Bruce McAvaney | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bruce McAvaney

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Has retired effective immediately.
After his GF performance im surprised its taken this long.
He should've been wearing a Geelong jumper.

Reactions: 7 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Bruce is a Group One performer whose owners kept racing him long beyond what was reasonable. Racing will still do well with him.

Now, how do we get the tarps around BT?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
His knowledge and stats that he brought to the table made his work the best in the business. Sad day for football that he has given up. Although he is in decline still one of the best.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He was a great caller many years ago. He is now a parody and his decision to retire is well overdue. His call of our PF was abysmal.

When Ladhams kicked a goal in the last quarter; “He’s playing next week BT! He’s playing next week!”

Funnily enough I didn’t see Ladhams on the Gabba in the GF.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He was a great caller many years ago. He is now a parody and his decision to retire is well overdue. His call of our PF was abysmal.

When Ladhams kicked a goal in the last quarter; “He’s playing next week BT! He’s playing next week!”

He was more excited with Ablett's *smile* handball then Dusty's 4th goal.
'He and Barry Cable to get 20 possessions & 2 goals in 2 Grand Finals'
How about the fuken goal?
How about the pathetic dropped mark by Stanley?
How about the 4 Geelong player's watching Dusty stroll past them.
How about Novak's efforts to tackle Dusty.
Who gives a *smile* about Barry Cable??

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
That's a beauty. I was sitting right behind that kick on the wing.

Just shows how much better commentary was before the modern take on making it more entertaining started being pushed. I reckon Bruce is a victim of modern day producers and other television wankers to be honest, I'm sure he'd rather call it straight like that given the choice.
Apologies for having to listen to Rex in the first part !!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Does anyone know if Emma Murray is available for consults with fans? ;)
At least BT sounded like he unbias.
McAvaney was devastated we got back into the game.
1 more goal and it could be over.
There was still 2 qtrs to go.

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The only problem now channel 7 will use either Brayshaw or Darcy.
Mute

Reactions: 1 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
He was more excited with Ablett's *smile* handball then Dusty's 4th goal.
'He and Barry Cable to get 20 possessions & 2 goals in 2 Grand Finals'
How about the fuken goal?
How about the pathetic dropped mark by Stanley?
How about the 4 Geelong player's watching Dusty stroll past them.
How about Novak's efforts to tackle Dusty.
Who gives a *smile* about Barry Cable??
This Barry Cable moment (he mentioned him 4 times) was when Bruce officially 'jumped the shark.' It was an irrelevant and insipid call of a truly incredible goal. I'm surprised Bonecrusher didn't get a mention whilst he was at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Bruce was a great caller, but over the last half dozen years or so, where every game caller has to have some kind of schtick to make things even more exciting. his growling n drooling commentary was almost vaudevillian slapstick.
Bruce retires n all it means is that I'll still keep the volume at minimal to mute levels when I watch broadcasts. Way to many gibbering idiots all desperately trying to be important to the game. It's footy n generally pretty fast paced n interesting without the constant dribbling n over the top informative explanation *smile*. They can save that *smile* for stop start games like Baseball n Gridiron where every millimetre n half touch of the ball is a life n death statistic scenario.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
I'd love to watch that game again. That clip is a stark example of how much he's declined. Compare it to his call of Jack tapping it to Dusty in last year's PF.

Jack s tap over 3 Cats to Dusty to run into an open goal after Short had dodged 2 Cats and after Tigers had won the ball from a Lynch behind..
Was seriously a fabulous performance but got little recognition.
It was at a crucial stage and Jack was simply sublime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Mute
I must say the Irony is amazing how when we were *smile* forever for years we were the least offensive and most laughed at side in the game.

The lovable dummy in the corner the inoffensive non threatening one.

The media would enjoy our failure and our pain they fed of it and we were a great source of mirth and satire.

BUT THEN !!

Finally we come good for a bit and we have drawn derision and disdain for the most part for 2 seaons unlike the love and floggery and palarvor afforded to Brisbane the Hawks, Swans and Cats.

We weren't supposed to stay good we were to get our token feel good McDonalds award Doggies flag and then pisss right back off into irrelevance again.

But they forgot a Premiership winning Richmond Football Club is far from irrelevant.

Now we are really upsetting them.

Hopefully we take it up a notch to absolute Grand *smile* Taking levels by pinching one more how good would it be then.

Reactions: 4 users

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Mute
Yep this is my concern. Almost bet they go with Darcy for Friday nights now with BT.
Why can’t we have Jason Bennett. The guy is great.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yep this is my concern. Almost bet they go with Darcy for Friday nights now with BT.
Why can’t we have Jason Bennett. They guy is great.
Screenshot_20210227-094144_Messages.jpgHow about the bloke that called the practice match on Fridey??

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Hear ! Hear Chumpley Chimpley ! One of your least worst posts.

McAveny’s abject barracking against us the last few years is finally put to rest.

That PF was an absolute disgrace.

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Sadly it seems like Brayshaw will be getting much more air time.....can’t stand him.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Hear ! Hear Chumpley Chimpley ! One of your least worst posts.

McAveny’s abject barracking against us the last few years is finally put to rest.

That PF was an absolute disgrace.
Thank you Dudford. Yes his PF call was appalling. Almost as bad as your use of the exclamation point!