Brexited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brexited

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I've got mixed feelings about it. Inequality is rising and people feel excluded from the system, so they grab onto to any viable alternative that is perceived as lashing out against the that system. Personally I think that by supporting Brexit and Trump the marginalised are missing the mark by supporting xenophobia and nationalism, but I sympathise, because what have they got to lose?

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Baloo said:
Very uncertain. Short term, not good for Europe and the UK. GBP down 10% already.

Long term, I don't think anyone knows. Uncharted waters.

In the long term it will be interesting to see whether there will be a domino effect of other countries leaving the Eurozone.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
SpaceAce said:
In the long term it will be interesting to see whether there will be a domino effect of other countries leaving the Eurozone.

Perhaps. Scotland will leave the UK and rejoin the EU though. The Scots are already calling for new referendum to that end.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
antman said:
Perhaps. Scotland will leave the UK and rejoin the EU though. The Scots are already calling for new referendum to that end.

Yes I agree about Scotland. The Dutch have now renewed calls to have their own referendum on leaving the EU, I think other countries will follow, particularly Greece.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
TigerForce said:
This sounds like WWIII is on the verge. Back to nationalism.

Yeah, they should disband NATO so Putin can build his empire.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
tigersnake said:
I've got mixed feelings about it. Inequality is rising and people feel excluded from the system, so they grab onto to any viable alternative that is perceived as lashing out against the that system. Personally I think that by supporting Brexit and Trump the marginalised are missing the mark by supporting xenophobia and nationalism, but I sympathise, because what have they got to lose?

Exacerbated by a class-based society.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Tigers of Old said:
Be very interesting to see which way it pans out. For my many friends in England I hope it's ok for them but plenty are saying they're coming back to Oz.

I am paid in sterling but don't live in the UK. :help

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
antman said:
The Scottish separatists will be back in the game. Northern Ireland and Ireland will be at loggerheads again - they had open borders and now that's all over. Good luck Fortress Britain, you are going to need it.

Scotland Northern Ireland and Wales all voted remain. Could there be Union of Egalitarian Celtic Republics? The United Kingdoms of Alba Cymru and Eire?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Brexit: Bugger Britain – it's the world that counts

The vote represented democracy at its finest. People like the guy who wrote this resemble the Hird family, indignant that they didn't get the outcome they wanted, and that people have been conditioned to want. Get the impression after reading opinions from various news sources that nobody actually voted to leave.

Geez there's been some whinging here today. 17 million+ idiots and no hopers just out voted all the smart people, according to the Remainers.

I now know why they don't make any decent wine in the UK - it's full of sour grapes.

Personally, I'm rapt. Great for my business. Hopefully an end to EU driven employment beauracracy.

And good luck to Scotland. Nicola Sturgeon is as awful a politician as there is. If they do vote to leave the UK, they'll have to apply to rejoin Europe, and the join the Euro if they're accepted. I'm sure the EU can't wait to get their hands on the Scottish GDP. Might be the answer to Greece's problems.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Another setback for humanity. Nationalism on the rise again.

People are very stupid in general.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
KnightersRevenge said:
Scotland Northern Ireland and Wales all voted remain. Could there be Union of Egalitarian Celtic Republics? The United Kingdoms of Alba Cymru and Eire?

Didn't think Wales did? But yeah Scotland overwhelming stay, also under 25s overwhelming stay, over 60s overwhelming leave. Also all the major cities voted stay.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Baron Samedi said:

In a democracy, a majority only has to be 50.1%. Even then you can get more people on the side of a loss, like the early 00s Aus Tampa election, and also many think the potential stay vote was had less conviction and stayed home and didn't vote, lot to be said for compulsory voting IMO.

Also, I don't think its necessarily stupid. Many people yes, the old king and country brigade, but what got them over the line was excluded people taking a rare opportunity to throw a spanner in the works of the status quo.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Baron Samedi said:

Because, you know...

If you want to self-govern, you're a nationalist.
If you want to be free to practice and preserve your own culture rather than bending to the will of the majority, you're a xenophobe.
And if you don't like elite controlled managed trade edicts being the house rules, you're an isolationist.

If however, if you simply lick the boots of the globalist masters and kiss the ring of Sauron, you're an enlightened, well-educated, intelligent, loving and compassionate free individual who exemplifies tolerance and acceptance of your fellow man and worthy to have songs sung about you.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I don't have a stake in it, but this reader comment struck a chord.

"Brussels became another layer of government and bureaucracy that created in the minds of many who voted to leave, inane compliance descriptions that affected food, new laws that skewed human rights in favour of convicted criminals and slowed responses to emerging crises."

Seem like sound reasons for opting out if that's how EU membership is perceived.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Giardiasis said:
Because, you know...

If you want to self-govern, you're a nationalist.
If you want to be free to practice and preserve your own culture rather than bending to the will of the majority, you're a xenophobe.
And if you don't like elite controlled managed trade edicts being the house rules, you're an isolationist.

If however, if you simply lick the boots of the globalist masters and kiss the ring of Sauron, you're an enlightened, well-educated, intelligent, loving and compassionate free individual who exemplifies tolerance and acceptance of your fellow man and worthy to have songs sung about you.

hammer, nail, head