Brownlow Scandal !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brownlow Scandal !!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
In Australia, there was no betting officially allowed at all on sport apart from horse racing before 1980.

The invention of the internet led to an explosion in online gambling in this country & it's now infecting every aspect of every sport.

Odds are always stacked against you though no matter what you bet on..might have the odd win but eventually you will lose.

Ultimately though I just hope this is a catalyst for taking the voting off the umpires. Have never felt comfortable with them casting the votes for the most prestigious award.
I dont really have a problem with the brownlow being the umpires award. I reckon making it a coaches award gives too much risk to bias- we coaches give votes late in the season to a rival Brownlow contender? and we have seen with the All Australian teams how the so-called experts view the game. we would probably end up with Tom Stewart winning the medal every year. (as long as Corey Enright doesn't steal too many votes.)
as for integrity we would end up with commentators discussing the brownlow while also giving votes.

i guess the AFL could always just get an ex-Geelong person to award the medal.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I dont really have a problem with the brownlow being the umpires award. I reckon making it a coaches award gives too much risk to bias- we coaches give votes late in the season to a rival Brownlow contender? and we have seen with the All Australian teams how the so-called experts view the game. we would probably end up with Tom Stewart winning the medal every year. (as long as Corey Enright doesn't steal too many votes.)
as for integrity we would end up with commentators discussing the brownlow while also giving votes.

i guess the AFL could always just get an ex-Geelong person to award the medal.

It is named after someone from the GFC.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
The one bloke that will come out of this without scrutiny will be B Scott. He oversaw umpires and should be in the spotlight as to what governance systems were in place and working, to mitigate the risk of this occurring.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
While only a low probability, those umpire earpieces remain an ominous source of potential external influence.

It's just a matter of time until someone, somewhere, misuses the technology.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The one bloke that will come out of this without scrutiny will be B Scott. He oversaw umpires and should be in the spotlight as to what governance systems were in place and working, to mitigate the risk of this occurring.

Hard to see what he or anyone else could do, the education programs are unequivocal.

If the reports are correct and this bloke had a few beers and blabbed to his mates I doubt it was because he wasn't clear about his responsibilities.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Hard to see what he or anyone else could do, the education programs are unequivocal.

If the reports are correct and this bloke had a few beers and blabbed to his mates I doubt it was because he wasn't clear about his responsibilities.

I bet there would have been warning signs that got ignored.

By the time the incident happens the opportunity to prevent it is gone.

Assuming this as a one off error made after some beers just wrong.

I’m a moral.

I base this after spending some part of my career investigating incidents or having others report them to me. Yet to come across one (out of hundreds) where the initiating event hadn’t happened before but not resulted in an incident. It’s just not how it works except in the rarest of circumstances.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Depends on which reports you wish to believe TBR.

Some reports claim he blabbed after a few sherbets n put up info about three games. Other reports are claiming it was ten games worth of tips. That wouldn't be a boozy blab, that would be a pre meditated scam the bookies set up.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Hopefully will be the catalyst for making umpires full time professionals & the AFL pouring resource into lower league umpiring too.

Well overdue by the tight arse exec$. You want umpires who are quality & not corrupt? Pay them.

Reactions: 1 user

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
A bit more on this from a source close to one of the arrested punters is that theres likely another 2 arrests, it was done over a few beers but more premeditated than first thought, the umpire allegedly received monetary benefit, they laid bets across different agencies but they didn't lay any losing bets.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Lol. To call out Pell as being the corrupt umpire makes no sense to us tiger suppo

A bit more on this from a source close to one of the arrested punters is that theres likely another 2 arrests, it was done over a few beers but more premeditated than first thought, the umpire allegedly received monetary benefit, they laid bets across different agencies but they didn't lay any losing bets.
See there is the problem.

They should have got me to put the bets on...guaranteed loss and no one is the wiser.

• Love
  • Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
, they laid bets across different agencies but they didn't lay any losing bets.
Fair amount of stupidity right there. Not a chance in hell that every bet laid is gunna be a winner with the type of betting involved.
Nothing wrong with spreading things through different betting agencies, but they needed to mix things up with some differing wins n losses through each agency. Still make a profit, but no discernable pattern.

Hit up half a dozen betting agencies with the same bets each time n all winners n you're leaving a skidmark visible from the moon.