Brisbane v Richmond September 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brisbane v Richmond September 1

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Disagree. I went to Brisbane in 2019 and I reckon the crowd was 60/40 their way... I estimate there were 15,000 Richmond supporters at the Gabba that night. This helped reduce the home ground advantage of the home team.

While we do have a large following in SE QLD and we’ll still probably have a few thousand to the Gabba, the bulk of the tiger army won’t be able to travel. That’s probably worth a couple of goals on the scoreboard. The club will be spewing as much as the fans.

I also think back to the qualifying final in 2020. We lost that game due to our bad discipline. They tried to suck us in and we fell for it. We gave away multiple 50m pens in the first half. We came hard in the second half, but with the shorter quarters, we were unable to run them down.

We just need to be within 1-2 goals at half time and we win.
I am pretty sure Lynch was rested as well due to injury. Makes a big diff if he is up and about

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
RFC would love this . As following weeks game are Friday/ Saturday nights . Extra recovery . It’s a National Comp after all . Have no issues with playing Thursday Night
Anyone loving a Thursday night either
1. Lives in Brisbane or
2. Has no intention of watching it live.
I know for a fact Richmond are filthy. They want their members going to games. Not stuck in a recliner

Reactions: 8 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The timing of this game must have been influenced by the media partners.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Disagree. I went to Brisbane in 2019 and I reckon the crowd was 60/40 their way... I estimate there were 15,000 Richmond supporters at the Gabba that night. This helped reduce the home ground advantage of the home team.
I was there for that game as well. It was one of the great footy experiences I have had, Tiger supporters all over Brisbane and that march from the hotel to the Gabba was something to see. The plane trip home was a Tiger celebration.

No way that can happen on a Thursday night.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The timing of this game must have been influenced by the media partners.
The AFL is pretty clear finals are Thurs/Fri/Sat day/Sat night. They dont want Sunday games cos they dont want 6 day breaks, and in particular they dont want potential back to back 6 day breaks going into prelims.

So someone had to play Thursday. and unless it was cats v Pies it had to involve a team travelling interstate.

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
What a campaigner Zorko is? About the only Brisvegas player that would be happy to play for their captain next week is Mitch Flogingson and the Barometer.

Please please smash these smug pricks off the park Tigers.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

While we do have a large following in SE QLD and we’ll still probably have a few thousand to the Gabba, the bulk of the tiger army won’t be able to travel. That’s probably worth a couple of goals on the scoreboard. The club will be spewing as much as the fans.

I also think back to the qualifying final in 2020. We lost that game due to our bad discipline. They tried to suck us in and we fell for it. We gave away multiple 50m pens in the first half. We came hard in the second half, but with the shorter quarters, we were unable to run them down.

We just need to be within 1-2 goals at half time and we win.
Agree. I was there in 2019 too and that 60/40 split is about right. There were Richmond fans EVERYWHERE. A lot of Brisbane people at the game were shocked.

That won’t be the case this time thanks to the cheats at the AFL.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The AFL is pretty clear finals are Thurs/Fri/Sat day/Sat night. They dont want Sunday games cos they dont want 6 day breaks, and in particular they dont want potential back to back 6 day breaks going into prelims.

So someone had to play Thursday. and unless it was cats v Pies it had to involve a team travelling interstate.
Correct.
So why not Cats v Pies?
Majority of their membership bases are within 80klm of the MCG ( Barwon and Port Phillip Prisons ) and are able to get day release
Whilst the largest Victorian membership base is asked to travel interstate for a Thursday night game.
Absurd.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ultimately it's our own fault. We came 7th. We're at the arse end of the table and need to swallow what comes our way.

Plus, I think shortening the 2 week break and extending the 1 week break is better for us in the long run.

Reactions: 9 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Correct.
So why not Cats v Pies?
Majority of their membership bases are within 80klm of the MCG ( Barwon and Port Phillip Prisons ) and are able to get day release
Whilst the largest Victorian membership base is asked to travel interstate for a Thursday night game.
Absurd.
my guess is that we will play the loser from Friday night, next Friday night, then play the Cats Pies winner the following Friday night.
no 6 day breaks, and the 1st placed team plays their prelim on the Friday night.

If it was Cats v Pies on Thurs, then the Dockers v Dogs wold get Friday night.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Anyone loving a Thursday night either
1. Lives in Brisbane or
2. Has no intention of watching it live.
I know for a fact Richmond are filthy. They want their members going to games. Not stuck in a recliner

especially after 2020 when 99% of us were stuck on a recliner as we lifted the cup.

So why not Cats v Pies?

I reckon the minor premier would have had a say on the time of their match. And I think that’s fair enough. Travelling to the MCG on a Thursday night (and Friday night to a lesser extent) would be problematic if you lived in G-Town.

my guess is that we will play the loser from Friday night, next Friday night, then play the Cats Pies winner the following Friday night.
no 6 day breaks, and the 1st placed team plays their prelim on the Friday night.

If it was Cats v Pies on Thurs, then the Dockers v Dogs wold get Friday night.

I actually thought our game would be on Saturday twilight for this reason… Melbourne v Swans on Thursday. The loser gets an 8 day break v our 6 day break. While Freo v Dogs gets the later Saturday game due to the time zone.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Nah, I'm with Ian4

The club may like it from a playing group perspective but as Ian said this is TV before fans. The reality is that there is no reason to have a Thursday night game at all except for TV. The 4 finals could be played Friday night, Saturday afternoon and night and Sunday.
Fans watch TV too.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Should have been Cats & Pies. Ridiculous scheduling; absolutely insane but we should be used to this by the AFL now.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Thursday night games allow weekend workers to travel.
And with work from home fly up Wed night.
Work all Thu in your hotel. First flight back Fri morning. Or repeat the WFH.
Understand that it doesn't suit everyone.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Should have been Cats & Pies. Ridiculous scheduling; absolutely insane but we should be used to this by the AFL now.
Well, they’ve been trying to grow Thursday night football for a while now. What game would gain more traction and eyes on the tv on a Thursday ?

The AFL’s dislike for us is causing them to bite themselves on their own cheating arse.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
You would think there is now an increased chance Graham won't get up. Hopefully Lynch and Dusty are ok with the slightly quicker turnaround