Callum Coleman-Jones Welcome to Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Jones Welcome to Richmond

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Maybe. I'd like to see it in action.
CJ has been exposed at the top level for one game. There's a bit of a honeymoon period here.
Not saying he won't be a good AFL player but until we've seen the evidence, it's all just speculation based on potential (geez I hate that word) at this point.
It is speculation but he is a real ridgy didge player. Born ruckman who accumulates possession, stands with strength and purpose under the high ball, clunks his marks, uses well within his limitations. In his one game 2 years ago he still collects 13 possessions and 5 tackles in 63% game time. He is better and stronger now!

Reactions: 5 users

Tigers of Old

Proud of our Club.
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It is speculation but he is a real ridgy didge player. Born ruckman who accumulates possession, stands with strength and purpose under the high ball, clunks his marks, uses well within his limitations. In his one game 2 years ago he still collects 13 possessions and 5 tackles in 63% game time. He is better and stronger now!
Haha you get bonus points for the use of 'ridgy didge' lamby. Haven't heard that used in decades!:))
On that basis I'm on the CJ train.:mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Agree with most of that, except the "Marlion makes CCJ redundant as a ruckman".

Marlion did a great job against the Saints who were undermanned in the ruck department, and he definitely gives us the option of giving Nank a chop out, but I'm not sure we can get away with it against sides who have two genuine ruckman, such as the Dogs and the Dees.
I don't think Marlion would go up against Gawn too often, but Luke Jackson is an emerging talent and will be too good for Marlion on Saturday night.
I don't know who goes out, but I'd like to see CCJ come in against the Dees.
I am sure I put a smiley face after the Marlion reference but apparently not Who know, maybe he has!

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I am sure I put a smiley face after the Marlion reference but apparently not Who know, maybe he has!
It happened again. Why are my emojis disappearing. What am I doing wrong?

:) :oops: :(

Well they worked that time!

Please disregard my ramblings!!! :help

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2016
I'd say yes. The game has changed/ Lock it in the forward line doesn't work as well as it did. The pressure work has been pushed to the wings and midfield. Ergo more space for the big men and also more important that marks are taken rather than the ball being run out. CCJ in makes both Jack and Lynchy more dangerous. Pity Marlion makes CCJ redundant as a ruckman

In theory, wouldn’t it be the opposite?

There’s more space, so more marks on the lead, and less contested marks attempted in packs? And marks on the lead are won with smarts and/or pace?

So, wouldn’t a slower 195cm+ player struggle to capitalise on that space as well as a 175-185cm forward?

Almost all of the great forwards in AFL history weren’t that tall, and the most successful team of the modern era built their game on the smallest forward line in the comp, so why should we play 3 tall forwards? (The best one is a flanker ;) ). I know defenders are getting taller, but that extra 10cm in height is useless if they’re 10cm too slow to react on the lead. Apologies for the rant, I’ve been entrenched in this view since 2017 lol, to the extent that I was even against picking up Lynch, so I might be on the extreme end!

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
In theory, wouldn’t it be the opposite?

There’s more space, so more marks on the lead, and less contested marks attempted in packs?

A slow 195cm+ player would struggle to capitalise on that space as well as a 175-185cm forward.

Compared to today’s trend, almost all of the great forwards in AFL history weren’t that tall, and the most successful team of the modern era built their game on the smallest forward line in the comp, so where is the argument to support 3 tall forwards? I know defenders are getting taller, but that extra 10cm in height is useless if they’re 10cm too slow to react on the lead. Sorry for the rant, I’ve been entrenched in this view since 2017 lol, to the extent that I was even against picking up Lynch, so I might be on the extreme end!
You should have been at the VFL game 123cups. A lead up at left half forward by CCJ was a thing of beauty. I had called the outcome to my son before it happened. CCJ just timed and angled his lead so that his huge frame absolutely protected any attempt to spoil form behind. Great mitts in front of the body. Easy mark even though there was a cigarette paper width between him and the defender. Missed the shot though!

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You should have been at the VFL game 123cups. A lead up at left half forward by CCJ was a thing of beauty. I had called the outcome to my son before it happened. CCJ just timed and angled his lead so that his huge frame absolutely protected any attempt to spoil form behind. Great mitts in front of the body. Easy mark even though there was a cigarette paper width between him and the defender. Missed the shot though!
what were his stats?

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
We are going to wear out Nanks in the same way we did Maric if we are not careful so instead of using undersized as ruck chop outs we need a bona fide ruck /forward to support Nanks Right now CCJ is the ideal choice as Chol has been found wanting. CCJ has shown at VFL he can mark, can ruck, can kick and tackle and not bad at ground level so lets give him a chance

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
We played Nank/Soldo for a number of games. Soldo wasn't exactly Usain Bolt.

Get him in!
Maybe Soldo wasn't fast but not many enjoyed rucking against that big lug or being hit by him. CCJ hasn't got Ivan's build or aggression as yet but I agree we need to blood him this week to see what he has got. I reckon he can do us proud

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Didn't see much wrong with our game against St. Kiddenme. We've run the one ruck n Grigga successfully before so happy to continue trialing Fish in a similar role, he's a more competitive ruck than Grigga, so it's not an issue for me. At our swarming best, we don't need extra lumbering talls in the squad. We get more than plenty of value from our smalls n mediums running amok.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
We will run Nank into the ground if we dont find him genuine ruck support. Would be an extremely dumb error to make cooking him so early in the season.

Reactions: 1 user