Brett Ratten sacked | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Ratten sacked

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Depends what you mean by funding, everyone receives two types of funding, the standard distribution and the variable funding.

The standard distribution used to be the funding to cover things like the salary cap, but they have now cut back so richer clubs are having to cover more themselves.

Then the variable funding is the evening up money to try and create a level playing field, which can be a lot or nothing depending on your finances. So when you say they are paying for a coach, the reality is they are paying for most coaches and most staff at most clubs but the soft cap remains the same.

This is a good article about the past decade, interesting to note despite the hubris and regular sneering at poorer clubs, we have had a good run at extra money as well, more than 7 clubs in that period.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...een-top-and-bottom-clubs-20220304-p5a1yp.html
The difference in variable funding for the 10 richer clubs is around 10mil across 10 years. It's a minor difference in AFL funding. We may have received more than 7 clubs the difference is negligible.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
What do people think of the incest that is going on at the Saints?

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey
Now Brendon Goddard added as a development coach

Nick Dal Santo AFLW Coach

Pretty unusual but i suppose at least Hayes and Harvey have gained experience elsewhere, (they are going back to the future where no Premiership was won).

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

Pretty unusual but i suppose at least Hayes and Harvey have gained experience elsewhere, (they are going back to the future where no Premiership was won.
Big rumour Plugger is coming back as a defence coach.
They could have Clarkson, Hardwick and Hafey with that list anything above 10th position is a good job.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
all these past players coming back (as coaches) who were coached under Lyon will either make the saints rise up quickly or have a disappointing 3 years. I think the latter, when lyon was coaching them they had one of the best midfielders group, top forward line and their backs were ok. current team is no where near this. I think it's a boys, mates club mentality operating here. All these appointment with ties?????

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

Pretty unusual but i suppose at least Hayes and Harvey have gained experience elsewhere, (they are going back to the future where no Premiership was won).
If they believe they are the best candidates to fulfill those roles then good on them. But seems like they running a golden calf strategy to keep the members happy which never seems to work out in the end.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

I suspect there's going to be a lot of "Yes, Ross", "Great idea Rossy" emulating from these guys.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

It's a bit like the Blues Brothers getting the band back together

• Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

Train wreck.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
They remind me of us back in our rubbish days, even the Lyon appointment there was no process, not even due diligence to interview other candidates and put them through a process and then so be it if he is the best candidate Ross the president has no idea.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

I don't mind it, I think the quality of the coach is the key.

Hayes and Harvey have broad experience and by all reports Hayes is a very good coach already. I reckon N Riewoldt might be the next name to pop up.

• Wow

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

Not sure incest is the right word but i take your point.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

To be fair, these guys all represent their most successful era of the last 50 years. They nearly snagged a flag.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I don't mind it, I think the quality of the coach is the key.

Hayes and Harvey have broad experience and by all reports Hayes is a very good coach already. I reckon N Riewoldt might be the next name to pop up.

I guess it was the Brendon Goddard appointment that tipped my hand, not a fan of his at all.
As you say Harvey and Hayes quality people.

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne

Lyon
Hayes
Harvey

"We're getting the band back together."
The guy I'd love to see back in the coaching box is Silvagni.
I used to laugh hysterically when Lyon used to look back over his shoulder and abuse SOS after another Saints stuff up, he was the perfect whipping boy.

• Haha

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I guess it was the Brendon Goddard appointment that tipped my hand, not a fan of his at all.
As you say Harvey and Hayes quality people.
I did laugh at the news on the radio today. 2 or 3 times they referred to him as a st Kilda “ great”. The saints have been a basket case of a club since joining the league but they have had a few great players ( Lockett, Baldock, Stewart, Harvey to name a few). They either did a disservice ranking him in their league or the media these days know how to devalue the meaning of certain words