Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I agree 100% with this. What I've noticed over the last few game is he just keeps going to the final siren.

Not true statically. Certainly was the case last game, last quarter was easily his strongest but previous 3 weeks last quarter wasn't his most prominent.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Ellis needs to play a very strong and competitive game against Carlton if he is to keep his spot.
As others have commented, there are a number of players breathing down his neck so he can ill-afford to play poorly.
He may be feeling vulnerable, which may be making fee insecure and uncertain, but hopefully he can just go out there and play some good contested footy.
We all know he's a running beast - which is an important component of his game and what he can bring to the team - it's just that finals footy is so much about being able to withstand and then perform under pressure and this seems to be the area where Ellis is the most vulnerable.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
What I've noticed over the last few game is he just keeps going to the final siren. His last quarters are always strong. He's a mixed bag, he used to always crab, now he only crabs sometimes, he used to shirk a lot, now he doesn't shirk much, but overlaying all that is the running, the getting to contests and running in support. He is so strong in those areas it makes up for deficiencies, usually,

Good summation of Brando.

Could you provide one for Bellis?

I chalk short, non-team advancing or even team-retreating possessions in my statistics as a ''you deal with it' possession.

I hate them. A high-risk/no return option, unless its Dusty who deals with it. Then it often goes into the score involvement column.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
A number of posters have made interesting comments/observations about Ellis. With there being real pressure for spots in the senior team, Ellis could go a long way to justifying his ongoing place in the team for the upcoming finals if he can have a big game against Gaff this week (assuming they play on each other). As we have seen, Gaff is a running machine and big possession accumulator so it will be a big challenge for Ellis to at least match Gaff's output and influence. If he gets dominated by Gaff, Ellis could well be putting his finals hopes in jeopardy. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the RFC match committee meeting this week and it would certainly be intriguing to hear what the coaches actually say and think about several of our players, including Ellis.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Big game needed from Bobble this week either way hes likely going to get a prime mover and runner of the Coasters midfield in Gaff.

Lambo might be an option here also.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Age saying Carlton targeting Coniglio & Brando, if Blues gave Brando Thomas's money of circa $700k then what would we get as compo ?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Age saying Carlton targeting Coniglio & Brando, if Blues gave Brando Thomas's money of circa $700k then what would we get as compo ?
Daisy was on nowhere near $700K he signed a 1 year extension for very little money I believe. Brando would be offered no more than 500k but a longer contract IMO

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

They would burn princess park down if they offered Ellis over 450 let alone 700.
Regardless anything under 30 in a compo pick would be A1 for Ellis.
Straight in for trade for a ready made defender.

*carlton are falling into the trap of thinking one player will be the answer to everything.
Similar to Sheild & Essendon.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Letting Ellis go both creates salary cap space we’ll need going forward plus we have a multitude of players who would be better in the team anyway - Pickett, Naish or Balta as the tall winger. While he’s still there, he keeps getting picked and will keep making crucial errors or show lack of required intensity in key moments in big games. Too much difference between his best & worst.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
A number of posters have made interesting comments/observations about Ellis. With there being real pressure for spots in the senior team, Ellis could go a long way to justifying his ongoing place in the team for the upcoming finals if he can have a big game against Gaff this week (assuming they play on each other). As we have seen, Gaff is a running machine and big possession accumulator so it will be a big challenge for Ellis to at least match Gaff's output and influence. If he gets dominated by Gaff, Ellis could well be putting his finals hopes in jeopardy. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the RFC match committee meeting this week and it would certainly be intriguing to hear what the coaches actually say and think about several of our players, including Ellis.

Perfect matchup for Ellis. Nathan Bower should be having a chat to him about how he used to love playing on Matera and smashing him.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Let him go and dont bother with matching the offer.
He constantly went back when 99% of his team mates were rolling forward