Brett Deledio (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Deledio (merged)

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Unfortunately even if he plays on I doubt he'll realise the dream. He may not make GWS' best 22 even if they can play the GF next year.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I can't feel too bad for him, as he made a conscious decision to leave. If it wasn't GWS it would have been Geelong.

And like someone else mentioned, I'm not sure we win if he stays around whether it's due to 'cultural' reasons or his injury woes.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He wanted geelong, he wanted to leave, he can stew over that decision.
We would've won it with him in the team.

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
I feel so bad for Lids and although he was my fave player, he decided he wanted out so I can not spend time feeling sorry for him.

It is clear to me now that Lids may have been part of the problem and not part of the solution at the club. His decision to leave has in fact been a blessing for us.

I am sorry that you missed out Lids but I am glad now that you decided to go - or we may have been tempted to play you for sentimental reasons and that may have cost us a Premiership.

I am also grateful that you got us a 1st round pick as that will help enormously given we finished top and our first selection is so late!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
tigerlee said:
I feel so bad for Lids and although he was my fave player, he decided he wanted out so I can not spend time feeling sorry for him.

It is clear to me now that Lids may have been part of the problem and not part of the solution at the club. His decision to leave has in fact been a blessing for us.

I am sorry that you missed out Lids but I am glad now that you decided to go - or we may have been tempted to play you for sentimental reasons and that may have cost us a Premiership.

I am also grateful that you got us a 1st round pick as that will help enormously given we finished top and our first selection is so late!
I dunno if he was really part of the problem. Seeing a few of the players make the conscious decision to talk to him after the GWS final makes me think he's still well liked and respected. 2017 was a perfect storm for us and unfortunately Brett wasn't part of it.

tigerlee

Tiger Champion
Sep 24, 2005
Melbourne
CarnTheTiges said:
I dunno if he was really part of the problem. Seeing a few of the players make the conscious decision to talk to him after the GWS final makes me think he's still well liked and respected. 2017 was a perfect storm for us and unfortunately Brett wasn't part of it.

Who knows! From reports on PRE and a few other sites (and i realise they may be just rumours) Lids was part of the problem. I am sure a lot of players respected Lids, just like I did.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
tigerlee said:
Who knows! From reports on PRE and a few other sites (and i realise they may be just rumours) Lids was part of the problem. I am sure a lot of players respected Lids, just like I did.
Reading between the lines with comments some people said. "Club moved on a number coaches, some senior players of recent years, brought in many new faces, great ideas, it freshened up the place. Words to the affect. Felt like a new place". Honestly I don't know anything. Lids carried the club for many years. Maybe the change or him being moved on, was one of the catalysts. I don't know

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
zippadeee said:
Played in 3 finals, Carlton, port & nth... 2 out of the 3 we were favourites and we lost all 3.

Read again carefully what you wrote.
Pretty sure it isn't what you meant.
I think there is a "not" missing somewhere.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
CarnTheTiges said:

That's my view - wrong place wrong time.

Great player for the Tigers but is not a premiership tiger player.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Watched GWS final replay.
Cotch was on boundary when siren went.
Congratulated teammates also on boundary, then made a 100 metre beeline straight to Lids.

Says a lot about the quality of both of them.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
The emotions showed by Benny and Richo and Wayne Campbell in the stands on Saturday have changed my view on Lids. I think of them, Matty Knights, Dunc (before he got injured), even Jack a few years ago, and think they could have left too and chased glory elsewhere but they didn't (yes, I know Cambo tried). Benny could have gone to the AFL but didn't. They all had every right to leave - the club was a basket case - but they chose to stay. I shudder to think where we'd be based as a club if Richo didn't stick fat as Dimma would say. Lids had that same choice and left. He'll always be a club legend. He's the player that helped my kids choose Richmond over their father's team (lolnorf) so I'll never hate him. But I don't feel sorry for him. He was presented with the same choices as many tiger legends before him and chose differently. He'll have to live with that decision.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wayne Campbell as well? I didn't notice him welling up. If he did then good on him.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
casper68 said:
It means more when you win a Premiership being a one-club player.
Better than being a non Premiership player just ask Caddy Prestia Houli & Grigga

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
When I was at Prelim., I spoke to people very very very close to the club.... No names....and was told in no uncertain terms that he was not THE problem... But he was a part of it. Him moving on did not hinder the process to becoming Premiers in anyway. Anyone could have spoken to these people they were standing around everywhere you looked.