Brett Deledio (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Deledio (merged)

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne
Blight was commenting on Deledio in saying that TW should give him a go on the ball to see what he has got, instead of pinch hitting him here there and everywhere during games.

After seeing Griffen take on more of a midfeild role this year after half back last year, how does Deledio compare with Griffens progress atm?

My question to you guys is, Do you think TW is hindering Lids development atm? Are they using him/developing him on game day correctly?

Interested in your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
You have to remember Griffen is a year older and more physically developed than Lids at this stage.Come the 2007 season we will see Lids take a more ative role in the middle.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Good thread TE! I think the club is very wary of sparking an injury to Brett. He did after all play 22 games last year and has only missed one so far this year - thats a heavy burden on a young body. I remeber Cogs winning a BnF in his 2nd? year but then suffered with OP for the next 2 years....clubs have to be so careful now. Griffen is going to be one hell of a player - absolute superstar but yes he is physically a little more mature than Brett and that has to be taken into consideration. I would love to see Brett play more in the middle and i reckon we will see that progression next year....another will be Raines - he has onballer written all over him!

Make no mistake Brett Deledio is going to be a champion!

waitingfortonight

Tiger Rookie
Apr 5, 2006
melbourne
Good post and this has been on my thoughts suggestions for next year.

Raines and Deleido in the middle for 2007 once they have another pre season under their belts and a more matured body in the gym.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Would have liked to see Deledio play more in the midfield this year & thus he hasn't come on as much as I expected.I would hope in 2007 he spends more time on the ball & expect 2007 to be a great year for him.

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
I'd say Deledio has been a bit of a flop this year and Turtle Neck (Tambling who keeps ducking his head in marking contests) has done absolutely nothing to write home about so far.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I was thinking the same thing on Sunday watching the bulldogs play (and a couple of weeks ago when Piggy and Schwass et al were talking All Australian team, and mentioned Griffin) that he seems to have gone past Delidio in terms of performance this year.

However, the bulldogs have more quality midfielders in their lineup, and Griffin probably isn't going to get a tag like lids is, as they are more likely to go after Cooney and West etc.

I too would like to see more of lids in the middle, and Tambling too for that matter.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
very valid point General, Lids has copped some very hard tags this year. the likes of which Griffen hasnt had to cope with yet for the reasons you point out.

One thing I have noticed with Lids this year is he doesnt seem to be as impressive overhead.

Countless times last season I was left in awe how strong he was in contested or overhead marking contests...especially one on one........it doesnt seem to be the case so much this year.

He will be fine though, he's still just a kid.

itsintheblood

Tiger Superstar
Dec 16, 2004
Melbourne
tigertough12 said:
I'd say Deledio has been a bit of a flop this year and Turtle Neck (Tambling who keeps ducking his head in marking contests) has done absolutely nothing to write home about so far.

You're an idiot.

Knighter

Do you really want the answer?
Aug 8, 2003
Melbourne
iitb said:
tigertough12 said:

You're an idiot.

Post of the day iitb!

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
iitb said:
tigertough12 said:

You're an idiot.

Theres no point arguing with an idiot as he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience :rofl

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He's going ok isn't he ?

Still a pup...just in his second year...making a few execution errors by foot, but his decision making, hard running/pace, creativity, involvement etc is pretty darn good isn't it ?

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
Considering the nearly "knee" against Geelong and punishment he has had this year, I would say a lesser role at this point in time is important for Lids... he has had a few heavy hits I think...

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
tigertough12 said:

Such a little ray of sunshine! ::)

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
i think wallace has his eyes set on next year

if we dont make the 8 next year, the club is stuffed

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I watched Lids at the SCG on Saturday night and couldn't believe how closely he was tagged. Dempster and McVeigh took it in turns and were doing all the usual tagging negating tactics. Lids has more to learn to cope with these tags as he will cop it for the rest of his football career.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Deledio has outpossessed and outmarked Griffen this year. If Griffen has spent alot of time on the ball then makes Deledio's stats even mre impressive. 17.6 posessions and 6.6 marks per game for a 2nd year player, 19 years of age isn't a bad effort by my books. Deledio acording to the stats is also heavier by 4 kilos than Griffen (this may have changed), but that should dispel th theory that Griffen is alot stronger. Lids definitely plays taller in my opinion. At times Lids has made a few unforced errors but overall he appears to know whee to go, and under heavy tagging at time is still able to find plenty of the ball.

Can't see how anyone could be too disappointed with the lads efforts so far this year.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
TigerPort said:
I watched Lids at the SCG on Saturday night and couldn't believe how closely he was tagged. Dempster and McVeigh took it in turns and were doing all the usual tagging negating tactics. Lids has more to learn to cope with these tags as he will cop it for the rest of his football career.

Tagged very closely and still managed to get the second most possessions for the Tigers. Seems to be coping with the tag quite well to me.

itsintheblood

Tiger Superstar
Dec 16, 2004
Melbourne
Bunnerz said:
i think wallace has his eyes set on next year

if we dont make the 8 next year, the club is stuffed

Not true. I would expect some success in year 4-5 though. We need some KPP's this year and another decent ruckman and quickly!!!