways kick to the fat side, to switch play, can advance the cause, but a short chip seems pointless. He does a similar thing with handballs at times – "Here, it's your problem now."

Reactions: 2 users