Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Oleg Markov was very good for the suns, definitely his best year.
So was Brandon Ellis who has played as well as he ever has in 2021.
Jack Higgins had a decent year for the Saints, I would have thought his best
Dan Butler was nearly AA in 2020
Exactly, Sin. saved me posting the same. Those wanting to think no-one is as good elsewhere after leaving RFC let alone better on this thread are deluded.
IMHO, CCJ can only get better, same for Chol. Think we are headed for the doldrums - a combo of the Dorks/Moggies decline path (over-rating some current players, thinking we can just top-up with further FAs or cast-offs, investing in too many oldsters) which I had believed we were well-positioned to avoid with our quality drafting from years back. I thought in players like CCJ and Chol (plus mids like RCD, Ross and Dow) we had a lot of bases covered for a serviceable ruck/forward who could tide us over until we could find a quality KPF to replace JR8.

But we have become easy pickings for the likes of Suns, Aints and now ... the lowest of the low - Norf. For crap returns. All because of some weird stockpiling of rucks when we needed desperately to recruit mobile marking forwards (like Georgiadis-type) and mids, especially inside mids.

Lot of postings talking of payback for Norf; saying CCJ making a bad decision. Yer, but they have ripped out a very promising young tall from us and could even walk him to the PSD for nothing. Even pick 20 back is way unders - we get nothing for 4 years of development - for someone who cost us $100k from the soft cap this year. Chol similar; we lose on the investment in him. GCS are levelling up for losing Lynch and Prestia slowly if you throw in the $$ gap too.

I'm just worried we have become a soft touch and are heading back to the doldrums. AFL is Darwinian and you can turn from predator to prey very quickly if you start to think you can afford to 'play nice' and give the other kids your turn.

Maybe just my feeling, but I think we have messed this up big time.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
i think the club must be confident in Samson Ryan. He needs to bulk up but shows a lot of promise. Attacks the ball well, a good mark and a straight kick
People keep going on about Ryan but he is totally unproven at AFL level. Like others' high praise, this is all at VFL. We had a guy by the name of McBean who got rave reviews for years for 'star' VFL performances -which he has franked ever since - in the SANFL with a spruiker asking again why he has not made a success on an AFL list! It's not an automatic step-up to playing against the big dogs at AFL and coping/matching it.

Of course, I agree he shows promise and I'd love for him to succeed as Tigers fan, but he has not shown he can cut it at the top level yet, and, in fact, his debut was dismal.
He's a watch at this stage and needs to add about 10kgs to his beanstalk frame eventually. Whereas, CCJ proved he could succeed at senior level this year.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Kid was a wrong choice for his debut game, exposed to early at AFL level n bloody wet as well did the kid no favours. He also copped a ruckman's knock to the front of the knee pretty much first contest he went to.
I'd pretty much be deleting his first run from the memory bank n start again from next year onward.
Watched a few of our VFL games doing a bit of cooties couch potato this year n Delilah goes o.k. I'll be happy to follow his development, think he should have enough tools to step up to the job in future.
I saw some of him too at VFL but AFL is the big time where you meet the serious competition which is much bigger, fitter, faster, heavier, tougher and more skilled.
All I'm saying is that, hopeful we may all be, he is unproven at that level and appears to have a long way to go at this point. Needs development. CCJ was developed; proved he could match it in '21.

Now all depends on Nank and Soldo, neither of whom have KPF traits. Better not get a LT injury - unlike last 2 years. Like another poster called it - think Colina is a myth (like Big Foot!). And Jack is near the end.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Melbourne have set the standard over the last four years. We haven't had the same picks so it's not fair to compare but they have set the standard with sustained excellence at the draft/trade tables.

2017 - Lever, Spargo, Fritsch, Petty.
2018 - May, Sparrow, Jordan.
2019 - Langdon, Jackson, Pickett, Rivers.
2020 - Brown, Bowey.

When you add that to the top end core of Gawn, Pettraca, Oliver and Viney they are set up for a four year plus window of success.
Who do you think set the standard for the previous 3 to 4 years?

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
CCJ didn’t cost us $100k. Realistically he cost us $50k and Stack cost us the other $50k.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
CCJ didn’t cost us $100k. Realistically he cost us $50k and Stack cost us the other $50k.
But if you now calculate the draft value we paid for him, plus 4 years investment, add the paltry return we are likely to obtain for him. It adds up to way overs. Big net loss.
As a minor wine buff, if I buy a bottle of Grange in a sound vintage year for say, $1200, I will not be off-loading it to you after four years careful storage and cellaring for anything under $2000, not $600.
Far better to retain, obviously, watch it mature to its prime, and enjoy sharing it with family/friends in another 5-10 years. ;)

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
But if you now calculate the draft value we paid for him, plus 4 years investment, add the paltry return we are likely to obtain for him. It adds up to way overs. Big net loss.
As a minor wine buff, if I buy a bottle of Grange in a sound vintage year for say, $1200, I will not be off-loading it to you after four years careful storage and cellaring for anything under $2000, not $600.
Far better to retain, obviously, watch it mature to its prime, and enjoy sharing it with family/friends in another 5-10 years. ;)
Read this, couldn’t understand it in relation to my post. Think it’s possible that drinking the Grange may have already started.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Maybe CCJ is corked?

Reactions: 1 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Read this, couldn’t understand it in relation to my post. Think it’s possible that drinking the Grange may have already started.
Alright, mate. Will forget the analogies and just keep it simple. We just got ripped off badly by Norf and CCJ. Ok?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If we get value for CCJ, I'm not really fussed to see either of these blokes go.

Chol is erratic and CCJ has played 1 good game in 4 years, and I reckon is 50/50 whether he becomes a serviceable player or a VFL player.

I can't really see him becoming a star.

But we definitely need to draft a blue chip KPF this year.
Bit tough on CJ. He's only played 8 games and didn't really get a lot of opportunities. Pretty sure he was in the bests for most if not all VFL games this year. CJ will be a very good player imo. If either Nanks or Soldo or Reiwoldt or Lynch go down next year we're in the deep end. Saying that 4-5 year contract for over $2mill is too much at 22yo.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Bit tough on CJ. He's only played 8 games and didn't really get a lot of opportunities. Pretty sure he was in the bests for most if not all VFL games this year. CJ will be a very good player imo. If either Nanks or Soldo or Reiwoldt or Lynch go down next year we're in the deep end. Saying that 4-5 year contract for over $2mill is too much at 22yo.

yeah I could be wrong.

Its happened once.

But I reckon snakeyness is a prerequisite in a ruckman, and I dont reckon CCJ has it.

Brad Ottens made the most notable exception to my rule after he left, so its plausible, though unlikely.

if someone swiped Sampson Ryans kebab at 1 am on the Gold Coast, im pretty sure the bloke would need to pass a concussion test at the nightclub door.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
This isn't sour grapes, been saying it for 18 months, my own view, and the clubs actions both in not giving him games and not matching the offer suggests they agree, is that he'll be a solid to middling player but no star. Solid players are replaceable.

Reactions: 7 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
We've gone from probably having the best stocks of KPF/second rucks in the competition, to being hugely fragile in that space. Right now I can't see the smart list management in that.

As for compensation I'd brace yourself for disappointment.
Counter view is that we redirected resources to an area of greater need. Very, very comfortable with Nank and Eeevan. We really do need to address our mids however as a matter of urgency.

Reactions: 5 users