Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Gee people can be cruel.
After kicking 1 goal 6 against the Swans people are calling Higgins, Missy.
Cruel.................... but hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Watched Saints a few time this year, he isnt really smiling anymore or seem to be enjoying his footy, i understand why yesterday he wasnt smiling with 1.6 but im talking all year...

I wonder if its the environment, or perhaps related to his illness/injury or perhaps even a side effect of the surgery?.. Im no doctor but just doesnt look like hes having fun anymore.

Didnt like how he left however i do hope he can find his happiness and mojo again.

Reactions: 4 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Watched Saints a few time this year, he isnt really smiling anymore or seem to be enjoying his footy, i understand why yesterday he wasnt smiling with 1.6 but im talking all year...

I wonder if its the environment, or perhaps related to his illness/injury or perhaps even a side effect of the surgery?.. Im no doctor but just doesnt look like hes having fun anymore.

Didnt like how he left however i do hope he can find his happiness and mojo again.
Its called regret...

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Saints cry foul at ‘Missy’ sledge (paywalled)​

St Kilda has taken to giving media outlets “feedback” on their reporting of players including Jack Higgins and Max King following Saturday’s loss to Sydney.

But Saints footy boss Simon Lethlean acknowledged criticism was “part of the industry”.

Lethlean said he had called the AFL about a “Missy” Higgins headline and he had also spoken to Fox Footy’s Garry Lyon about commentary.

Higgins kicked 1.6 with the chance to be the match-winner while Max King’s performance was a focus of TV commentary.

“There was some feedback about the use of nicknames like Missy Higgins and the like for Jack,” Lethlean said on SEN radio.

“No one likes young athletes being scrutinised with negativity, but again our job here is to put support around those players here, which they’ve got,” Lethlean said.

“It’s all part of the game to be scrutinised. As long as it’s balanced, that’s all part of the industry.

“I put a call into the AFL. I think the AFL saw fit without us getting involved to change the headline yesterday.

“ .... He wasn’t the only pretty talented player across the weekend to miss a lot of shots at goal … all I know is of all the guys who try their hardest on goalkicking, it’s Jack.

“He’ll be out there again this week doing that, he’s in pretty good form and we’ll keep supporting him, as we always do.”

Lethlean said he spoke to Lyon on Sunday.

“I haven’t listened to it Garry, you and I spoke yesterday because I thought it was worth me talking to Fox about it because we certainly got a lot of feedback about it,” Lethlean said.

“My view on that stuff is so long as it is balanced. It’s a story when high profile people are not playing well. There’s background I guess to what players are dealing with.”

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004

When you walk past their trophy cabinet display and all you see is a 2004 Wizard cup trophy and a rusted old 1966 premiership cup I wouldn’t be smiling either.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm just now listening to Mincey argue that "Missy" was just pithy headline writing and I agree.

Lethlean needs to stop rooting secretaries.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Saints cry foul at ‘Missy’ sledge (paywalled)​

St Kilda has taken to giving media outlets “feedback” on their reporting of players including Jack Higgins and Max King following Saturday’s loss to Sydney.

But Saints footy boss Simon Lethlean acknowledged criticism was “part of the industry”.

Lethlean said he had called the AFL about a “Missy” Higgins headline and he had also spoken to Fox Footy’s Garry Lyon about commentary.

Higgins kicked 1.6 with the chance to be the match-winner while Max King’s performance was a focus of TV commentary.

“There was some feedback about the use of nicknames like Missy Higgins and the like for Jack,” Lethlean said on SEN radio.

“No one likes young athletes being scrutinised with negativity, but again our job here is to put support around those players here, which they’ve got,” Lethlean said.

“It’s all part of the game to be scrutinised. As long as it’s balanced, that’s all part of the industry.

“I put a call into the AFL. I think the AFL saw fit without us getting involved to change the headline yesterday.

“ .... He wasn’t the only pretty talented player across the weekend to miss a lot of shots at goal … all I know is of all the guys who try their hardest on goalkicking, it’s Jack.

“He’ll be out there again this week doing that, he’s in pretty good form and we’ll keep supporting him, as we always do.”

Lethlean said he spoke to Lyon on Sunday.

“I haven’t listened to it Garry, you and I spoke yesterday because I thought it was worth me talking to Fox about it because we certainly got a lot of feedback about it,” Lethlean said.

“My view on that stuff is so long as it is balanced. It’s a story when high profile people are not playing well. There’s background I guess to what players are dealing with.”
What a bunch of snowflakes. No wonder it is such a loser club.

• Haha

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm just now listening to Mincey argue that "Missy" was just pithy headline writing and I agree.

Lethlean needs to stop rooting secretaries.
Yeah not sure Pants Lethlean showed as much care or concern for all the female AFL employees that were treated like *smile* by he and other senior management.

What a joke.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I had a laugh but thought it was a bit borderline. Wouldn't be happy if it was a Richmond player. Newspapers need some standards.
Meh. It's the sub editors doing what they do; playing on words for a headline. Completely harmless and no vilification at all IMO. There is plenty of worse *smile* that can happen to people.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I reckon because at the tigers he could slip in under the radar and support Jack and our other forwards and play his game but not as one of the experienced players - he was never expected to win a game of his own boot, just do his bit.

At the saints the expectations are higher for him and I don’t think he is ready yet. Look at our other players taken in that draft, Balta and CCJ are still juniors in our team with more experienced bodies around them.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
The Missy headline would pass if it were funny or creative.

Twisting a person's name into a sledge belongs in the slips cordon of a fourth grade cricket match.

When you think about it, it's really quite lame.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Twisting a person's name into a sledge belongs in the slips cordon of a fourth grade cricket match.

You would say that, Numb Berate.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Higgins stats don't compare to unfavourably to Dan Butlers 2020 stats, even allowing for the shorter games.
he is doing ok and will get better.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Reckon it's poor form.
especially where it was published.
Appearing on the AFL website which first and foremost is to administer the game for all clubs.

Respect to the losing team and the players.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Not for the first time, Jack comes across as a bit precious.

I rated his talent, but at the same time, not sure he'd be in our best 22 atm. Move worked well for both parties.

Reactions: 1 users