Brisbane = a machine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brisbane = a machine

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Just watched Brisbane run over collingwood. They played poorly in the first half, but when they went up a gear, they were just awesome. They're just so hard and fast and skillful. Their hardness at the ball stood out and thats where they beat the pies.

We've got a long way to go to reach brisbane at the moment, and hopefully we are on the right track in terms of the hard players which we have blooded into the team last year and so far this year. Just need a few more quicker, harder players around the ground IMO, like a Brad Scott and a Chris Johnson.

Alot of discussion on who people would like to have as coach IF Frawely was let go. Wallace, Eade, Sheedy. O'Donnell have been mentioned. IMO Craig Lambert would be a very good candidate - was a champion player for us and has been under Leigh Mathews for a few years now.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I have been feeling pretty optimistic over the last couple of days, thinking that Richmond is looking quite good.

Then I watched tonight's game, and I got a big sense of futility.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Agree Harry. Brisbane were awesome after half time. Just like flicking a switch and in the space of just over a quarter they blew away Collingwood and turned the match around by 50 points :eek:. Pretty amazing to win that easy in the end with something like 30 less possessions. Just shows how efficient they are as a team.

Brisbane looked vulnerable early and made a few skill errors when Collingwood were going all out and were able to put significant pressure on the lions but you can't keep that up for a full game and they were exposed as they tired and their intensity fell away in the second half.

How good does that kid Brennan look. KP and can catch and hold a footy one handed :eek:.

Agree we're not near them yet but we clearly are improving and what counts is that you peak at the end of the year not in april.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
When Essendon dominated I never enjoyed watching them play but Brisbane are different imo. They are a pleasure to watch.
Fast, skillful, tough, hard working, but not a pack of thugs.
A consummate team.
I've gotta begrudgingly give a bit of credit to Collingwood though :-\ .
That team mightn't be as good as Brisbane, but I really admire their arrogance and self belief that they are.
At least they give the top teams a run for their money that way.

(P.S. A bit to do with me not liking Essendon winning was their fans. At least we don't cop that in your face smugness from Brissie fans. Glad they're up there or I mightn't like them either, ha. ;D )

What a debut by Brennan. Does anyone know if he was an early draft pick, or is he a bargain basement discovery?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Brisbane are an awesome team and are a prime example of the difference a good coach makes. Matthews is still working with the same core group that he inherited at the end of 98' and look at them now.

However is it really good for the competition if Brisbane win the premiership again?

I am a big fan of the way Collingwood have gone about their business since Eddie took over and Malthouse came on board and could only wish that poor Richmond had that kind of direction. Watching last night I couldn't help but sympathise with Eddie and his quest for salary cap equalisation. Collingwood have busted their balls to become a competative unit but unless they cheat they will potentially always be a Michael Voss type player short of beating Brisbane.

As Richmond supporters this doesn't really affect us because we just aren't anywhere near Brisbane's level yet but heaven forbid we become competative and actually look like challenging for a flag we might just have a different view on things.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Can't agree with you more TF about what a difference a coach makes. I can remember when we beat Brisbane in early 2001 when leppitcsh did his hamstring, brisbane were pretty pathetic. I think Mathews was early in his 2nd or 3rd year at the club. Brisbane at that stage were all over the place.

Only Voss and Lappin were very good players for them at that stage. Black was finding his feet, Ashcroft and Hart were battlers at best, Akermanis was like a chicken with his head cut off - didn't know where to run, the Scotts were ordinary, Power, Mcrae, Johnson were all inconsistent performers who were so-so, etc.

Brisbane were a very dis-orientated team at that stage, however mathews managed to gel them together and made them play as one and turned them into a football machine. These players were not champion players pre-2001, however their unity bread success which bread confidence which in turn developed them into champion players.

Same with collingwood. IMO early last year we had a much better list than theirs. However Malthouse has instilled confidence into them and has made them play as one which has in turn brought out the most of his players.

I beleive our players have not realised their abilities, and the only way to do this is having the team play as a complete unit. At the end of the day its the coaches responsibility to have them play as such and have the players realise their potential. I just hope for all tiger fans that we are on the right direction.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Can't agree with you more TF about what a difference a coach makes. I can remember when we beat Brisbane in early 2001 when leppitcsh did his hamstring, brisbane were pretty pathetic. I think Mathews was early in his 2nd or 3rd year at the club. Brisbane at that stage were all over the place.

Only Voss and Lappin were very good players for them at that stage. Black was finding his feet, Ashcroft and Hart were battlers at best, Akermanis was like a chicken with his head cut off - didn't know where to run, the Scotts were ordinary, Power, Mcrae, Johnson were all inconsistent performers who were so-so, etc.

Brisbane were a very dis-orientated team at that stage, however mathews managed to gel them together and made them play as one and turned them into a football machine. These players were not champion players pre-2001, however their unity bread success which bread confidence which in turn developed them into champion players.

Same with collingwood. IMO early last year we had a much better list than theirs. However Malthouse has instilled confidence into them and has made them play as one which has in turn brought out the most of his players.

I beleive our players have not realised their abilities, and the only way to do this is having the team play as a complete unit. At the end of the day its the coaches responsibility to have them play as such and have the players realise their potential. I just hope for all tiger fans that we are on the right direction.

I agree with JohnF. I was feeling optimistic about richmond until I watched last nights game, then I thought otherwise.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
It will be interesting to see in hindsight how Wells, Salopek and Brennan go in comparison to Kane Johnson.

Can't get over Brennan grabbing the ball out of midair one handed like a tennis ball. Most players struggle with 2 hands.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I couldn't bear (pun intended) another Brisbane premiership. I dont care who beats them as long as someone does.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
scary thing is who is going to challenge Brisbane?

I suspect that Brisbane, Collingwood and Adelaide will fight it out and the rest will simply make up numbers.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
JohnF said:
I couldn't bear (pun intended) another Brisbane premiership. I dont care who beats them as long as someone does.

I can think of one worse - Collingwood winning it :p. Now that's a sickening thought.

At least I see why Brisbane is the best and if they won the flag again I would say fully deserved. Don't see anything in the pies apart from their self-belief and arrogance. We'll burst their bubble in round 16.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I don't begrudge Brisbane their success. If they can manufacture a champion team from the rabble that was their footy club, then good luck to them. And I don't think any concessions have made them the club they are now. You can't do that without good administration, coaching, recruiting, etc. The Swans have had concessions and where has it go them?

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
good post mightytiges!!! Brisbane are one awesome outfit!!! They will win it again unless adelaide can take them out!!! The only team capable at the moment IMO!!!! Collingwood will return to earth very soon and really arent as good as they are showing at the moment!!!! The bubble will burst soon!!! And i cant wait!!! By the way, we are nowhere near brisbane at the moment!!!! Lets not get carried and away!!! Nowhere near the class and polish!!! A long way to go!!! And just when you think they cant get any better out comes brennan!!