Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The position with our rucks is going to get interesting.

Cameron-Jones, Chol, Colina, Nankervis, Ryan and Soldo.

We also have Astbury, Balta, Lynch and now Pickett, who have done well in support.

The first 6 are all relatively young with futures in front. At least 3 Nank, Soldo and CJ have now shown enough to attract interest from outside.

The point is that while we are over stocked to billy-0, several clubs are short of rucks and a couple are even more desperate than that.
The bulldogs and GWS are two such clubs and any dealing for Bontinpelli or Green is likely to involve one of our rucks?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'd say yes. The game has changed/ Lock it in the forward line doesn't work as well as it did. The pressure work has been pushed to the wings and midfield. Ergo more space for the big men and also more important that marks are taken rather than the ball being run out. CCJ in makes both Jack and Lynchy more dangerous. Pity Marlion makes CCJ redundant as a ruckman
Maybe. I'd like to see it in action.
CJ has been exposed at the top level for one game. There's a bit of a honeymoon period here.
Not saying he won't be a good AFL player but until we've seen the evidence, it's all just speculation based on potential (geez I hate that word) at this point.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I think last year has meant players like CCJ and RCD get another year on what would be usual given their lack of VFL form and it being much harder than normal breaking into a Premiership team.

I suspect they will get opportunities at some point in 2021 - agree CCJ could come this week given Melb are a tall team and we tend to like to throw our young players into big games.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'd say yes. The game has changed/ Lock it in the forward line doesn't work as well as it did. The pressure work has been pushed to the wings and midfield. Ergo more space for the big men and also more important that marks are taken rather than the ball being run out. CCJ in makes both Jack and Lynchy more dangerous. Pity Marlion makes CCJ redundant as a ruckman
Agree with most of that, except the "Marlion makes CCJ redundant as a ruckman".

Marlion did a great job against the Saints who were undermanned in the ruck department, and he definitely gives us the option of giving Nank a chop out, but I'm not sure we can get away with it against sides who have two genuine ruckman, such as the Dogs and the Dees.
I don't think Marlion would go up against Gawn too often, but Luke Jackson is an emerging talent and will be too good for Marlion on Saturday night.
I don't know who goes out, but I'd like to see CCJ come in against the Dees.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I would play him for 2 reasons. We need to blood a replacement key forward and we have to relieve Nank in the ruck. But it does make us slower and takes away from our swarming game. Tough choice

Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I would play him for 2 reasons. We need to blood a replacement key forward and we have to relieve Nank in the ruck. But it does make us slower and takes away from our swarming game. Tough choice

I know we are very reluctant to tinker with our system, but there is merit to playing him this week, particularly if May plays.

If May goes to Lynch, and Tomlinson goes to Riewoldt, we could use an aerial threat to keep Lever accountable.

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I know we are very reluctant to tinker with our system, but there is merit to playing him this week, particularly if May plays.

If May goes to Lynch, and Tomlinson goes to Riewoldt, we could use an aerial threat to keep Lever accountable.

Agree with you both
But for me it’s the opportunity to take some the workload off Nank that’s the main reason
Dunno what Nanks game minutes played have been - but letting CCJ have a crack is better than Dave, Balta and Marlion
And if CCJ really does show something in the ruck then it means Nank could have a week off down the track if required
Meanwhile having CCJ take a grab or two up forward would be a real bonus

Reactions: 6 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
i like Malion closer to goal, CCJ time is now

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!

Surely May isn’t playing. He cops one knock and he will be done.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
If CCJ can’t get a game this week, then it would appear he’s only a break glass in case of an emergency player for us.
It’s now or maybe never considering Melbourne’s tall brigade

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Maybe. I'd like to see it in action.
CJ has been exposed at the top level for one game. There's a bit of a honeymoon period here.
Not saying he won't be a good AFL player but until we've seen the evidence, it's all just speculation based on potential (geez I hate that word) at this point.
It is speculation but he is a real ridgy didge player. Born ruckman who accumulates possession, stands with strength and purpose under the high ball, clunks his marks, uses well within his limitations. In his one game 2 years ago he still collects 13 possessions and 5 tackles in 63% game time. He is better and stronger now!

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It is speculation but he is a real ridgy didge player. Born ruckman who accumulates possession, stands with strength and purpose under the high ball, clunks his marks, uses well within his limitations. In his one game 2 years ago he still collects 13 possessions and 5 tackles in 63% game time. He is better and stronger now!
Haha you get bonus points for the use of 'ridgy didge' lamby. Haven't heard that used in decades!:))
On that basis I'm on the CJ train.:mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Agree with most of that, except the "Marlion makes CCJ redundant as a ruckman".

Marlion did a great job against the Saints who were undermanned in the ruck department, and he definitely gives us the option of giving Nank a chop out, but I'm not sure we can get away with it against sides who have two genuine ruckman, such as the Dogs and the Dees.
I don't think Marlion would go up against Gawn too often, but Luke Jackson is an emerging talent and will be too good for Marlion on Saturday night.
I don't know who goes out, but I'd like to see CCJ come in against the Dees.
I am sure I put a smiley face after the Marlion reference but apparently not Who know, maybe he has!

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I am sure I put a smiley face after the Marlion reference but apparently not Who know, maybe he has!
It happened again. Why are my emojis disappearing. What am I doing wrong?

:) :oops: :(

Well they worked that time!

Please disregard my ramblings!!! :help

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

In theory, wouldn’t it be the opposite?

There’s more space, so more marks on the lead, and less contested marks attempted in packs? And marks on the lead are won with smarts and/or pace?

So, wouldn’t a slower 195cm+ player struggle to capitalise on that space as well as a 175-185cm forward?

Almost all of the great forwards in AFL history weren’t that tall, and the most successful team of the modern era built their game on the smallest forward line in the comp, so why should we play 3 tall forwards? (The best one is a flanker ;) ). I know defenders are getting taller, but that extra 10cm in height is useless if they’re 10cm too slow to react on the lead. Apologies for the rant, I’ve been entrenched in this view since 2017 lol, to the extent that I was even against picking up Lynch, so I might be on the extreme end!