Brett Rosebury-Umpire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brett Rosebury-Umpire

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Chest mark drops in front of goal hurt. Need to take opportunities

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Gee it must have been netball premierships I saw in the 1970s, they would pay holding back then when a player was grabbed going for the ball.

What I am proposing, actually enforcing the rules, is what has changed. It used to happen, it no longer happens.

DS
Dave maybe you missed the point. The suggestion is that its not simply paying every free kick because that results in some soft, dubious and highly technical free kicks based on situations that arent impacting the game.
And besides i seem to recall an umpire James being lauded for his ability to pay only the ones that mattered.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dave maybe you missed the point. The suggestion is that its not simply paying every free kick because that results in some soft, dubious and highly technical free kicks based on situations that aren't impacting the game.
And besides i seem to recall an umpire James being lauded for his ability to pay only the ones that mattered.

It isn't just soft free kicks they are missing these days.

Also depends on how you interpret impact. My view is that the way players are scragged as they are trying to gain possession contributes to the rolling maul we see these days. When a player gets the ball, they are already being tackled so no way it can end up in anything but a stoppage. Add to this the way they let a pack form for ages before making a decision, and you get the mess we have now.

The ball is the objective, they need to protect the player attempting to gain possession more than they currently do.

The game flowed better back when they paid the frees which were there and ball ups were very quick.

We have seen many rule changes over the last 5-10 years, and even more interpretation changes, which now seem to be a weekly feature, and where has it got us? The game isn't better, it's worse.

DS