Brexited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brexited

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Panthera Tigris said:
As per my earlier posts on Northern Ireland. I just finished watching a Dateline special on this very topic on SBS. Not sure if anyone else on here watched it?

Made the very points that I made previously, that with both the UK & the Republic of Ireland being EU members, this formed the underlying building block that enabled a peace deal to be agreed upon. Without this element, there would have been no peace deal.

As part of the programme, they interviewed some militant Republicans who were never happy with the peace deal. They smugly declared that they actually see Brexit as an opportunity to renew their movement and kick things off again. They had been denied oxygen for so long under the peace arrangement and they seemed rather satisfied that it now gives their movement an afterlife.

Yes. The EU has always been a peace project as well as a politico-economic one. A primary motive for Churchill and others instrumental in thought around the European project after WWII, something which the hysterical Brexiters who scream about saving the world from the Nazis prefer not to mention.

Also explains Putin and the Russian trollfarms attempts to promote Brexit by hook or by crook. A weaker Europe and a weaker NATO is good for Russia. Putin's man in Pennsylvania Avenue has been doing his bit.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
UK found to be hottest investment destination despite Brexit

Brexit may be causing all sorts of uncertainty in Britain but it doesn't seem to be putting off foreign investors.

In a survey on corporate deal-making published Monday, consulting and accounting firm EY says Britain is the top investment destination in the world for the first time in the report's 10-year history — overtaking the United States, which has held the top spot since 2014.

The pound's fall since the June 2016 vote to leave the European Union has made British assets cheaper, but Steve Krouskos, a global vice chair at EY, notes Britain also remains an "open environment for foreign investors" even in the midst of the Brexit chaos. That culture, he said, is reinforced by the English language, a skilled workforce, and a strong technology base.

Those long-standing strengths have helped Britain recover as a place to do business since the shock of the June 2016 referendum, which saw the country narrowly vote to leave the EU. With so much uncertainty surrounding the future of the British economy, the country slumped down EY's rankings. In the October 2016 survey, Britain was as low as seventh.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Brexit as it relates to Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland .... who knows what craziness awaits here.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
So now you don’t like democracy? Quexit would be grand, as would Vexit, Wexit and any other exit that reduces the power of the federal gov.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The rest of the country might want a Vexit. Can't say I'd blame them.

I'd be dusting off my Vic passport and heading home

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Vexit would be great. AFL would become an international competition.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Can't see the EU extending again. Looks like the Brexit party will obliterate the Tories in the EU elections.. So we'll have a bunch of people who hate the EU in the EU parliament.

Boris looks likely as you say Gman. Even less inspiring than May? No Deal looms large. This could be the end of the Tories for a long spell. Labour don't look that healthy either.

Interesting times.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Similar softening (over similar time) of the base vote for the major parties as in Aus. Been saying it for years. People don't pick teams in politics anymore. They vote on issues. Big parties change slowly and force people to swallow the bitter pills of the policies they don't like in order to get the sweet ones they do like. This now feels outdated. Small parties can campaign on 1 or 2 issues they care about and not worry about the bitter pills.

E

easy_tiger

antman said:
i'm considering Antxiting out from the human race right now.

I have periodic Easy,xits.

I can go weeks without laying eyes on anyone,

then go down and talk to Eminem or Usain Bolt on the beach at Wategoes.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
KnightersRevenge said:
Similar softening (over similar time) of the base vote for the major parties as in Aus. Been saying it for years. People don't pick teams in politics anymore. They vote on issues. Big parties change slowly and force people to swallow the bitter pills of the policies they don't like in order to get the sweet ones they do like. This now feels outdated. Small parties can campaign on 1 or 2 issues they care about and not worry about the bitter pills.

Interesting to see how this plays out in the UK though. The EU elections would presumably have been proportional rep, but the House of Commons is first past the post. You vote for a minor party your vote is gone unless they are a contender. Much harder to dislodge major parties in a first past the post voting system.

We'll see what happens, I can't see another extension from the EU so it all needs to be resolved by October.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Johnson's majority is so great he can disregard the nutters in the ERG and cut a softer deal - so some are saying.