Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Nothing inflammatory or wrong with what I said in context. Playing scared footy is a common term used. Just more PC rubbish that has taken over the world. Always someone somewhere insulted by an innocuous term. So if I used the word hesitant that would have been fine to you, as long as it's not scared? Seriously.... lol..
I have no idea where you get this garbage about me being insulted by it or it not being PC. It’s just a ridiculous term to use on a player at an AFL level. You can’t play 150 AFL games these days and be scared.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Up to the last couple of weeks Brando’s form was good, doing plenty of customary hard running, however my biggest issue in the last couple of weeks hasn’t so much been what others have criticised him for, but the fact he appears to be playing safe in the sense of chipping backwards or sideways , rather then backing himself to take the game on and running and kicking hard forward, bottom line the MC will know if his doing what is required.

I agree 100% with this. What I've noticed over the last few game is he just keeps going to the final siren. His last quarters are always strong. He's a mixed bag, he used to always crab, now he only crabs sometimes, he used to shirk a lot, now he doesn't shirk much, but overlaying all that is the running, the getting to contests and running in support. He is so strong in those areas it makes up for deficiencies, usually,

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep, I'm a critic of bobble but he's got some elite characteristics, gut running for four quarters being one. He gets a lot of the ball and his disposal is usually OK. When he wants to play hard he can, this has fallen off recently. He does kick goals even if they float through as helicopters and mung punts.

And he's almost a veteran. He has big game experience.

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Scared is entirely the right word for how he has approached numerous contests this year - that is why they stand out. The fumbled mark in the goal square v GWS the one hand effort v the pies, the failure to make a contest v the pies were 3 very public displays of fear. You can use your own adjective.
rubbish, if thats your case you will see a scared footballer every 15 minutes, ellis often avoids contact or tries to minimise it..so what..... he goes too ground too easy which is a flaw/problem....and while a fella is sprawled on the deck its one short for the team....ellis also takes short steps because again if its 50/50 and he goes hard it still a 50/50 with ellis not at his best and strongest in this bang crash area so again the ball could spill and ellis gets unbalanced so instead ellis takes a short one and lays the tackle instead, or is on his feet for whatever happens... plays the percentages most likely... you cant have 10 jack grahams types in one side and expect to win a flag, same goes with 10 ellis types. you need a blend of both with a shed load of playmakers like dusty, sheds, prestia, stack, riolis and co. you really think dimma and balme would tolerate a scared rabbit in the team...for sooo long.... i think not.

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
I have no idea where you get this garbage about me being insulted by it or it not being PC. It’s just a ridiculous term to use on a player at an AFL level. You can’t play 150 AFL games these days and be scared.
exactly. scared is a crap and wrong word.....hesitant is a good word to use instead and can be justified in many of brandos average moments...gotta say it again to make my point, but ellis is our best gut running and spreading defensive/offensive player who covers all points of the ground but not so much in the corridor or at the coalface...so banging and crashing at 50/50 balls is not his bloody role. or being a burst player like dusty weaving in and out of heavy traffic.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I don't know, you called it inflammatory and insisted that people shouldn't used the term 'scared' , you sound insulted to me. Me, I see it as a standard term in context and nothing to wet one pants over. And by the sounds of it you still don't get it. Yes you can play scared after 150 games. Ellis has had instances a number of times recently where he has played scared going for the ball. Head down, expecting a hit and therefore misjudging or missing the ball is playing scared. If you do it once that's fine it happens but it's happened throughout his career on and off and quite a bit lately. Whether YOU like the term or not frankly is of no consequence. It's not worth arguing over, it's just a term to describe what I just stated above, not an attack on one's personal character.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
exactly. scared is a crap and wrong word.....hesitant is a good word to use instead and can be justified in many of brandos average moments...gotta say it again to make my point, but ellis is our best gut running and spreading defensive/offensive player who covers all points of the ground but not so much in the corridor or at the coalface...so banging and crashing at 50/50 balls is not his bloody role. or being a burst player like dusty weaving in and out of heavy traffic.

lol, hesitant and scared the same thing in context. You just proved my point, thanks. And I agree with you Ellis has some very strong assets but he has to and he CAN improve those average moments you refer to. It's just a mindset.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes . Because we play 7 at the back we have to have players who can get to contest after contest with gut running. Grigg did it for years, lambert is another one, Prestia is now great at it because he is fit, McIntosh and Ellis. Brando has his limitations as a player, he is a great endurance runner but one paced and has no side step so he runs in straight lines but he works really hard week after week. He is always there for the outlet which is why he is in the team.
I don't know, you called it inflammatory and insisted that people shouldn't used the term 'scared' , you sound insulted to me
No I didn’t. I said if you wanted to use inflammatory words like scared you should be prepared to be criticised for it.
You are being criticised for it .

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I would class Ellis as a hyper type hence the scared perception some have here.Needs to stay in IMO.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Agreed. Without knowing what his instructions are, this seems to be the easy option for him personally, which really means he is transferring responsibility to another player, while also racking up a stat and giving the opposition defence more time to set up. A long sideways kick to the fat side, to switch play, can advance the cause, but a short chip seems pointless. He does a similar thing with handballs at times – "Here, it's your problem now."

Well said. At face value it’s fine, but when any player does the above it’s counterproductive (because it allows the opposition to setup) and selfish (because they’ve deferred a situational problem for someone else to look bad).

I notice a lot of bottom teams’ best players are experts at these techniques while consistently gathering 25+ possessions.

Reactions: 1 users